Your favorite sub-$1,000 closed-back headphones?
Dec 11, 2020 at 11:58 PM Post #286 of 323
Beyerdynamic T1p or AK T1p. One of the best open sub $1K headphones out there. Well balanced for all genres except bass thumping heavy metal...lol...

Dec 15, 2020 at 2:39 AM Post #287 of 323
I'm really liking the AH-D5200 I recently got in (on that steal of a sale) with Yaxi Fostex TH Alcantara pads the more I listen to it... it could replace the TH-X00 Purplehearts... subbass digs deeper and hits just about as hard, but cleaner and tighter, with more forward mids and a larger sense of space about it. It's just a bit thinner sounding with a less massive low end presence, and not as comfortable (headband issue).

i-Kpp8Qhc.jpg

Sep 16, 2022 at 10:12 PM Post #288 of 323
So many good closed headphones out there.
My (current) favorites:

AudioQuest NightOwl: thick, lush but still pretty resolving and textured sound. Meaty and clean sounding at the same time? It's an enigma...
Sony MDR-Z7: that big, loose, slow non-audiophile analogue bass makes up for the slight lack of lower mids. Love that bass.
Hi, is there a clear winner when comparing these two?

Sep 16, 2022 at 10:16 PM Post #289 of 323
I’m still enjoying the DT 177X Go. Right now that’s my pick out of the models I’ve heard. I consider it one of those “jack of all trades, master of none” headphones that doesn’t break the bank. Balanced tuning, warm tilt ala HD650 (yes, I’m serious) but with a little more energy on both ends. Not at all like the DT 770 I used to have though, these don’t fatigue me at all. Not the most resolving or detailed in the treble however, but not bad by any means. Overall I think it’s a good deal. Great sound, very dynamic and involving, not too pricey.

However, I can’t lie when I say I’ve been thinking about upgrading to a small degree, and the only one that keeps getting my attention is the Elegia. It looks beautiful, apparently super resolving and open sounding, but I’m concerned about their tuning/timbre. I’m also concerned about how well they isolate. I’m tempted though because I’m often finding them very slightly used or on sale for almost half their MSRP...seems like a good deal when you can get it around $450 - $600, just don’t know if I’ll like their tuning.

Everything else is either too expensive or too impractical. ZMF’s are way over budget and don’t seem office friendly, AFC2 is too expensive and apparently just okay sounding, Fostex/Denons apparently don’t isolate very well at all, etc. I did hear there’s a new Audeze LCD1 Closed on the horizon, curious to hear more about that.
Hi, did you have a chance to addition Elegia?

Sep 17, 2022 at 1:04 AM Post #291 of 323
Beyerdynamic DT-1770 Pro (w/ Lavricables Grand Silver cable).

Sep 17, 2022 at 4:39 AM Post #292 of 323
Hi, is there a clear winner when comparing these two?
No, not really. In the end they both have their strengths. That said, lately I am exclusively listening to the Z7s.

Sep 17, 2022 at 2:26 PM Post #293 of 323
I have my near perfect closed backs and they slide into this thread, just barely. :smile:

I bought "open box" Focal Radiance headphones from Headphones.com for $990.00. They look perfect and seem brand new. Most importantly they have the factory warranty, which hopefully I will never need.

I am So impressed with them.

Sep 17, 2022 at 5:08 PM Post #296 of 323
Sep 17, 2022 at 6:41 PM Post #298 of 323
Beyerdynamic DT-1770 Pro (w/ Lavricables Grand Silver cable).
Can you describe your experience with them? When I was interested in those headphones, I read some bad feedback in amazon about them and started to look at the 1990 Pros instead. I think were people who suffered rattle in drivers or dead drivers or something similar with their 1770 Pros.

Sep 18, 2022 at 6:22 AM Post #299 of 323
Can you describe your experience with them? When I was interested in those headphones, I read some bad feedback in amazon about them and started to look at the 1990 Pros instead. I think were people who suffered rattle in drivers or dead drivers or something similar with their 1770 Pros.
I have a pair I bought on the recommendation of somebody I trust (an amp builder) who said these were neutral and sealed well.

I think they're very good. I haven't had any problems with mine but they don't have big hours on them. Good, solid build and because of that somewhat heavy. They come with two sets of pads and an ok travel case. I got a replacement cable from customcans because I hate 1/8 <> 1/4 inch adapters and refuse to use them. The coiled cable that comes with the set is kinda old skool cool, but alas, it needs an adapter. It's a mystery why a company ships a pair of 250 headphones with a 1/8th inch plug... I think I remember seeing V-Moda terminates one of their cables in 1/4 inch and supplies an adaptor to 1/8th inch :D

Last edited:
Dec 13, 2022 at 1:30 PM Post #300 of 323
Anyone tried Denon AH-D7200 with an OTL tube amp? Looking for some closed back for my Feliks Echo.
I already have the Aeon 2 Noire but those are a terrible match with my Feliks. :p

What would you recommend? D7200? DT1770 Pro? Or maybe Focal Elegia?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back