Your favorite sub $10,000 Speakers,...
Jul 3, 2011 at 9:29 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 56

Noumenon

Head-Fier
I thought a realistic thread about speakers might complement the other 'money no object' speaker threads. Honestly does one expect to hear Tony Banks scratch his balls with those six figure things.

Anyway, it would be helpful to get impressions of $3,000 - $10,000 speakers from those who have auditioned enough to have a basis for comparison.

In particular, the Paradigm Signature S8, Paradigm Studio 100, or B&W Cm9?

Jul 3, 2011 at 11:47 AM Post #2 of 56
Second hand Martin Logan Summit X:s with tube amps
biggrin.gif

Tonally accurate? Hardly.

Goose bump inducing? Oh yes...

Jul 4, 2011 at 2:34 AM Post #5 of 56
If you want to do a little assembly work, consider the Linkwitz Orion3. You can order the drivers, prebuilt crossover, prebuilt cables, and prebuilt cabinets for just about $5,000. No cabinet building or soldering necessary, you just have to assemble it, Ikea-style. You'll need to spend another $1,000-$2,000 for amplification - they need eight channels around 60W each. Arguably, it's the best speaker at any price. I have the drivers, all the parts, and two suitable Adcom amps. I'm just waiting to get my shop together to build the cabinets. We thought we'd have the shop ready last November. :p Maybe this November. :)

Also put Quad in the running. The ESL-57 is a classic and sometimes gets voted as the best speaker ever. I've never heard better mids, period. However, I think the ESL-63 has better overall balance, so I bought a pair. Highly recommended. If I had known how good they were a few years back, I would have just bought a pair and stopped chasing the audio dragon. The ESL-988 and ESL-989 come in under $10k, too, and are similar to the ESL-63. A pair of Quad ESLs has been the end of the road for many audiophiles.

I'd also put in the running the big pairs of Magnepans with ribbons: the 2.5, 2.6, 3.6, 3.7, and 20. You can get all of them used for under $10k. If you have the room and sufficient amps, the 20 is stunning. Though I'd look for a used 2.5 around $1,000-$2,000. You get a real ribbon and a nice bass panel. Ribbons are really special - I never would have gotten into high-end audio if it weren't for the Verhagen ribbons I built. They knocked me flat.

A dark horse might be an AMT speaker. I found ESS AMT-1 speakers a few years back and am still deeply impressed by the AMT. However, the woofers are what you'd expect from a 1972 design. I replaced them with modern woofers (about $160 for the pair) and they're surprisingly good. Not as coherent as the Quads, but awfully, awfully good. There is a modern AMT being produced called the Kithara that runs around $6k. I haven't heard it, but if it integrates an AMT with a dynamic woofer well, it'd be formidable.

For speakers I haven't heard, a lot of credible people love the Vandersteen 5. Worth considering. So are Lowthers - they have a rabid cult following. And while I only heard Klipschhorns a good 20 years ago, before I got deeply into audio, they still hold a certain fascination for me. Take a look.

Jul 4, 2011 at 7:15 PM Post #7 of 56
Depending on your taste, room, and electronics you have an almost endless list of great speakers in the sub (used) $10K market.
Thiel CS3.7
Thiel CS7.2
vandersteen 5A
Maggie 20.1
Harbeth M40.1
Wilson WP7
Wilson Sophia 2 
Offerings from Quad, Avalon, Totem and on and on and on. All different and to many the end of the road.

Jul 5, 2011 at 3:56 AM Post #9 of 56
Home theater is mostly a sales gimmick. I ran 5.1 for awhile. You're better off with two-channels and audiophile speakers.

I'll take a Magnepan MMG over HTIB any day.

Jul 5, 2011 at 6:38 AM Post #11 of 56
I have a pair of Focal Electra 1007Be. Love 'em.

Jul 5, 2011 at 9:11 AM Post #12 of 56
Sounds like he is looking more for home theater.

No, not for HT, just music. The reason for the post is to list some good manufacturors.

The planer and and electrostatics are very interesting, but I listen to classical and prog-rock, so are they good for detail?

Jul 6, 2011 at 4:00 AM Post #13 of 56
Sounds like he is looking more for home theater.

No, not for HT, just music. The reason for the post is to list some good manufacturors.

The planer and and electrostatics are very interesting, but I listen to classical and prog-rock, so are they good for detail?
Oh yes.

Planars, electrostats, ribbons, and AMTs deliver remarkable detail. They rival any headphone while giving you a 3D soundstage that no headphone can give you.

Jul 6, 2011 at 2:50 PM Post #14 of 56
I still think the Jamo R907s are worth auditioning. Maybe even the R909, I just checked the price and it is way lower than it used to be (around 7K new). Makes me really said about having paid what I have here in my country...

They are truly exceptional speakers, capable of portraying a remarkably large soundstage because they are dipolars. And, since they're dynamic speakers, bass is tight, visceral and present. Obviously they don't do detail as well as their electrostatic siblings, but they do offer a fantastic tone and, for the price they're being offered now, it's an incredible deal.

Jul 8, 2011 at 3:16 PM Post #15 of 56
Vapor Audio Cirrus monitors. Just absolutely incredible for $3500. Giant killers. Jeff Joseph's Pulsar is twice as much at $7K/pr, but definitely worth a listen. I've got a thing for stand-mount two-ways. All but the very best tower speakers really struggle to disappear into the music, a trick that a $1,000 two-way monitor can pull off with ease.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back