Your favorite sub-$1,000 closed-back headphones?
Jan 30, 2020 at 8:04 AM Post #181 of 323
Several months after buying them, I continue to be v impressed with the Sony MDR Z7M2. They're a beautifully balanced listen, and respond well to EQ if you want a bit of sparkle up top or a more bass cannon experience. Spacious detailed sound, extreme comfort. What's not to love??! (The stock cable and lack of a carrying case, if we're being totally honest)

Jan 30, 2020 at 4:38 PM Post #182 of 323
So many good closed headphones out there.
My (current) favorites:

AudioQuest NightOwl: thick, lush but still pretty resolving and textured sound. Meaty and clean sounding at the same time? It's an enigma...
Sony MDR-Z7: that big, loose, slow non-audiophile analogue bass makes up for the slight lack of lower mids. Love that bass.

Feb 23, 2020 at 11:49 AM Post #184 of 323
Thoughts between the MDR Z7M2 and the DT 177x.
Haven’t heard the Z7M2 but I’m digging my 177X. Based on what I’ve read about them the Sony is definitely warmer and thicker in its tuning. 177X should be more balanced and neutral, it’s a hint on the warm side, but the treble still has some edge to it. Probably more crisp and dry than the Sony but I imagine the Sony as being more liquid. Including the mids. The 177X mids are dry, slightly pushed back and analytical, but very well balanced.

Feb 23, 2020 at 12:32 PM Post #185 of 323
Haven’t heard the Z7M2 but I’m digging my 177X. Based on what I’ve read about them the Sony is definitely warmer and thicker in its tuning. 177X should be more balanced and neutral, it’s a hint on the warm side, but the treble still has some edge to it. Probably more crisp and dry than the Sony but I imagine the Sony as being more liquid. Including the mids. The 177X mids are dry, slightly pushed back and analytical, but very well balanced.
I always tend to go with Sony headphones due to them having more of a v shape sound ( which is what I like). I'm thinking of branching out though and thought the dt177x would be a good choice.

Feb 23, 2020 at 1:02 PM Post #186 of 323
I always tend to go with Sony headphones due to them having more of a v shape sound ( which is what I like). I'm thinking of branching out though and thought the dt177x would be a good choice.
I do think it’s a great headphone and pretty fairly priced, although it kinda sucks that it doesn’t come with a carry case. Beyers are typically v shaped, but for this one it seems they reduced the treble and bass and fixed the midrange tuning a bit so it’s more alike a slight U shape.

Apr 5, 2020 at 6:57 AM Post #187 of 323
I highly rec the Focal Elegia. Great low end, mids and treble. Amazing clarity and detail as well. I actually sold my ZMF Eikon as I found changing the pads on the Elegia to Dekoni Elite Sheepskin pads makes the sound very similar to the Eikon. It give the low end a nice boost while still being tighter and cleaner with more detail. It helped warm up the mids and add some weight. Warmed up the treble slightly. But the Elegia keeps it's clarity and detail that its known to have over the Eikon :). Basically a more detailed and clearer Eikon.

Apr 5, 2020 at 12:31 PM Post #189 of 323
I’m still enjoying the DT 177X Go. Right now that’s my pick out of the models I’ve heard. I consider it one of those “jack of all trades, master of none” headphones that doesn’t break the bank. Balanced tuning, warm tilt ala HD650 (yes, I’m serious) but with a little more energy on both ends. Not at all like the DT 770 I used to have though, these don’t fatigue me at all. Not the most resolving or detailed in the treble however, but not bad by any means. Overall I think it’s a good deal. Great sound, very dynamic and involving, not too pricey.

However, I can’t lie when I say I’ve been thinking about upgrading to a small degree, and the only one that keeps getting my attention is the Elegia. It looks beautiful, apparently super resolving and open sounding, but I’m concerned about their tuning/timbre. I’m also concerned about how well they isolate. I’m tempted though because I’m often finding them very slightly used or on sale for almost half their MSRP...seems like a good deal when you can get it around $450 - $600, just don’t know if I’ll like their tuning.

Everything else is either too expensive or too impractical. ZMF’s are way over budget and don’t seem office friendly, AFC2 is too expensive and apparently just okay sounding, Fostex/Denons apparently don’t isolate very well at all, etc. I did hear there’s a new Audeze LCD1 Closed on the horizon, curious to hear more about that.

Last edited:
Apr 5, 2020 at 2:02 PM Post #191 of 323
LCD2-Closed back.

Those are amazing!

Apr 5, 2020 at 6:22 PM Post #192 of 323
I’m still enjoying the DT 177X Go. Right now that’s my pick out of the models I’ve heard. I consider it one of those “jack of all trades, master of none” headphones that doesn’t break the bank. Balanced tuning, warm tilt ala HD650 (yes, I’m serious) but with a little more energy on both ends. Not at all like the DT 770 I used to have though, these don’t fatigue me at all. Not the most resolving or detailed in the treble however, but not bad by any means. Overall I think it’s a good deal. Great sound, very dynamic and involving, not too pricey.

However, I can’t lie when I say I’ve been thinking about upgrading to a small degree, and the only one that keeps getting my attention is the Elegia. It looks beautiful, apparently super resolving and open sounding, but I’m concerned about their tuning/timbre. I’m also concerned about how well they isolate. I’m tempted though because I’m often finding them very slightly used or on sale for almost half their MSRP...seems like a good deal when you can get it around $450 - $600, just don’t know if I’ll like their tuning.

Everything else is either too expensive or too impractical. ZMF’s are way over budget and don’t seem office friendly, AFC2 is too expensive and apparently just okay sounding, Fostex/Denons apparently don’t isolate very well at all, etc. I did hear there’s a new Audeze LCD1 Closed on the horizon, curious to hear more about that.
Yep. I wish I could demo the Elegia

Apr 5, 2020 at 8:34 PM Post #193 of 323
I LOVE my Beyerdynamic T1s!!! But, they're open, so for commuting... not good.

I spent a lot of back and forth experimenting with closed backs. Many, many closed backs. I really wanted to like the Focal Elegia but they came across as sounding wimpy (IMHO).

I guess if it ain't broke, don't fix it. I ended up staying with Bd and getting the T5ps. Beautiful. (The Audeze LCD2-CB was a very, very, VERY close second.)

Last edited:
Apr 6, 2020 at 2:50 AM Post #194 of 323
I LOVE my Beyerdynamic T1s!!! But, they're open, so for commuting... not good.

I spent a lot of back and forth experimenting with closed backs. Many, many closed backs. I really wanted to like the Focal Elegia but they came across as sounding wimpy (IMHO).

I guess if it ain't broke, don't fix it. I ended up staying with Bd and getting the T5ps. Beautiful. (The Audeze LCD2-CB was a very, very, VERY close second.)

I agree with this. I love my T90s for open back cans and my DT1770 as far as closed back cans go are excellent. Great for listening to music however I use them primarily for recording and they work well for that too. I can't comment on the DT177X as I haven't tried them.

Apr 6, 2020 at 3:09 AM Post #195 of 323
m1060c is still probably my favorite but I do enjoy Denon 5200 as well, just don't pay msrp for them.

the 1060c is just really hard to beat especially at the price. undo 8 screws and it's a quality open back too.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back