Your life in your own regard
Sep 26, 2005 at 7:30 AM Post #32 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by Aman
...We were born because something lead two people to meet. That thing that lead that even was spawned by something else, and etc., etc. My posting in this thread, to use that analogy again, will spawn an infinite chain of events that we had absolutely no control over, because this post to begin with was also spawned by another part of the chain. The chain is created with absolutely no choices - because choices are things that we actually can decide on. We may THINK we have choices, but our existence was in fact determined by the first atom to enter space, and its reaction that came as a result of its existence.

^ MIT stuff there
biggrin.gif

Aman =
choice9_1_th.jpg

It's funny. You do sound exactly like The Architect. I too respectfully disagree with your statement. Much like Neo you have a choice. You could leave your house in the morning and be struck and killed 5 minutes later. If you wait 6 minutes before leaving you survive. Are you saying all choices are predetermined? I chose to take up target shooting. Wasn't very good at it at first, but I usually get a bullseye every time I shoot. Now on the other hand I have a friend who had never shot a gun in her life and she chose to got out shooting with me. She was dead-accurate from bullet one. She chose as well, and yet her path was different than mine. I don't think one could say that choices make no difference and it is all predetermined.

matrixreloaded3.jpg

Choice... the problem is choice

Sep 26, 2005 at 7:31 AM Post #33 of 47
Back to the original question...

Waiting to to something great...

Sep 26, 2005 at 7:39 AM Post #35 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by Naga
How do you see/regard your own existence on this world?

Like Popeye (a great philosopher)... "I yam what I yam and that's all what I yam."
tongue.gif

Sep 26, 2005 at 7:44 AM Post #36 of 47
i see myself as the controller of my life, i regard my existance as an oppertunity to take the most experience/enjoyment/knowlege away with me when i die.
i am a lillte bit pissed that this perticular existance has to happen here and now, since everything that happens that i have no control over seems to have pretty crapty consiquences. i hate the news.
blah blah blah, angsty teenage rant, blah blah blah (im not actually teen-age) blah blah blah.

Sep 26, 2005 at 1:42 PM Post #40 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by Glod
Yes, I agree. Parenthood makes you realize the simplicity and naked beauty of life.

It is so rewarding. I don’t care if I will be gone soon, I have planted a tree, and it will hopefully see an offspring too. And it another, [size=xx-small]and it another…[/size]

I agree with you (and kramer5150) to a point, but I would add that parenthood is a beginning and not an end in and of itself. Good parenting can make the world a better place (and give a sense of personal meaning to the parent). But bad parenting (sadly there is too much of that) only creates more misery on the planet.

And I also think it is possible that people who do not have children (whether by choice or not) can still relate to that joy if they achieve what I would answer to the orignial post in the thread:

I see/regard my own existence as an opportunity to achieve harmony with all the inter-related life on this planet, while striving to minimize the suffering that is inevitably part of that life. Oh, and I like "sex, drugs, and rock and roll" as well.

Sep 26, 2005 at 1:54 PM Post #41 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by rauer
[size=medium]42[/size]

Heh, that's my HF-1 number
rolleyes.gif

Sep 26, 2005 at 3:22 PM Post #43 of 47
woah! damn! You guys need to lay off the Dawkins!

"my life is nothing more than particles of spaghetti floating around doing nothing blah blah blah blah"

can we get the Emo patrol in here? I kid, I kid.

Do me a favor and go out and buy some fruit, (in oregon, you might've just missed the plums, but I'm sure you can find something good) take a bite and think about how it tastes.

pretty good, huh?

Sep 27, 2005 at 6:52 AM Post #45 of 47
I tend to believe life has no objective purpose, but it certainly has a subjective one. In other words, both the need for a purpose, and the purpose itself, comes directly from us.

In a sense, all of us live in separate, parallel universes that occasionally intersect.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back