Your favorite sub $10,000 Speakers,...
Aug 2, 2011 at 12:20 PM Post #46 of 56

I've the Akurate 212's setup with a Majik DS-i myself. I would probably pick the Akurates as my favorites in this category as well, and I've compared a lot. At least from what's available in the Finnish market, there isn't an equivalent... If I had the extra money, I wouldn't hesitate going active with my setup.

I originally had activ espeks hence the three amplifiers. The difference between activ and passive was pretty amazing but still didn't match the passive 242s I haven't heard activ. 242s but I would think they would sound pretty incredible. One of these years if i come across a pair of 5 channel amps it might be a reasonable way to go. But 5 individual amps is a bit much for my taste

The 212s also blew me away for their size and price

Nov 17, 2011 at 11:59 PM Post #47 of 56
I loved my Legacy Focus. Sadly I had to sell them when I moved due to space constraints, but I am happy with my Legacy Signatures.

Nov 18, 2011 at 7:04 PM Post #49 of 56
NHT T5 or T6 systems.  Startling accuracy.  Spent FOREVER on Stereophile Class A Recommended list and deserved it.  The other Class A speakers were mostly $30k+.  I have a 7.2 T5 system but forced to sell 4 now due to smaller space
frown.gif

Nov 22, 2011 at 7:39 AM Post #51 of 56
You could try full range designs. My favorite speaker ever is the Hammer Dynamics Super 12, a Full Range augmented with a nice Audex tweeter. You build the cabinets yourself; I brought mine in for about $1000, speaker kit, router, clamps and damping included. The transducer/crossover kit is $650, shipped, from New Mexico.

I feel these sound better than Lowthers and Tannoys and certainly are better than Zu Druids. Pairing them with a FirstWatt F2 or F1 gives them terrific bass and allows you to junk the crossovers. Just a cap for the tweeter is needed. And the detail of the combo is stunning. Amp & speakers, perhaps $3000 all told (plus preamp).

This design was intended to be like a Quad ESL with much more dynamics, full frequency response and the ability to be driven with as little as a 0.7 watt tube amp. The design wildly succeeded. Their crossover-less nature yields a natural, completely integrated sound that is not available even from normal two ways or concentrics. The only speakers I have ever heard image better are a friend's Omega 6.5" single drivers. Bear in mind, you do have to sit in the sweet spot with these designs.

Nov 22, 2011 at 4:53 PM Post #52 of 56
Has anyone heard the previous generation Emerald Physics CS2?  They're going for pretty cheap used, and I've been thinking of trying them out.  I think they'd need the Behringer Ultra Drive Pro DCX2496, though, and four channels of amplification.

Nov 26, 2011 at 12:12 PM Post #54 of 56
Quote:
A dark horse might be an AMT speaker. I found ESS AMT-1 speakers a few years back and am still deeply impressed by the AMT. However, the woofers are what you'd expect from a 1972 design. I replaced them with modern woofers (about $160 for the pair) and they're surprisingly good. Not as coherent as the Quads, but awfully, awfully good. There is a modern AMT being produced called the Kithara that runs around $6k. I haven't heard it, but if it integrates an AMT with a dynamic woofer well, it'd be formidable.

There is a modern AMT being produced by the new ESS as well: http://www.essspeakersusa.com/Products.html

I'm not impressed with the pricing (three times more than I was originally told) and haven't come across any reviews of any sort, but I've still been considering these. Had AMT-1s (handed down by my father) from age 14 through age 19 (killed the tweeters in an unspeakably stupid college dormitory inter-room speaker volume brawl). Love the clear, quick midrange and treble.

Nov 26, 2011 at 12:22 PM Post #55 of 56

Quote:
In case of larger room and larger bank account :

Audionec Answers

Vivid Audio G1

wink.gif

I love those Vivids. Heard them earlier this year with Luxman gear -- they were absolutely astonishing.

o

Nov 28, 2011 at 2:14 PM Post #56 of 56
Got Salk HT1-TLs second-hand that just barely meet the price criteria new (plus 800 or so in veneer upgrades).  The speaker gods will probably kill me if they realize I dont run enough good recordings through them and primarily listen to horrible anime music, and with nothing other than one of Denon's higher-end receivers for power.  Did I mention I stick a TV right between these things?  One of Epik's 12" subs complement what little low-end gets missed with the 12'x14' room I got.  I still do love the things to death, and shed all but the JH16s off my inventory to get them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back