Your life in your own regard
Sep 25, 2005 at 6:47 PM Post #17 of 47
Scientists are one step away from proving that everything that ever happens is a result of something else:

The mathematical formula.

If it gets proven, all of the people saying that we have willpower and we have choices will be dead wrong - caught in their own traps they set themselves.

After all, it was inevitable that I was going to post in this thread, isn't it? Because, well, I'm doing it. It's not like there was any other option for me, because I chose one thing and I did it; there's no way you can prove that wrong. We were born because something lead two people to meet. That thing that lead that even was spawned by something else, and etc., etc. My posting in this thread, to use that analogy again, will spawn an infinite chain of events that we had absolutely no control over, because this post to begin with was also spawned by another part of the chain. The chain is created with absolutely no choices - because choices are things that we actually can decide on. We may THINK we have choices, but our existence was in fact determined by the first atom to enter space, and its reaction that came as a result of its existence.

^ MIT stuff there
biggrin.gif

Sep 25, 2005 at 6:54 PM Post #18 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by South_Korean
im in high-school so im still searching for a meaning.

I'm with him. Let me get through a couple years of college and being in real life, then I'll give you an answer.

Sep 25, 2005 at 8:23 PM Post #21 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lazarus Short
A lot of it is strange, with things changing in wierd and unpredicable ways.

I had a dream the other day in which I shifted time around me, it was coooo....l!!!

I had also turned my dorm room into this freaking huge flat, it was crazy and I had lots of guitars and carried an ESP M1000 into my room I felt so goood....nice guitar
biggrin.gif

Sep 25, 2005 at 10:37 PM Post #22 of 47
Quote:

substance abuser.

Dont feel bad, I quite often yell at mine

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aman
After all, it was inevitable that I was going to post in this thread, isn't it? Because, well, I'm doing it. It's not like there was any other option for me, because I chose one thing and I did it; there's no way you can prove that wrong. We were born because something lead two people to meet. That thing that lead that even was spawned by something else, and etc., etc. My posting in this thread, to use that analogy again, will spawn an infinite chain of events that we had absolutely no control over, because this post to begin with was also spawned by another part of the chain. The chain is created with absolutely no choices - because choices are things that we actually can decide on. We may THINK we have choices, but our existence was in fact determined by the first atom to enter space, and its reaction that came as a result of its existence.

I tend to disagree with this line of reasoning. The chain may be caused by choices, and our choices in and of themselves may have influences from other causes, other links in the chain, but in the end, they are still our choices. I can see how you would argue, if what gives us choice is our personality, and our personality is influenced and shaped by external pressures and influences, how can we have true choice? Because we are all different people, we have different souls, different minds, and yes, different bits of the chain ourselves. If another person replaced me in this life, if I was someone else, and never existed, would they be posting on headfi? Would they be responding to it the way I am? Would they have corrected that spelling mistake, or used these exact words? Would they be sitting in a laurier library, with saucony runners on, a timex watch and a warhammer 40k book under their foot which is propped on the tower. Would some of these be the same? Quite possibly, one could even say probably. But saying that they would all be exact, that I am only shaped by the events that have happened before me, in effect denies any soul or creator (I didn't want to get into religon because we aren't supposed to, but in a thread like this you can't not.) Unfortunately I am not at liberty to discuss my worldviews or beliefs, so I will simply say that I disagree.

Sep 25, 2005 at 10:45 PM Post #23 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by kramer5150
Only one word comes to mind... "Daddy"

Yes, I agree. Parenthood makes you realize the simplicity and naked beauty of life.

It is so rewarding. I don’t care if I will be gone soon, I have planted a tree, and it will hopefully see an offspring too. And it another, [size=xx-small]and it another…[/size]

Sep 26, 2005 at 3:43 AM Post #24 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by Naga
How do you see/regard your own existence on this world?

'Tis all a checkerboard of nights and days
Where Destiny with men for pieces plays.
Hither and thither moves and mates and slays,
And one by one back in the closet lays

So far, so good.
smily_headphones1.gif

BW

Sep 26, 2005 at 4:30 AM Post #27 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bill Ward
'Tis all a checkerboard of nights and days
Where Destiny with men for pieces plays.
Hither and thither moves and mates and slays,
And one by one back in the closet lays

So far, so good.
smily_headphones1.gif

BW

Omar Khayyam!? You sneaky dog, you!
eek.gif

I'll one up yah

"My candle burns at both ends; It will not last the night; But, ah, my foes, and, oh, my friends - it gives a lovely light."

cheers

Sep 26, 2005 at 4:37 AM Post #28 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by Naga
How do you see/regard your own existence on this world?

I am on this world simply to take up space/air/ resources.
My goal in life is to die alone and un-noticed. I don't want to leave any impact or legacy. When I'm gone, I want no one to notice that I have left.
Until that time comes, I just want people to like me, but not too much. I don't want anyone feeling close to me. I'm just here.

Sep 26, 2005 at 4:37 AM Post #29 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by sleepkyng
Omar Khayyam!? You sneaky dog, you!
eek.gif

I'll one up yah

"My candle burns at both ends; It will not last the night; But, ah, my foes, and, oh, my friends - it gives a lovely light."

cheers

I concede to Edna St. Vincent Millay.
smily_headphones1.gif

BW

Users who are viewing this thread

Back