Your favorite sub-$1,000 closed-back headphones?
Oct 20, 2019 at 4:11 PM Post #151 of 323
Got in the Beyerdynamic DT-177X recently... and going to say they are my new standard for closed-backs. Sorry Fostex TH-X00 PH and Argons... Very much remind me of the Etymotic ER3XRs and STAX SR-L300 Limiteds I have... balanced, nice separation, extremely clear and detailed, slightly bright but not really fatiguing. Isolation also second only to the ER3XRs. Using the leather pads with some Loki EQ...
i-hnCDH3V.jpg
Yes! I love my pair too but I’m rocking with the OG velours :)

They’re pretty balanced sounding with a slight warm tilt. Almost analog sounding which is really cool. Treble is not nearly as harsh as I was fearing so I’m glad about that as well. They’re just fun to listen to, non-fatiguing, well balanced mids, big, dynamic sound.

Not a lot of great closed backs in that sub $500 price range but this one certainly enters the ring as a solid contender against the Fostex (if you can even call that one a closed back) and Neumann.

Last edited:
Oct 22, 2019 at 1:05 PM Post #154 of 323
Got in the Beyerdynamic DT-177X recently... and going to say they are my new standard for closed-backs. Sorry Fostex TH-X00 PH and Argons... Very much remind me of the Etymotic ER3XRs and STAX SR-L300 Limiteds I have... balanced, nice separation, extremely clear and detailed, slightly bright but not really fatiguing. Isolation also second only to the ER3XRs. Using the leather pads with some Loki EQ...

I feel the same way about this point, and I think it's because the whole treble range is up in level. There aren't any standout frequencies in the treble, to my ear anyway, so despite being objectively up in level they come off as less fatiguing than other bright headphones.

Oct 24, 2019 at 1:14 PM Post #155 of 323
i-hnCDH3V.jpg
Question...the Fostex was a headphone was a headphone I had considered but I was turned off by the apparent lack of isolation so I went with the 177X. I’m really enjoying them but I am still curious about how they compare to the Fostex.

Would you be able to tell me what you prefer about the Beyer over the Fostex?

Oct 24, 2019 at 9:33 PM Post #156 of 323
Question...the Fostex was a headphone was a headphone I had considered but I was turned off by the apparent lack of isolation so I went with the 177X. I’m really enjoying them but I am still curious about how they compare to the Fostex.

Cleaner, tighter bass with overall very punchy sound and better treble... overall more neutral and thinner sounding, but more detailed and just as exciting. Also has a sense to the space that very much reminds me of the Etymotic ER3XR. Really good isolation with the leather pads as well, where you might as well have an open back with the Fostex TH-X00s.

Oct 24, 2019 at 9:46 PM Post #157 of 323
Cleaner, tighter bass with overall very punchy sound and better treble... overall more neutral and thinner sounding, but more detailed and just as exciting. Also has a sense to the space that very much reminds me of the Etymotic ER3XR. Really good isolation with the leather pads as well, where you might as well have an open back with the Fostex TH-X00s.
Cool thanks! I don’t hear many people talk about these with the velour pads, I’ve just kept those on and think they sound good and pretty warm. Almost kind of analog sounding. Less treble than expected from a Beyer.

Oct 24, 2019 at 10:02 PM Post #158 of 323
I recently picked up the Sony MDR-Z7M2 but I was curious what other closed-back headphones in a similar price range people were high on. Just curious more than anything...

I had the first gen of your 'phones. I really liked them for a few months, but then they bored me.

My cleanest/clearest closed backs are my Beyer T5p.2's, although they lack bass. My most fun closed back are my Meze 99 Classic's. I recently bought the Shure 1540's. Very cool looking and pretty good isolation. Not as clean as the T5p.2's or as fun as the Meze 99 Classic's.

Very curious about the Cascades.

Shane D

Oct 24, 2019 at 10:05 PM Post #159 of 323
Definitely my Ultrasone Signature Pro. Great sound although slightly base heavy. Great case for travel. Light weight for full size headphone. No sound leakage. Great for watching movies on iPad or listening to music in bed while my wife is sleeping.

Oct 25, 2019 at 1:06 AM Post #160 of 323
I’ve tried, amongst others, the Shure 1540s, Ultrasone Signature DXPs, and very briefly the LCD CBs and Focal Elegia, and for me the Sony MDR Z7s mk2s are by some distance the best in terms of comfort and a really impressive (relaxed) sound signature without any obvious flaws. The only bad things about them are the lack of a case and a horrible stock 3.5mm cable, but having fixed that with a Forza after-market and a Geekria case, I am, at last, truly happy with my closed back set up

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2019 at 7:07 PM Post #161 of 323
today I had the chance to try the Sony MDR z7 mk2s. I really was not expecting much, and I very rarely buy new audio gear. After 30 seconds I had a silly grin on my face, and half an hour later I had my credit card out. Brilliant cans.
these cans are underrated and great comfort.

I’ve tried, amongst others, the Shure 1540s, Ultrasone Signature DXPs, and very briefly the LCD CBs and Focal Elegia, and for me the Sony MDR Z7s mk2s are by some distance the best in terms of comfort and a really impressive (relaxed) sound signature without any obvious flaws. The only bad things about them are the lack of a case and a horrible stock 3.5mm cable, but having fixed that with a Forza after-market and a Geekria case, I am, at last, truly happy with my closed back set up
I think the Sony z7 and the Denon 7200 are the two best closed cans for the money hands down...
they both reach a higher level of resolution and have full range sound.

Oct 27, 2019 at 5:17 AM Post #163 of 323

I owned the Fostex TH-X00 Mahogany for two years before I picked up a pair of Beyerdynamic DT 1770 Pro's. Not the DT 177X exactly, but these were my impressions:

TH-X00 (EZ-trimmed Dekoni Sheepskin TH900 pads + Dynamat Extreme driver damping) vs DT 1770 (black foam piece removed + Dynamat Extreme cup and driver damping + stock velour pads)
  • TH-X00 has a distinctly-significantly larger soundstage and more holographic imaging
  • TH-X00 has distinctly more upper treble presence, lending greater air
  • DT 1770 has a distinctly more forward midrange; less V-shaped
  • TH-X00 has distinctly more powerful bass, but the DT 1770 is distinctly more textured
  • TH-X00 presentation is almost cinematic and speaker like; the DT 1770 is much more forward and intimate
  • TH-X00 has significantly more sub-bass, but the DT 1770 appears somewhat tighter
  • Detail, clarity, and separation are very similar between the two
  • The DT 1770 has the more natural sounding timbre
  • Vocals are distinctly-significantly more forward on the DT 1770
I sold the TH-X00 a little while after, and regretted it big time. The DT 1770 are competent but relatively boring, missing the big, cinematic sound of the TH-X00. I've since picked up a pair of E-MU Teaks (Lawton tuned-up + EZ-trimmed Ori lambskin pads) and am happier than I ever was. I might do a comparison of the Teaks and the DT 1770 if I'm up to it. Also had a Lawton Level 1 TH900 not too long ago, which I liked but can't say I miss terribly.

I also owned the ZMF Ori twice and didn't care much for them; same with the Shure SRH1540.

So my vote goes to the E-MU Teak.

Last edited:
Nov 6, 2019 at 12:31 AM Post #164 of 323
I got an open box MDR-Z7M2 will have that soon. I also have my second MK2 Argon on the way with MK3 baffles and a T60 Argon.

Previous to that I had an EMU teak and TH610 both of which were enjoyable but I also got tired of the sound being pushed into my ears. The Nightowl was nice EQ'd but my self built Vibrolabs with removable connector made as all of them defunct and beat them on almost every front for my preference at least.

They are unlike any T50 mods I have had before. They have many layers in the presentation, amazing sub bass and very good imaging and sound stage. MK3 is a bit warmer and MK2 is more detailed with less mid bass.

IMG_20190906_232150.jpg
IMG_20191018_204453.jpg IMG_20191018_204915.jpg

Nov 6, 2019 at 12:47 AM Post #165 of 323
I got an open box MDR-Z7M2 will have that soon. I also have my second MK2 Argon on the way with MK3 baffles and a T60 Argon.

Previous to that I had an EMU teak and TH610 both of which were enjoyable but I also got tired of the sound being pushed into my ears. The Nightowl was nice EQ'd but my self built Vibrolabs with removable connector made as all of them defunct and beat them on almost every front for my preference at least.

They are unlike any T50 mods I have had before. They have many layers in the presentation, amazing sub bass and very good imaging and sound stage. MK3 is a bit warmer and MK2 is more detailed with less mid bass.

Which did you prefer between the Teaks and 610... And why? I'm hung up between these and the Ebony.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back