Your headphones and their roles
Jun 26, 2010 at 9:01 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

WyldRage

100+ Head-Fier
I've recently been waging a battle against upgraditis, and I have fortunately been losing it. With my most recent purchase, a pair of Shure SRH840, I have begun to think about how many headphones I am using at the moment and how they fit into diverse roles I have given them. I became curious to find out if I'm the only one, or if you all have several headphones to fit your needs. Well, to get the discussion started, here are mine:

1. The Gymy:  The cheapest and toughest IEM I can buy, with a little thought to sound quality. At the moment, it's the Creative EP-630, for the distinction of being the only IEM I have never managed to break (apart for the much costlier IE-8). I had been using the Creative Zen Aurvana, which broke twice, and the Sleek Audio SA-1, until it broke three months back. I recently ordered the MEElectronics M9 during the sale, and it will replace the Creative... at least until it breaks. :wink:

1. The Portable: For use during transit in bus, subway and airplanes, as well as in bed. It used to be IEM, most recently the Sennheiser IE-8, until I got sick of them. Now I'm using closed, easily driven, isolating supra-aural headphones, currently the Audio-Technica ATH-ESW9. It has good sound quality, but isolation could be better. I have pre-ordered the Beyer T50p a long time ago, and I am looking forward to compare them.

1. The Traveller: The most recent role, it fills a need due to my work (exploration geologist), which means I am away from home for long periods, over a month at a time. The Portable used to fill that spot, but since I switched to supra-aurals instead of IEM, I needed more comfort. It's a closed, circumaural, foldable, comfortable, easily driven and "jack-of-all-trade" headphone, since I need it for music, movies and games. My newest acquisition, the Shure SRH840, fills the role, but I am having some doubts. The Ultrasone HFI-680 could also have been nice, but I could get the Shure locally at work (a 5 minute walk).

1. The Grado: Because you NEED a Grado. :wink: At the moment an Alessandro MS-1i. I'm sorry, I know it's cheating, since it's not a REAL Grado, but it's what I could afford at the time. Will be replaced by the Grado HF-2 when it comes.

1. The Big One: The one to use with my home rig: my high-end turntable, my self-assembled DAC (AMB Gamma2) and headphone amp (Millett Mini-Max at the moment, but it will have competition from the Bottlehead Speedball Crack and the HagTech Castanet when I get home (and build them)). Open, and the best sound quality I can afford. It's the *drumroll*
    Alessandro MS-1i
    ... I know, it's disappointing, but this will change, the moment I will dare order the Audez'e LCD-2.

Here it is, my sad tale of upgraditis and head-fi addiction... Who am I kidding, I'm loving it! So, am I the only one using 5 different headphones for different roles? Am I weird? Or are you weirder?

Jun 26, 2010 at 9:25 AM Post #3 of 20
The mixers

K 240 DF and DT 48. They're both neutral, but with different perspectives. I lean towards the K 240 DF because they're much more comfortable to wear for longer periods. That may change once I receive my pair of DT 48 E earpads.

The listener

For critical listening, I prefer the DT 48. As I've previously said, it's an extremely detailed and dissected but consistent presentation of the source. Whatever I put in it, it'll cut it into tiny pieces, but it'll never lose anything.

The portable

On the go, I wear the DT 48 because of its stellar isolation. Of course, it can't block everything, and whatever goes through has an impact on sound quality, but it's still miles ahead of my next best pick, the HD 428. Besides that, odd looks from people around me are never a bad thing.

===

Yup, the DT 48 is pretty much everywhere. It's hard to beat its detailed and consistent sound.

Jun 26, 2010 at 9:33 AM Post #4 of 20
The plug-it-in-anywhere-and-be-happy headphone, my ESW9s, they get the most headtime because they're so light and portable and sound so good out of anything that they're running out of.

The current home set, my Alessandro MS-Pros which are brilliant, but their duties will probably be shared with their polar opposite Sennheiser HD650s when they arrive.

The sacrificial Koss KSC75s don't get any use right now except when they're the only things in reach or I don't want my hair messed up (not really)

Jun 26, 2010 at 10:19 AM Post #5 of 20
On the go/at work: DBI Pro 700.  They can go right into the bag without worrying that they will be damaged, and sound pretty good from a variety of sources.

Music/kicking back and listening: DT150 or Beyerdynamic DT990/600.

Critical Listening: Charteroak SP-1 (vocals) or T50RP (balance) or DT480 (clarity).  (depends what I'm listening for)

Movies/games: whatever's plugged in... but usually the 990/600 these days, unless I need isolation

Jun 26, 2010 at 11:48 AM Post #6 of 20
Which can I use generally depends on my mood and my music selection at the time.

Transportable/Work: Pro 650, Pro 750

Isolation/Studying: HD280

Gaming/Movies: DT990, DT770/80, D2000

Music Enjoyment (Main Setup): D2000, AD2000, Pro 650

Laid back Mood (Jazz, Classical, etc): W1000

Grado (Rock music): Grado SR60i

Portable: CK10, CX300

Bedside: CX300, HD280

Jun 26, 2010 at 1:26 PM Post #7 of 20
Rock when home alone - Grado SR80

Everything else at home alone - AKG K702

At home with others about - AKG K44 (next to be upgraded)

Easily portable - Sennheiser PX200

Holidays and wanting peace - Goldring NS1000

Start of my vintage collection -- AKG K140 (1970s)

Jun 26, 2010 at 2:11 PM Post #8 of 20
Out at a library or school- Sennheiser IE8
At home alone- Grado SR80i (Soon to be replaced with Sennheiser HD650's)
At home with people- Audio-Technica ATH-W1000X

I need to find a good "out and about" headphones with really good isolation though. I found the IE8's to leak too much sound in when I need to go ride on an airplane.

Jun 26, 2010 at 2:12 PM Post #9 of 20
Portable: SFI'd vintage koss phones.

Gymies: SFI'd vintage koss phones.

At Home: SFI'd vintage koss phones.

Dust collectors: Concept CE-H, Realistic Pro 30, and Sony MDR-V6.

Is that cheating?
beyersmile.png

Jun 26, 2010 at 2:34 PM Post #10 of 20

Quote:
I need to find a good "out and about" headphones with really good isolation though. I found the IE8's to leak too much sound in when I need to go ride on an airplane.

In my experience, IEM with balance armature, like the SA-6, isolate better than dynamic IEM, like the IE8. I know there is one made specifically for isolation, the Etymotic ER6i, but I have never heard them.

Jun 26, 2010 at 2:51 PM Post #12 of 20
Gym: JVC Marshmallows

Traveler/Bookstore/Coffee shop/Library/Work: SRH840

At home listening: Soon-to-be either HD650 or AHD2000

Jun 26, 2010 at 4:14 PM Post #13 of 20
Portable: Sennheiser CX-500 earbuds

Home: Denon D5000 / Sennheiser HD-600

Jun 26, 2010 at 4:41 PM Post #14 of 20
K 702: Large choral pieces, very large orchestral works, gaming.

RS1i: Everything else.

DT250: Home portable.

K 271: Work - mostly talk and classical.

Jun 26, 2010 at 4:51 PM Post #15 of 20
ATH-W1000X - at home with just about everything that is well recorded and when I need a closed headphone

AKG 701 - at home for solo piano and some choral, and Chamber Music works 

HD650 - all rounder 

IE8 - outdoors, at night, and travel

P5 - outdoors, at night, and travel

Users who are viewing this thread

Back