Your Length of Computer Use Per Day
Mar 9, 2008 at 3:49 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 47

iKonoKlast

100+ Head-Fier
So I'm wondering how much time everyone spends in front of their computer... I've recently fully realized that for me it's about 10-12 hours on an average day. On weekends, it's virtually my entire day, minus eating time.

I'm in college now and it's true that I don't go out or socialize much. I see this just as a transitional period before I move on to my career, and I don't like wasting my time going to parties getting drunk and trying to know people.

I probably won't be changing my computer use habits anytime soon, especially because I do all of my homework and studying on it, but it's becoming a growing concern because I've realized a discomfort in my eyes and they're red all around the pupil... I can see the veins in my eyeballs pretty clearly. Does anyone else experience this? I'm also pretty tired all the time, although I'm getting about 7 hours of sleep a day (although at irregular hours... usually about 6am to 1:30pm)... maybe I should start working out again...

Mar 9, 2008 at 4:08 AM Post #3 of 47
About 10-12 hours per day. Mostly because there's no choice at the office, with e-mail, research and writing being most of what I do. I'll spend a couple hours more at night, but try to get in some "real world" time, too. I'd like to spend more time in the real world.

Mar 9, 2008 at 4:14 AM Post #5 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by iKonoKlast /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've realized a discomfort in my eyes and they're red all around the pupil... I can see the veins in my eyeballs pretty clearly. Does anyone else experience this?

jesus, if you have to turn down the brightness. my lcd brightness and contrast is usually 30/100 or below.

Mar 9, 2008 at 4:31 AM Post #6 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by terrymx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
jesus, if you have to turn down the brightness. my lcd brightness and contrast is usually 30/100 or below.

Thanks, that could be it. I recently got a new display and I've turned down the brightness... by quite a drastic margin and it's much easier on the eyes!

Mar 9, 2008 at 4:53 AM Post #9 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by iKonoKlast /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm also pretty tired all the time, although I'm getting about 7 hours of sleep a day (although at irregular hours... usually about 6am to 1:30pm)... maybe I should start working out again...

Yeah, I certainly find that I sleep better and more regularily when I work-out consistently.

I generally spend ~4 hours on the computer, on average throughout the week. I have decided I steel my resolve and turn my computer off most of the time I am home so I can focus on more important things that posting on Head-fi- like actually actively listening to headphones.

Mar 9, 2008 at 6:36 AM Post #10 of 47
there are some eyes excercise you can do also. after every hour of starring at the screen, i do one of these:

a. roll your eyes around the outter of your socket very slow clockwize and ccw. or stretch them far out in four directions.

b. have your index finger vertical 6-12" away from you, concerntrate on it and then something very far away behind it.

c. close your eyes and softly slide down your flat palm from above and over your eyes, rest in that position for about 3minutes.

d. use two fingers to softly massage the upper and lower of your eyes.

e. wash eyes with warm watter or use the eye dropper.

*you may look very weird doing these things, especially b.

also to prevent eye strains, have other light source on beside the computer monitor.

[size=xx-small]if you don't need glasses, don't wear them. (alleged conspiracy)[/size]

Mar 9, 2008 at 7:16 AM Post #11 of 47
2 to 3 hours a day. Lots of stuff I enjoy doing, don't want to spend too much time on any one thing.

Mar 9, 2008 at 8:27 AM Post #12 of 47
I'm the 14+, just to clear up who has no life
wink.gif

Mar 9, 2008 at 8:39 AM Post #13 of 47
8-9 hours a day...
I have 7 hour working days, of which I have 30 minute lunch break and other time outside the office. But guess I spend 5 hours in front of the computer.
Then add 2-3 hours in the evening, after returning home.

Guess I am above average.
tongue.gif

Mar 9, 2008 at 12:24 PM Post #14 of 47
Well, after school, depending on the ammount of homework, and if any needs the pc/laptop, 4-6 hours, if i have no homework about 6 hours, either laptop, in the lounge on head-fi browsing the web and watching tv.

At weekends, depending on homework/coursework, almost all day on the web.

I voted 4-6 though as thats my most frequent, 5 days a week.

Edit: Longer on fridays as i stay up later. Weekdays i get home around 4.15 and go to bed at 10.

Mar 9, 2008 at 1:10 PM Post #15 of 47
Probably around 4 hours. Whenever I am free, I am refreshing head-fi.org and listening to my music. lol The gf hates it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back