Your HiFi solution for the PC
Nov 20, 2020 at 12:24 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

HicPuer

New Head-Fier
Share your PC music system solutions. :)

I am using my PC (2700x) for everything: music, movies, PC gaming, news (youtube, etc).
  • Main sources: mp3 (~128 - 320 Kbps), Spotify (320 Kbps), torrent movies, pc gaming and sometimes turntable, FLAC, CD, and having a trial on Tidal, Roon and plan test out Amazon music.
  • Currently testing the following system: PC W10 > ASIO4ALL + VB-CABLE Virtual Audio Device > int. sound card ALC1220 up to 24-bit/192khz > S/PDIF > Denon PMA-800NE integrated amp 2.0 > Dali Oberon 5.
  • I have also Sony MDR-1000x with noise cancellation, which I use when my kids are too loud :deadhorse:
Once I discovered ASIO / WASAPI, everything sounded a lot better. It was a wow effect I did not experienced once I upgraded from Yamaha HS8 to Dali Oberon 5 (and I like these Dali loudspeakers a lot). I guess my int. sound card is the next weak link. :k701smile:

Can somebody explain why avoiding the Win10 audio mixer with e.g. ASIO sounds a lot better? I am using also https://fidelizer-audio.com/

Attachments

• heli_20m2.jpg
    heli_20m2.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Nov 25, 2020 at 5:03 AM Post #2 of 20
This is a useful source of info

https://thewelltemperedcomputer.com/Intro/SQ/Driver.htm

The Win10 mixer isn't particularly good, introduces timing errors etc as far as I understand it.

By the way, Tidal can be set to exclusive use, which works (I've tested it), and sounds identical (to my ears) to J River in WASAPI mode playing the same album tracks and resolution (both 16/44 ans 24/96 tracks). Amazon HD does NOT work! It has an exclusive use toggle, but it doesn't work, at least on my PC anyway!

Nov 26, 2020 at 4:28 PM Post #3 of 20
At the lower side of $$$$...

Netbook Asus/ HiFimeDIY UAE23 USB DAC (Sabre) / Edifier R1100 - standard version of the R1280 - (the speakers are beside the video monitor and close to the wall, they are front-ported, and the bass dial is turned to minimum)
Win 10/ Winyl MP (Wasapi mode)/ streaming www.radioparadise.com all the time (FLAC)
Before the R1100 I had an Audioengine A2, a lot more $$$$ !!!
Well, in the same settup, the Edifier has more bass extension, and a much better sound stage...
For +- US$100 (DAC + speakers), I´ve heard less pleasant things...

Nov 26, 2020 at 8:13 PM Post #4 of 20
iTunes set to allow output to 24/192 in Windows Audio Session mode on Toshiba laptop running Windows 10>OPP-205 usb DAC up sampling AAC, ALAC, and AIFF files to 24/192>Sony TA-E9000ES or TA-P9000ES preamp.

Nov 28, 2020 at 9:25 PM Post #5 of 20
iTunes and BitPerfect on a Mac Book Pro > Teac UD-501 > Vincent SA-31 Preamp > Vincent SP-331 Power Amp > Thiel CS3.5.

If I feel like listening to headphones - I reroute from the UD-501 to a Woo WA6 driving a pair of Beyerdynamic T90s or Denon AH-D5000s.

Last edited:
Dec 6, 2020 at 12:37 PM Post #6 of 20
hw: linear psu powering gigabyte MB with i37100t and ifi ipower powering matrix hcard -> topping d90mqa -> LTA MZ2 -> Altec 601c
sf: windows 2016 server desktop experience, vb-cable, jplay femto, foobar w/asio , tidal exclusive mode.

Dec 8, 2020 at 5:09 AM Post #7 of 20
I’m using an older MBP 2012 (i7,16GB RAM 768GB SSD) running Jriver software w external HD, Amazon HD streaming, USB interface to Yggdrasil DAC, Freya+, Pass labs XA25, Daedalus Athena.. Thinking of replacing with Mac mini M1 ..

Dec 8, 2020 at 1:46 PM Post #8 of 20
I have 2 systems, Asus laptop with J River / Tidal / Spotify premium into a Cambridge audio Dacmagic XS. Desktop system using MusicBee / Tidal / Spotify into a Marantz HD DAC1.

Dec 12, 2020 at 6:10 AM Post #9 of 20
I'm currently using an Intel NUC in a passively cooled Akasa frame, fed by linear PSU, SSD on a separate PSU, Cat8.1 ethernet cable through a modded Switch for Tidal etc al, running a beta real time version of Daphile (linux geared for audio) feeding a singxer SU1 (modded) into a Metrum Amethyst. I'm in the process of auditioning OS. Euphony, Audiolinux, W10, Daphile

I just started the build of my next gen audio computer, AMD Ryzen 5 1600 (6 core), 64Gb DDR4, the whole thing will sit in a passively cooled case, powered by a couple of linear PSU's, using a Pink Faun OCXO I2S output on a linear PSU. As things stand Daphile is my favorite OS for sound thus far.

Dec 12, 2020 at 10:28 PM Post #10 of 20
I'm currently using an Intel NUC in a passively cooled Akasa frame, fed by linear PSU, SSD on a separate PSU, Cat8.1 ethernet cable through a modded Switch for Tidal etc al, running a beta real time version of Daphile (linux geared for audio) feeding a singxer SU1 (modded) into a Metrum Amethyst. I'm in the process of auditioning OS. Euphony, Audiolinux, W10, Daphile

I just started the build of my next gen audio computer, AMD Ryzen 5 1600 (6 core), 64Gb DDR4, the whole thing will sit in a passively cooled case, powered by a couple of linear PSU's, using a Pink Faun OCXO I2S output on a linear PSU. As things stand Daphile is my favorite OS for sound thus far.

I've been very curious about the pink faun. Currently using Matrix H USB card but my new DACs have I2S inputs. Does Amethyst have I2S input? I sold mine a year ago and don't recall it has it.

Dec 13, 2020 at 3:26 AM Post #11 of 20
I've been very curious about the pink faun. Currently using Matrix H USB card but my new DACs have I2S inputs. Does Amethyst have I2S input? I sold mine a year ago and don't recall it has it.
No it does not have I2S, but it works very nicely! (the connector for the USB board sitting inside is the same as for the I2S board and with some inside info it's easy enough. Well worth the effort!

Dec 13, 2020 at 6:50 AM Post #12 of 20
Cheap, easy & surprisingly nice sound (in the lower Hi-Fi zone). Gigabyte Aorus Z390 Pro Wi-Fi with ESS Sabre DAC plus E1DA 9038s.

Dec 13, 2020 at 7:40 AM Post #13 of 20

But how do you get Tidal Hifi on Linux?

The Akasa case for the NUC looks interesting. What kind of core temps are you seeing? Which processor?

Dec 13, 2020 at 5:23 PM Post #14 of 20
But how do you get Tidal Hifi on Linux?

The Akasa case for the NUC looks interesting. What kind of core temps are you seeing? Which processor?
via a Tidal plugin, using a mysqueezebox account, is playing right now on the new rig.

Core temps are very unexciting, 30-ish (Celsius) , this NUC is a 4 core pentium.

Dec 13, 2020 at 7:22 PM Post #15 of 20
Nice! I have a Lenovo Tiny and it is a really nice box but the fan is annoying. I want to get a small fanless media rig.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back