Your Kind Recommendations: High Resolution Headphones
Jan 1, 2009 at 10:12 PM Post #17 of 26
Negatory on the K701s. I found them boring.

AD900's would fit the bill nicely. Very nice real soundstage, highly musical, not super super detailed but not too bad.

If you could stretch the budget to the AD2000's they'd be perfect in every way, since I hear they're more detailed.

Jan 2, 2009 at 1:40 PM Post #18 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by lucky /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Second the K701 recommendation, but get them new; they're $242 at Amazon.

Another vote for K701s. They have all of the properties that the OP is asking for. The only areas in which they are lacking are comfort, isolation, and bass.

Mar 30, 2009 at 1:48 AM Post #19 of 26
cd3k, that's pretty high resolution to me
biggrin.gif
...bass shy, though.

the SS is just crazy, fits classical music so neatly....it's prolly too wide for the rest, but well it's HD audio for sure
redface.gif

Mar 30, 2009 at 9:45 AM Post #21 of 26
K701, K702 is a cheap choice. Decent soundstage which does change weither you listen to studio recordings and live recordings and movies quite well. Other headphones with good soundstaging like the DX 1000 doesn´t change as much.

The more expensive and for me much more musical choice is a Ultrasone PRO 900 for example. Just as detailed if not more since it´s a bit faster. More bass if you want that. If you want even more detail you can KeeS mod it to bring out the midrange more and also very transparent. Chameleon really
smily_headphones1.gif

As for soundstaging I would say the PRO 900 is more accurate here overall. Or fools me as being more accurate I would say works great with binaural recordings anyway.

Mar 30, 2009 at 10:03 AM Post #22 of 26
whatever costs the most is probably the best according to many people here, but I vote K701/K702. Maybe I don't have the most headphone experience, but I've been playing/recording and analytically listening for 15 years with a variety of genres of music and equipment. Really it depends on YOUR ears though. You could always sell them for a $30 loss if you don't like them. A lot of it depends on amping also.

Mar 30, 2009 at 10:16 AM Post #23 of 26
But that is maybe the key here... OP wanted something detailed with high resolution that yet is musical. I think it´s mainly on the musical part it falls short. The PRO 900 can bring real emotions out of music whereas the K701 is more laid back so what I don´t care when you listen to it. But that is a nice feeling as well not having to be so involved in the music
smily_headphones1.gif

But well as you say different price segments but in this case you get what you pay for in both cases.

Mar 30, 2009 at 11:55 AM Post #24 of 26
No piece of music playback technology can be described as "more musical" or "more emotionally involving" than another. All that headphones can do is reproduce what is on the recording, some more successfully than others. Emotion results from the actual performance (and to some extent the recording/mastering), not the playback device.

Mar 30, 2009 at 12:04 PM Post #25 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by intoart /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No piece of music playback technology can be described as "more musical" or "more emotionally involving" than another. All that headphones can do is reproduce what is on the recording, some more successfully than others. Emotion results from the actual performance (and to some extent the recording/mastering), not the playback device.

right, when I saw your post I thought you were going to advise the DT770/Pro
biggrin.gif

well some cans output more emotions than others, that's a fact....listen to the cd3k one day if you get the chance, or maybe his bigger brother the r10.

many ppl call the K701 and alikes "clinical", figures
redface.gif

Mar 30, 2009 at 1:28 PM Post #26 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by intoart /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I wouldn't say that. It comes from both the mind, the equipment, and the recording. It all depends on what triggers the nostalgia or other factors involving human emotion. A ton of detail for me or lack of does not make me necessarily emotional and it also does not have to be exactly true to the exact equipment it was recorded with. Some people just like different harmonics.

I really wish that all headphones could do is reproduce what exactly was on the recording. Depending on the equipment they can add stuff that isn't there. To me that is not necessarily a fault sometimes, such as the case with certain tube gear.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back