Your favorite sub-$1,000 closed-back headphones?
Mar 12, 2019 at 8:22 PM Post #32 of 323
For now the TR-X00 mahogany is just real fun.

Mar 12, 2019 at 8:45 PM Post #34 of 323
you ask us to rank them but you dont give us your preference in music, our favorite isnt necessarily yours.
Totally agree somethings I love the 872’s with a certain genre and others not so much.

Mar 13, 2019 at 6:51 AM Post #35 of 323
I keep coming back to the DT1170's from Beyerdynamic. They're terrific.

I also love my Meze 99 Classics for some coloured, portable fun.

Mar 13, 2019 at 7:01 AM Post #36 of 323
Really enjoyed the Sony Z7M2 while I had it here, sounded very nice and capable. I also still love my Pioneer SE Monitor 5 (but I do boost the sub and low bass a little with the it).

Mar 13, 2019 at 7:21 AM Post #37 of 323
used MrSpeakers Ether Flow Closed

X00 - not for me, not accurate, not fun

Last edited:
Mar 13, 2019 at 8:49 AM Post #38 of 323
I totally forgot about the NightOwls, but those would get a vote as well, although I wouldn't consider them for outside use. It's nice that they can run off basically anything though. They honestly do almost everything well.

Mar 13, 2019 at 10:12 AM Post #41 of 323
I own a DT 770 and a CA Cascade, and briefly owned a Meze 99 Neo so my experience with closed back headphones is limited. Here’s my ranking:
  1. Cascade. Needs a long time to burn in (both the headphone and listener LOL). Bass heavy and not as detailed as my open backs but great for Pop, hip-hop, and EDM.
  2. DT 770. IMO they’re not exciting but they don’t offend either. Maybe I can’t get a good seal with them but I never found the bass to be hard hitting (my ownership of the Cascade not withstanding, I don’t consider myself a bass-head). I don’t find them to be sibilant either.
  3. Meze 99 Neo. These had a boomy, slow bass that bled into the mids and transients were poor. I didn’t keep them for long.
I’d like a closed back headphone for occasional use listening to blues, acoustic, jazz, and soul. The Elegia would be the obvious choice based on my affinity to the Focal headphone house sound but I’d like to diversify a little.

Last edited:
Mar 13, 2019 at 10:16 AM Post #42 of 323
Just so you know, when I tried the Oppo PM-3 it was basically on-ear.

Mar 13, 2019 at 4:50 PM Post #43 of 323
Not much good stuff in close backs. Aeon flow closed was one of the worst things I've heard. It had no dynamics or detail. I had to return it after about a week because I could not get it to sound good with any genre. I have not tried the Elegia but I have heard mostly bad things about it.

th-x00 is pretty good but I hardly consider it closed. I sold mine recently because it did not pair with my music genres well, but I respected its great bass. TH900 is good as well.

The only closed back I own currently is the shure srh1540. I think it is underrated. Maybe not great for its price (which is still $500 after many years), but it has very good staging and imaging for a closed back.

Mar 13, 2019 at 6:19 PM Post #44 of 323
you ask us to rank them but you dont give us your preference in music, our favorite isnt necessarily yours.
I don't think it would help, I like good music in general, from ACDC to classical, jazz, tango, prog rock, ... I prefer something relatively neutral. The PM-3 are very good, especially considering the price and size, but a bit dark and soundstage could be better. Something with the tone of Genelec 8000s monitors with good soundstage for closed back at an affordable price would be ideal.

Mar 13, 2019 at 6:56 PM Post #45 of 323
Denon D7000, Fostex TH900

Users who are viewing this thread

Back