Your Kind Recommendations: High Resolution Headphones
Jan 1, 2009 at 7:19 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 26

cyanbomb

100+ Head-Fier
I once again seek the combined wisdom of my fellow head-fiers!

I'm looking to spend anywhere between $200 - $500 on a pair of very high-resolution headphones. They should ideally be able to:
i) Resolve tiny nuances and details in the music
ii) Have a realistic soundstage (i.e. not "add" anything to the dimensions of the original recording).
iii) Be inherently musical, despite their analytical ability.

Are there any 'phones out there that fit the bill?
Also, as a kind of indulgence, I really like the look of AKGs... are there any AKG headphones that have the kind of properties I'm looking for?

The reason I want these headphones to be able to resolve such detail, is that I want to be able to use them to review headphone amps/cables/sources as effectively as possible.
smily_headphones1.gif

Thanks for the help!

Jan 1, 2009 at 8:20 AM Post #4 of 26
I for one think the K701's are not that detailed. However, the only very detailed headphone I know of that might somehow be in the proximity of your price range is the W5000 used.

If you don't mind getting older headphones, the K340's are a nice option (green back). For about 200$ I guess you can find a pair in the fs forums.
You can also mod them quite easily yourself (the most important mod is the fabric screens and its very easy to do).

Jan 1, 2009 at 8:27 AM Post #6 of 26
Thanks for the recommendations; I have to ask: What about the AKG K702s? Are they a significant improvement over the 701s?

Also, I was looking at the Grado 225/325, which some people say are also extremely detailed. Would they meet the criteria?

Jan 1, 2009 at 8:28 AM Post #7 of 26
Find yourself some second-hand Stax. There's plenty going inside your price range on eBay. Will easily demolish regular headphones. Besides that, I gather that the Beyer DT48s are the most absolutely analytical headphones available.

Jan 1, 2009 at 8:55 AM Post #9 of 26
I second, third, whatever the K701 AND the Stax recommendation.

If you weren't using them as review components, I'd suggest looking at the Baby Stax I have for sale, as they are extremely resolving. As it is, though, why not start your review right here? It's all but impossible to get paid as a reviewer today unless you've made your name doing it for free, so I really think you should strike out on your own here. Listen to a lot of them, and find what suits you.

Most detailed I've heard are the Sony Qualia. The SA5000 aren't nearly as good, but they're no detail slouch either. These are just suggestions as to where to start, though. I expect you to pick them up and post some reviews.

Jan 1, 2009 at 12:37 PM Post #10 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sherwood /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I second, third, whatever the K701 AND the Stax recommendation.

If you weren't using them as review components, I'd suggest looking at the Baby Stax I have for sale, as they are extremely resolving. As it is, though, why not start your review right here? It's all but impossible to get paid as a reviewer today unless you've made your name doing it for free, so I really think you should strike out on your own here. Listen to a lot of them, and find what suits you.

Most detailed I've heard are the Sony Qualia. The SA5000 aren't nearly as good, but they're no detail slouch either. These are just suggestions as to where to start, though. I expect you to pick them up and post some reviews.

Thank you for your very constructive suggestions!
I'm not looking to get paid at all as a reviewer - I want to review stuff for the benefit of this community.
smily_headphones1.gif
More importantly, having a really good headphone gives me a reference point with which to start.
The reason I'm a bit doubtful about Electrostats is the fact that they need special amps and connections - I want to be able to review headphone amplifiers as well, and also use things like balanced outputs.

How much are the Sony Qualias?
Are the available for sale?

I still haven't gotten my questions about the K702s answered - are they as good/better than 701s?

Jan 1, 2009 at 12:54 PM Post #11 of 26
I came in here thinking "if anybody recommends the K701/K702, I'm going to smack them." Looks like I'll have a lot of peeps to smack 'round.
very_evil_smiley.gif

The K701/K702 violates the "ii) Have a realistic soundstage (i.e. not "add" anything to the dimensions of the original recording)." part, but if the OP can compensate for that (since the K701/K702 are great for all those other things), then I think he's golden.

It's just that the K701/K702 throws out such a huge soundstage, it's like people are playing on a stage that is half-a-mile wide, and that really detracts from the weight of any instrument.

Jan 1, 2009 at 2:15 PM Post #12 of 26
I recommend a Stax. Either a vintage Lambda (SR-Lambda, SR-Lambda Pro, SR-Lambda Signature) or a newer SR-303 or SR-404.
Can't go much wrong with any of them.
o2smile.gif

Jan 1, 2009 at 7:37 PM Post #14 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by cyanbomb /img/forum/go_quote.gif
1) The reason I'm a bit doubtful about Electrostats is the fact that they need special amps and connections - I want to be able to review headphone amplifiers as well, and also use things like balanced outputs.

2) How much are the Sony Qualias?
3) Are the available for sale?

4) I still haven't gotten my questions about the K702s answered - are they as good/better than 701s?

Alright, here we go:

1) That is true, they do use special amps, and they limit the amps you can use with them. They are, however, naturally balanced, and many Stax amps have balanced connectors. Nonetheless, it limits you to about 5% of the Headphone market. That happens to be the BEST 5%, IMHO, but maybe not the best place to start
smily_headphones1.gif

2) The Sony Qualias sell for about $3.5K, if you find them for sale
3) No, they are out of production now. Sorry for teasing you.

4) The K702 are nearly identical to the K701. The only difference is the color and the detachable cable. Anyone who is serious about getting the best out of their K701 takes the cable off and recables them to dual-entry anyways, so I can't really recommend the K702, especially since it's more expensive.

--TMM made a good point, in that the K701 has a comically inflated soundstage. They don't do accurate placement, they do "huge concert hall" placement. I happen to love that presentation, which is why I loved those headphones, but it's not exactly "accurate".

Users who are viewing this thread

Back