Your Favourite Pink Floyd Album?
Jul 14, 2008 at 1:44 AM Post #18 of 95
I'm a huge PF fan. PF is my favorite band of all time, at some point it was the only thing I listened to for a few years. I've listened to all of their albums, yes even to Zabriskie Point and to 3 Syd's discs, and Waters' solo albums and even Gilmour and the 3rd dude's (forgot his name ATM) album. My first PF album was The division bell, then WYWH, and then all the others in no particular order. At first I liked Division Bell the most, now I like it the least - heh. Here's my order of preference:

#1 Piper at the gates of dawn - at this point Syd was balancing between lsd-inspired madness and pure indiluted genius. Fluid, golden fairy-tale melodies of Flaming and Matilda Mother mesh with tasteful dissonance of Interstellar Overdrive. Neptune, Titan, stars can frighten. No other song is as bare as Bike: You're the kind of girl that fits in with my world - I'll give you anything everything if you want things. The best two things about this album is that it's not about rock or psychadelia or musical mastery - it's not really about anything at all: it's as if it were a sonic equivalent of a thing in itself; the second good thing is that it's never weak in either lyrics, singing or the music - except of course for the one song done by Waters.

#2 Hard to say but let's give #2 to "More", if only for Cymbaline and Green is the colour. There are a few weak numbers here but most of it is solid.

#3 Again, not too sure about this but maybe "Obscured by Clouds"? Pure rock music, no pretense, no fuss.

#4 Ummagumma - live side is pure delight, studio side is somewhat crappy but is saved by one of the best Pink Floyd songs, ever - maybe even the best - "Granchester Meadows". There's another good song on Studio side but I don't remember which one.

#5 Animals - a tremendous album, I really could put it at #3 or #4, it's a toss-up. Dogs is poignant and epochal without being pompous - in fact, there's no pomposity in the whole album, something Waters could barely avoid in and around that time.

#6 Atom Heart Mother. Love the title track, and Fat Old Sun. Can't say I listened to it much.. let's say I respect this album from afar :wink:

#7 Meddle. A very good, even excellent album, it's odd that it has to go so low in the list, but in its defence I can say that it's very close in quality to all the albums listed above barring Piper, so on a different day, #2 through #8 can change places very easily. Hell, they're all amazing.

#8 Wish You Were Here. Really a tremendously good album, especially the title track and Shine On, I find Welcome to the Machine a bit heavy to listen too - even though it's supposed to be - and when someone is welcomed to the machine, it's surely not all sunshine and lolly-pops. Let's put it this way - insofar as music is supposed to entertain, this track fails but as music is also supposed to enlighten, this might just be their best song.

#9 The Wall. It's not a bad album, really, but I feel Roger overplays it a bit. Second disc is immensely better than first, in my opinion, it would go up a few places if it were just the 2nd disc.

#10 Dark Side. Come on Floydsters - you're not Fleetwood Mac! You know music isn't supposed to be overly polished and smooth. "Time" is great, though. What were they trying to do, make money or become famous or something? :wink:. I'm probably too hard on this album because it's been overplayed but what the hell, I'm sure Roger will not lose any sleep over some "Rainy" crapping all over their top of pops on the intratubes. If I knew for a fact that Waters will read this and cry, I would put DSoTM at #9 or #8, but, honestly, neither WYWH or The Wall are weaker than DSoTM by a long shot, so, Mr. Waters, just deal with it. I'm only Rainy, my opinion doesn't mean anything.

#11 The Final Cut - Meh.

#12 The Division Bell - 2x Meh. Actually Wearing the inside out is kind of nice, even very nice!

#13 All their crap they did without Waters. Come on dudes, stop selling the dead horse, you'll never be either as rich or as talentless as Paul McCartney, so why not just call it a day?

Bonus ratings:

I don't know where to put 3 discs done by Syd. I was never interested in music done with just guitar and singing, but if the whole band was working on these, I could see 2 more Piper-level albums, the melodies are sort of there, the poetry is mostly as good or better. I should listen to these more, they'll grow on me, I'm sure. I'm listening too much classical now and have such a tremendous stack of discs to go through..

Radio KAOS by Waters. This was, in fact, the first album done by either PF or PF members I ever heard, and I liked it quite a bit at that time. I only had things like Queen and the like to compare to. Now I can see that as far as poesy and quality of singing is concerned, this album is a little poopy.

Pros and Cons of hitchhiking. Pure Poop from Mr. Waters. Anybody want to buy this gem from me without case and booklet?

Amused to Death. Whiney as hell but music is very good, and sound quality is probably the best of all PF & RW albums. I wish I could not understand english - I would like this album just right.

Two Gilmour albums and the album by 3rd Floydster - crap. Spare yourself the expense, because I did not. Don't read those reviews on Amazon that say Rick Wright was responsible for some good songs like Fat Old Sun and Wearing Inside Out, & others in old catalogue, maybe he was but that's all ancient history now. Gilmour's just boring. He's not even bad enough not to be boring.

Wall The Movie: quite good, in fact. I never watched it with a good sound system on a DVD, but I will certainly try to do that sometime. There's some amusing commentary by Waters and the Animation director, I think, on that disc.

DSoTM and the Wizard of OZ: Indeed they would seem to be linked, but things break when "Money" is playing. At that point I stopped the album but before that it does win something by being paired with one of the best movies out there.

Jul 14, 2008 at 1:48 AM Post #19 of 95
Dark Side of the Moon has to be my favorite. I've listened to it more than just about anything else. Not so much these days, but it still comes out for a listen every few months.

I love Wish You Were Here and Piper at the Gates of Dawn, too.

Jul 14, 2008 at 6:39 AM Post #22 of 95
I bought the Oh By The Way boxset today, as I'd previously only had two or three Pink Floyd CDs. I only got this boxset because I managed to get it less than half price.

I must say, the presentation on this set is amazing.

Jul 14, 2008 at 9:05 AM Post #24 of 95
For me PF was always a different band from the rest, my favorite albums are those that stand out concept-wise as a whole.

Because of this, Wish You Were Here is not my favorite album, despite "Shine on" part 1 being my favorite PF song. The rest of the album just fades after this first song.

Musically I have to say Dark Side of the Moon is my favorite. I just bought the SACD version which is superb. It is one of a few albums I can only listen to all the way through, not single songs.

The Wall is second in all of its an@l Waters-esque self-loathing dread. So many great, memorable songs and lyrics (Comfortably Numb, In the Flesh, Another Brick in the Wall).

Jul 14, 2008 at 1:57 PM Post #25 of 95
My favorite Pink Floyd album is Dark Side, but Wish You Were Here is very close.......

That being said.......Piper At The Gates Of Dawn gets the most airplay these days from me. I like it for being so different. No other Pink Floyd album sounds like Piper.....To me Piper is a mix of The Velvet Underground and The early Mothers of Invention, that and a British spin.

Jul 14, 2008 at 1:59 PM Post #26 of 95
It kind of depends which kind of beer I'm drinking at the time and also how many I've had.....BTW which one's Pink?

Jul 14, 2008 at 5:31 PM Post #27 of 95
Well, favourite is probably Dark Side Of the Moon, but that's only because that's the one ive heard most. I also like The Wall, but i really haven't spent enough time with them to make an informed decision. You can almost say that my favourite is the only one i have listen to.

Jul 14, 2008 at 8:39 PM Post #29 of 95
Quote:

Originally Posted by inthecup /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It kind of depends which kind of beer I'm drinking at the time and also how many I've had.....BTW which one's Pink?

Lol, I just listened to The Wall in its entirety last night while... umm... intoxicated. And not by beer, if you catch my drift.
wink.gif
Really, truly enthralling, especially through SR325is.

Jul 14, 2008 at 8:56 PM Post #30 of 95
Quote:

Originally Posted by moogoob /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Lol, I just listened to The Wall in its entirety last night while... umm... intoxicated. And not by beer, if you catch my drift.
wink.gif
Really, truly enthralling, especially through SR325is.

Been there....Done that (SR225)....Lucky U.....WOW!!!!! Pinky Lives!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back