Your favorite sub-$1,000 closed-back headphones?
Apr 8, 2020 at 9:56 PM Post #197 of 323
FAD Pandora Hope/Sonorous VI. Fantastic sound, easy to drive, with ZMF Pads/Head Bands to improve comfort.

I have been thinking about doing this for a while. The Sonorus VI is hard to come across, and I even have a set of ZMF microsuede pads and pilot pad to do this too.

How does it compare to other closed backs? I have already tried both the 1770 and the 177X and I feel like I am the only one here that prefers the 1770.

Apr 8, 2020 at 10:47 PM Post #199 of 323
I have been thinking about doing this for a while. The Sonorus VI is hard to come across, and I even have a set of ZMF microsuede pads and pilot pad to do this too.

How does it compare to other closed backs? I have already tried both the 1770 and the 177X and I feel like I am the only one here that prefers the 1770.
You’re not! I’ve heard some say they prefer the 1770. Different strokes for different folks :)

Apr 8, 2020 at 11:03 PM Post #200 of 323
You’re not! I’ve heard some say they prefer the 1770. Different strokes for different folks :)

I might be able to handle the treble on the 1770 because I have enjoyed the Amiron Home for almost a year now.

Probably wouldn't be able to handle the treble if I had been with something like the 6xxx line this entire time. But now I can't handle the bass on the 177X.

Apr 9, 2020 at 2:59 AM Post #201 of 323
I might be able to handle the treble on the 1770 because I have enjoyed the Amiron Home for almost a year now.

Probably wouldn't be able to handle the treble if I had been with something like the 6xxx line this entire time. But now I can't handle the bass on the 177X.
Yeah, I can agree myself that there’s a little too much missing at the very top and the very bottom. It is welcome to me as I am pretty treble sensitive, although I never heard a 1770 so I don’t know how I’d like it.

Apr 13, 2020 at 6:09 PM Post #202 of 323
Now after few months later I would say:
- Aeon 2 Closed
- used Fostex TH900 (achievable <$1000)
- Beyerdynamic T5p v2
- Audioquest Nightowl

All those HPs are just great! But have different approach to presenting music, also bit different sources/amps pairing needs.
* A2C are super detailed and smooth at once but very power hungry and sounds best from hybrid amp (tubes in preamp). Great isolation! Best from all HPs here. Almost as comfortable as Nightowls.

* Fostex TH900 have amazingly great subbas and spacious deep soundstage, also well presented high frequencies (might be too 'well' for some from solid state amps). However they sound isolation from the environment around you is almost none! Quite comfortable, big ears fits here easily.

* Beyers T5Pv2 are crazy holographic with 3D soundstage feeling but needs better cable imho (8 wires copper balanced) and XLR output. Sound isolation little bit worse than A2C but much better than TH900. Bigger ears may have problems to fit inside the pads, however they are very deep inside and have rounded inside parts of the pad.

* Nightowls are superb comfortable, you always don't feel them on head listening for hours. They also need hybrid amp imo - the tube in preamp (I have iFi iTube2) opens their midrange making it a huge part of layers in soundstage in front and around us - without that they are too 'darkish' like too much fog in the club :wink:. With that they also have quite nice soundstage and pleasent low regions with noticable subbas, creating very musical presentation. Decent isolation, similar to Beyers.

Btw. interesting thing, Audioquest Nighthawks are not fully closed (semi-open) and yet are isolating better than Fostex TH900! :D So if you can leave with that, maybe give a try to these with well paired amp (they need special treatement from the source, also tube in the chain do them very well like in case with Nightowls). They will thank you back with big soundstage and solid dense, big sound waves. My favourites now!

Last edited:
Apr 13, 2020 at 7:35 PM Post #203 of 323
Now after few months later I would say:
- Aeon 2 Closed
- used Fostex TH900 (achievable <$1000)
- Beyerdynamic T5p v2
- Audioquest Nightowl

All those HPs are just great! But have different approach to presenting music, also bit different sources/amps pairing needs.
* A2C are super detailed and smooth at once but very power hungry and sounds best from hybrid amp (tubes in preamp). Great isolation! Best from all HPs here. Almost as comfortable as Nightowls.

* Fostex TH900 have amazingly great subbas and spacious deep soundstage, also well presented high frequencies (might be too 'well' for some from solid state amps). However they sound isolation from the environment around you is almost none! Quite comfortable, big ears fits here easily.

* Beyers T5Pv2 are crazy holographic with 3D soundstage feeling but needs better cable imho (8 wires copper balanced) and XLR output. Sound isolation little bit worse than A2C but much better than TH900. Bigger ears may have problems to fit inside the pads, however they are very deep inside and have rounded inside parts of the pad.

* Nightowls are superb comfortable, you always don't feel them on head listening for hours. They also need hybrid amp imo - the tube in preamp (I have iFi iTube2) opens their midrange making it a huge part of layers in soundstage in front and around us - without that they are too 'darkish' like too much fog in the club :wink:. With that they also have quite nice soundstage and pleasent low regions with noticable subbas, creating very musical presentation. Decent isolation, similar to Beyers.

Btw. interesting thing, Audioquest Nighthawks are not fully closed (semi-open) and yet are isolating better than Fostex TH900! :D So if you can leave with that, maybe give a try to these with well paired amp (they need special treatement from the source, also tube in the chain do them very well like in case with Nightowls). They will thank you back with big soundstage and solid dense, big sound waves. My favourites now!
Yeah that’s the big disappointment about all of those Fostex cans (and the Emu Teak, and Denons too I think) is that they don’t isolate well so I wouldn’t be able to use them in the office. It’s a shame because I really want to try one and I’d probably enjoy them.

Apr 13, 2020 at 7:50 PM Post #204 of 323
Sorry guys but it's a no contest win to my Darth Beyer (aka DT770 with extra wide redwood burl cups, internal damping and lambskin earpads, on a Zebrawood stand.

Sound is warm and vinyl reminiscent. No treble peaks but all the detail, lush mids, fairly bassy but nothing overbearing, just a nice change of pace from my mostly neutral headphone collection.

IMG_20200414_094014.jpg

Last edited:
Apr 14, 2020 at 1:18 AM Post #205 of 323
Z7M2 without a doubt for me. Got them for AUD438 on sale and they're easily better than any other closed backs up to 1k for me. I have their older, bigger brother the Z1R's but I keep these around for when I don't want to get them out. Not great for classical or acoustic, but everything else sounds superb. I'd have been happy paying double for these!

Apr 14, 2020 at 5:36 AM Post #206 of 323
Yeah that’s the big disappointment about all of those Fostex cans (and the Emu Teak, and Denons too I think) is that they don’t isolate well so I wouldn’t be able to use them in the office. It’s a shame because I really want to try one and I’d probably enjoy them.
You may try Nightowls + DragonFly Red/Cobalt for office setup. Its decent pairing with concrete sound-wave hitting your ears.

Apr 26, 2020 at 12:20 AM Post #207 of 323
I’m still enjoying the DT 177X Go. Right now that’s my pick out of the models I’ve heard. I consider it one of those “jack of all trades, master of none” headphones that doesn’t break the bank. Balanced tuning, warm tilt ala HD650 (yes, I’m serious) but with a little more energy on both ends. Not at all like the DT 770 I used to have though, these don’t fatigue me at all. Not the most resolving or detailed in the treble however, but not bad by any means. Overall I think it’s a good deal. Great sound, very dynamic and involving, not too pricey.

However, I can’t lie when I say I’ve been thinking about upgrading to a small degree, and the only one that keeps getting my attention is the Elegia. It looks beautiful, apparently super resolving and open sounding, but I’m concerned about their tuning/timbre. I’m also concerned about how well they isolate. I’m tempted though because I’m often finding them very slightly used or on sale for almost half their MSRP...seems like a good deal when you can get it around $450 - $600, just don’t know if I’ll like their tuning.

Everything else is either too expensive or too impractical. ZMF’s are way over budget and don’t seem office friendly, AFC2 is too expensive and apparently just okay sounding, Fostex/Denons apparently don’t isolate very well at all, etc. I did hear there’s a new Audeze LCD1 Closed on the horizon, curious to hear more about that.
I can say they isolate very well and the tuning is great. A lot depends on the dac you are using. A warmer or neutral dac helps add some meat to the sound. I also found that if you want it sound warmer, more lush and relaxed while keeping the clarity and detail. Dekoni sheepskin earpads help. I sold my ZMF Eikon because of my Elegia. I also tested the Dan Clark Audio Aeon 2 closed, Sendy Aiva, ZMF Auteur and still prefer the Elegia with the new pad swap. Even a little bit of EQ with stock earpads goes a long way with the Elegia. Highly rec them. Many people have said the Elegia are bass light or lack bass. I am a former bass head and I can confirm. THEY DO NOT LACK BASS/LOW END. It's due to a dip around 125 and 200. If you bump that range up by 1 - 2 db the issue is fixed and music sounds normal again with some oomp. But the Elegia is one of the most dynamic headphones I have ever heard. The low end is crazy fast, extends deep and has amazing detail. If you try the Dekoni Sheepskin earpads, it becomes even better. I do a 1db increase at 31, 62 and 1.5 - 2db increase at 125 and 250. I have no issue with low end and never have found it lacking. A lot of it depends on your music and how well the song is recorded, the Elegia are seriously revealing of your music and the quality of it. Truly a special headphone :)

Last edited:
Apr 26, 2020 at 1:42 AM Post #208 of 323
I can say they isolate very well and the tuning is great. A lot depends on the dac you are using. A warmer or neutral dac helps add some meat to the sound. I also found that if you want it sound warmer, more lush and relaxed while keeping the clarity and detail. Dekoni sheepskin earpads help. I sold my ZMF Eikon because of my Elegia. I also tested the Dan Clark Audio Aeon 2 closed, Sendy Aiva, ZMF Auteur and still prefer the Elegia with the new pad swap. Even a little bit of EQ with stock earpads goes a long way with the Elegia. Highly rec them. Many people have said the Elegia are bass light or lack bass. I am a former bass head and I can confirm. THEY DO NOT LACK BASS/LOW END. It's due to a dip around 125 and 200. If you bump that range up by 1 - 2 db the issue is fixed and music sounds normal again with some oomp. But the Elegia is one of the most dynamic headphones I have ever heard. The low end is crazy fast, extends deep and has amazing detail. If you try the Dekoni Sheepskin earpads, it becomes even better. I do a 1db increase at 31, 62 and 1.5 - 2db increase at 125 and 250. I have no issue with low end and never have found it lacking. A lot of it depends on your music and how well the song is recorded, the Elegia are seriously revealing of your music and the quality of it. Truly a special headphone :)

Emphasis on revealing! Jeez, I just casually ran through some songs on Spotify that played well with most of my IEMs and the Elegia was not having it one bit! If music isn't recorded too well, it will be quite apparent...

Apr 26, 2020 at 2:08 AM Post #209 of 323
Emphasis on revealing! Jeez, I just casually ran through some songs on Spotify that played well with most of my IEMs and the Elegia was not having it one bit! If music isn't recorded too well, it will be quite apparent...
I agree. But when it is recorded well. It's pure joy to listen to. I have never ever had so many mixed good feelings about a headphone. They are fun yet can be analytical. They are precise yet engaging. Spacious sounding yet intimate. Intense yet relaxed. They really play what the music is. If it's relaxed, they give relaxed. If it's energetic, they do that. If it's full on intense, it will do that no problem. At first I felt they were just a very nice mid forward, clear and detailed headphone. But after much more listening. They can be anything while being crazy clear, detailed and REVEALING. How??? 🤔

Apr 29, 2020 at 7:59 PM Post #210 of 323
I agree. But when it is recorded well. It's pure joy to listen to. I have never ever had so many mixed good feelings about a headphone. They are fun yet can be analytical. They are precise yet engaging. Spacious sounding yet intimate. Intense yet relaxed. They really play what the music is. If it's relaxed, they give relaxed. If it's energetic, they do that. If it's full on intense, it will do that no problem. At first I felt they were just a very nice mid forward, clear and detailed headphone. But after much more listening. They can be anything while being crazy clear, detailed and REVEALING. How??? 🤔

I agree. Especially, I've never heard another closed-back that plays my RnB library so well... and that's including the Sony Z1R, Audeze LCD-XC, Sennheiser 820 (might be an unpopular opinion, but these are just too unnatural for me...), and the ZMF line.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back