Your most moronic audio purchase
Apr 16, 2003 at 7:01 AM Post #31 of 60
Quote:

Originally posted by HappymaN
Who says I've made any moronic purchases?
very_evil_smiley.gif

I really don't think I have made any, because I was very lucky to be steered in the right direction by a lot of 20, and 30-year audiophiles many years back. I bought a lot of Denon, and Klipsch gear which is always good for the dollar. If there ever was a time that I was a moron it would of been when a guy came in to the audio store I was working at with a pair of Unity Audio floor standers, and a huge Parasound amp looking for money, because he was going to lose his house. He didn't have a tear in his eye, but it was close. I will never forget the look he gave me for the rest of my life. There was no way I could have lived with myself if I would took those off his hands for his asking price of almost nothing.

Apr 16, 2003 at 10:13 AM Post #32 of 60
Quote:

Originally posted by radrd
So far, everything that says "Sennheiser" that I own has been a moronic purchase.

My 495 is fine, but I bought it when all I had was a pcdp. I actually needed a closed headphone that could easily be driven and I bought the opposite.
rolleyes.gif
Wish I would have bought Etys then...
very_evil_smiley.gif

The HD280 is okay, but the bass isn't significant enough for gaming. It's a good headphone; I like it fine for music, but when I bought it I was aiming at a good gaming headphone. I should have gone with the V6 or better yet the Beyer DT250-80 because I didn't have an amp at the time.

Those aren't really moronic, but I could have had $200 to spend on other stuff if I had done my homework a lot better on the 495 and not bought into the HD280 hype that was floating around here.
rolleyes.gif

wow, quite the opposite for me, all the Sennheiser I've purchased (read: HD580) is what brings joy to my collection
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 16, 2003 at 12:13 PM Post #33 of 60
Back in the my early audiophile years I bought a Carver receiver which was pretty horrendous. Traded it in on a Mission Cyrus I which I still own though it's slightly modified.

Also back in the day I purchased a pair of speakers (I can't for the life of me remember the manufacturers name) that sounded decent at the shop. I got them home and they turned out to have treble that would rip your face off. Needless to say they didn't last long in the stable.

I actually probably made a lot of moronic purchases when I first got into audio back in the mid 80's. There were no real audiophiles or high end stores around here and not a lot of access to information so I did a lot of trial and error learning in the beginning.

My worst purchase was probably a Carver receiver which was pretty horrendous. Traded it in on a Mission Cyrus I which I still own though it's slightly modified.

Also back in the day I purchased a pair of speakers (I can't for the life of me remember the manufacturers name) that sounded decent at the shop. I got them home and they turned out to have treble that would rip your face off. Needless to say they didn't last long in the stable.

Apr 16, 2003 at 12:56 PM Post #34 of 60
The X-Can V2 - I soon realised what a superfluous peice of equipment it was and got rid of it within a week. What a waste.

Also, probably my Sony R900 minidisc. I never use it! (CD burner = Bliss). I think minidisc is beginning to have "obsolete" written all over it. (Unless of course your in Japan).

Apr 16, 2003 at 2:28 PM Post #35 of 60
Quote:

Originally posted by CaptBubba
Fear me, for I have the ultimite evil!

The Monkeys sing Christmas Songs, on lp.

No, I have not listened to it, nor so I intend to.

I must find that LP! It would be great for Christmas compilations.

My most recent moronic purchase was music...

Last week I bought a CD by a male vocal group called Chanticleer because I could not remember the name of the male vocal group Jude raved about here (Cantus)....I got it home and put it on and by the third track I had a headache from all the male sopranos. As beautiful as this may sound to many people..it is not my cup of tea.

Plus..it cost $18.99 at Tower and the sales man swore to me that this must be the group I was describing to him. And even if it wasn't..."it's a great CD"

That will teach me not to write things down.

Apr 16, 2003 at 4:30 PM Post #37 of 60
Hey elnero; Is that a new kind of double post?

While the Monkey's sing christmas music my be a winner here, I have Frampton Comes Alive and a Frankie Goes to Hollywood album. Plus KC and The Sunshine Band.

After reading elnero's post I am sure glad that I couldn't afford Carver stuff back in the 80s, or I would have had some.

Apr 16, 2003 at 5:54 PM Post #38 of 60
I have long since passed my moronic period and most of my audio purchases are based on research and auditions.Before then............ I bought a pair of Bose 901,at FULL RETAIL .I bought a B&O music system because it "looked cool".I traded a pristine Fisher 800B a pair of Dynaco ST 70s and a very nice set of Wharfedale speakers for DJ equipment when I was really stupid and much younger.Recently I believed the hype and purchased Philips HP890 headphones,never again.

Apr 16, 2003 at 5:56 PM Post #39 of 60
I think that I have the winner -

Mac Davis' "I Sing The Hits"

I can not say that this was a purchase I made but, it has been in my album collection for over 20 years.
I don not know where it came from (even if I did, I would not admit it).

Apr 16, 2003 at 6:37 PM Post #40 of 60
Well, my list of moronic purchases consists of the following items:
  1. Sony MDR-V600: What a piece of crap it is, especially for the $100 price that it sells for at stores!!
  2. Sony Street Style 'phones (various models): Cool looking, but lame sounding. Sheep in wolves' clothing.
  3. Sony D-EJ815 PCDP: Too bad I didm't have an amp at all when I had that PCDP. Its headphone out distorts badly at 60% of maximum volume, regardless of which headphones that I used with it.

Any questions?

Apr 16, 2003 at 7:59 PM Post #41 of 60
I did post here about "wish me luck".
Since listening to El Hammer I have fallen down a flight of stairs, bashed my (nearly nonesistent so that's not such a huge deal) nose quite severely and also going into my kitchen where I have all my mountain bikes stored at the moment a couple of hours ago, I had a Brooklyn Machine Works Shinburger pedal - vs - my private parts interface. If you're a keen MTB'er you will probably have a measure of my pain.

Conclusion: Nothing good comes out of Hammer.

Apr 16, 2003 at 9:38 PM Post #42 of 60
probably buying a nameless plastic sony pcdp to "upgrade" my sony d-777 which i had for a few years already. well, the plastic sony job broke within a few months, sounded like crap, had no line out, and the d-777 is still going strong. in fact i'm using it right now--it fits nicely on top of my meta42.
biggrin.gif

Apr 16, 2003 at 9:54 PM Post #43 of 60
Almost everything Sony!!!!
very_evil_smiley.gif

I couldnt help it, but it is soooooo close to being the absolute truth for me. Note i say for me and not anybody else......
biggrin.gif

D

Apr 17, 2003 at 12:25 AM Post #44 of 60
I bought an open box Sharp MD-MS702 minidisc recorder, the one that had the uTOC error. But didn't use it very much until after the warranty had expired. So I was stuck with a worthless MD recorder.

Apr 17, 2003 at 4:49 AM Post #45 of 60
Dang... just realized my most moronic buy. Spending so much money paying for those AH-D550s before moving into the dorms. I can't believe how horrible my ears were back then.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back