Your Most Highly Anticipated Album Ever
Apr 27, 2005 at 4:18 AM Post #16 of 50
Smashing Pumpkins - Machina. I skipped school to get it at Best Buy the day it was released. Went home and played it all day through my old Bose 301 speakers
biggrin.gif

Apr 27, 2005 at 4:57 AM Post #17 of 50
I was really looking forward to Synchronicity by the Police and bought it the day it came out. I was disappointed at first but the album grew on me over time. I never liked it as much as as Ghost in the Machine though, which was and is an excellent album and was the main reason I was looking forward to Synchronicity so much.

Right now I'm really looking forward to Sarah Chang's recording of Shostakovich VC #1 which she is supposed to be recording this fall. I will definitely buy that one the first day it is available.

MJ

Apr 27, 2005 at 6:32 AM Post #19 of 50
Quote:

Led zeppelin
In Through the Out Door

Were we ever disappointed!
mad.gif

I don't think I've anticipated to quite that degree since. Besides being pleasantly suprised has it's own rewards.
cool.gif

Apr 27, 2005 at 6:00 PM Post #23 of 50
A while back:
Massive Attack - 100th Window
...a little dissapointed

A little while ago:
Microbunny - Dead Stars
...just as good as their first album, quite impressed

Recently:
Iron & Wine - Woman King
...LOVE it!
biggrin.gif

Apr 27, 2005 at 6:47 PM Post #24 of 50
Meat Loaf / Jim Steinman -- Bat Out Of Hell II: Back Into Hell

Apr 27, 2005 at 7:46 PM Post #25 of 50
Radiohead - "Kid A"

I loved "The Bends" and eagerly waited for "OK Computer." After "OK Computer's" strength, it was hard not to get really excited about "Kid A." The finished product wasn't what I expected, but in hindsight I'm glad that they didn't try to make "OK Computer 2."

Doves - "Last Broadcast"

"Lost Souls" was so coherent and deep that I couldn't wait for "Last Broadcast." Not a good follow-up.

Bjork - "Medulla"

Uggh . . . what a disappointment!

Smashing Pumpkins - "Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness"

I didn't really care for it at the time, mainly because I was looking for "Siamese Dream Part 2," but in hindsight it is a really strong album. It just took me a few years to come to terms with it.

I can think of dozens of others bands (Sunny Day Real Estate, Spearhead, Rage Against the Machine, Dream Theater, Metallica, Counting Crows, Pearl Jam, Mars Volta, and many, many more) whose albums I have anticipated and I've come to a conclusion: I tend not to like the final product as much as I imagine I will. I've pretty much stopped worrying about new albums from a band. I'll buy them when they come out, but I won't overanticipate their release.

I just thought of another one:

Emerson Quartet - Shostakovich String Quartets

I had the single CD of No. 8 and really enjoy it. I thought about buying the complete set for a long time, but always balked at the price. Yourmusic.com had it for $30, so I jumped on it. Maybe I just need more time with the others, but No. 8 still seems to be "more special" than the other quartets.

Bryan

Apr 27, 2005 at 7:57 PM Post #26 of 50
Police Synchromicity in 83'
Eric Johnson Venus Isle (man he took his time on that one)
David lee Roth eat em and smile in 86'

More recently:
Bunch of recent Dreamtheater stuff - 6 degrees of inner turbulence, train of thought, live at Budokan, their double DVD live set- Images and words Live in tokyo and 5 years in a live time. I just ordered their "Master of puppets" cover... waiting for that one too.

**edit**

How could I forget the Ozzy Randy Rhoads tribute...

Garrett

Apr 27, 2005 at 11:32 PM Post #27 of 50
The Clash Combat Rock - 1982
Seemed like forever between Combat Rock and Sandinista, with all kinds of rumors flying around that Joe Strummer was missing, or Topper Headon was dead... Mind you this was before the internet, so we had no real source of information about anything that was going on in England.

Turned out to be a bit of a mixed bag...I really liked "Should I Stay or Should I Go?" until they started playing it every other minute on the radio. Funny thing when your favorite underground band gets popular...you're happy for them, but at the same time you want all those fair-weather newbie fans to just back off(!) or at least give you the credit you feel you deserve for "discovering" them in the first place.

Apr 28, 2005 at 1:51 AM Post #28 of 50
Cool thread...

I actually thought about this one for a couple of minutes - went back to the High School/College Days; wanted something cool to spit out.

Nope just NIN - The Downward Spiral

We looked forward to it for a year, and senior Year I thought the camera shutter in Reptile and the Drums in March of the Pigs were the coolest ever. And of course, Heresy was just an awesome tell the world to farck off song.

Apr 28, 2005 at 2:37 AM Post #29 of 50
I guess Velvet Revolver's Contraband, but that was also partly because I had tickets to see them the same day the album was released. The CD was great while being blasted on the way to the show, but now it's dissapointing because the studio didn't capture the power they have live.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back