Your favorite sub-$1,000 closed-back headphones?
Mar 13, 2019 at 7:15 PM Post #46 of 323
I don't think it would help, I like good music in general, from ACDC to classical, jazz, tango, prog rock, ... I prefer something relatively neutral. The PM-3 are very good, especially considering the price and size, but a bit dark and soundstage could be better. Something with the tone of Genelec 8000s monitors with good soundstage for closed back at an affordable price would be ideal.

aeon probaly good all around, forgiving yet neutral to warmish side...

"good" is not a really good way to describe a sound. aim for a Mr. Ether C or Ether C flow too, used gear are not bad, especially if you believe in burn-in.

Mar 13, 2019 at 11:23 PM Post #47 of 323
I might not get a lot of likes for this one, but I think the B&O H6, for its price range as a closed back, should be a top closed option, especially for those with needs for something portable. I know it’s not as technically proficient as some more expensive models, or even the PM3, but it maintains a pretty well balanced sound without being boring or harsh, great extension both ways, imaging and soundstage are good, it can be had often at a discount, and it’s very portable; a big plus for me as I don’t have much use for a closed back unless I can take it on the go or to work. Much more options for open backs at home.

Went from M50x to DT770 to H6, and have HD6XX at home. H6 isn’t quite as good as the HD6XX but I can’t use that at work and it still holds its own. Best closed right now are probably the Elegia or AFC, both of which I hope I can at least try some day...

Last edited:
Mar 13, 2019 at 11:58 PM Post #48 of 323
Here are my personal rankings for closed backs that I either currently own or have owned in the past:
1. Denon D7200
2. Mr. Speakers Alpha Prime
3. Mr Speakers Aeon Flow
4. Audeze Sine
5. Shure SRH-1540

Mar 14, 2019 at 7:41 AM Post #50 of 323
Not much good stuff in close backs. Aeon flow closed was one of the worst things I've heard. It had no dynamics or detail. I had to return it after about a week because I could not get it to sound good with any genre. I have not tried the Elegia but I have heard mostly bad things about it.

th-x00 is pretty good but I hardly consider it closed. I sold mine recently because it did not pair with my music genres well, but I respected its great bass. TH900 is good as well.

The only closed back I own currently is the shure srh1540. I think it is underrated. Maybe not great for its price (which is still $500 after many years), but it has very good staging and imaging for a closed back.

Agree with most for myself.

Really good quality closed back is a wasteland, unleess you can fork over the money for Focal Stellia and like the Focal house sound.

For me SRH-1540 provide almost no isolation and there is no easy way (afaik) to adjust clamping force AND change the pads for something more isolating, without totally destroying the sound. But yeah, they are an underappreciated and forgetten gem, esp. for the price.

I'll still imp along with my TH-X00, with colorations and all, because for me after pad swap they are comfortable, provide decent enough isolation and the below 40Hz bass can be actually heard on these (with proper amplification). With SonarWorks True-Fi activated on these, the worst colorations are muted for enjoyable, non-monitoring listening.

Mar 14, 2019 at 7:59 AM Post #51 of 323
I totally forgot about the NightOwls, but those would get a vote as well, although I wouldn't consider them for outside use. It's nice that they can run off basically anything though. They honestly do almost everything well.
I can only agree with that. A headphone that always surprises me. Seals almost as well as my BOSE 25 Noise Canceling Headphone (which I would like to sell because it is simply too poor in sound). The AudioQuest NightOwl is really good. And the price has dropped sharply. Absolute recommendation for a closed headphone.

Mar 14, 2019 at 8:18 AM Post #52 of 323
A used Fostex TH900 for sure. Everything is detailed, and the supposedly sharp highs can be tamed using EQ without sacrificing too much of the original sound signature. Female vocals are great, male vocals are decent (U shaped signature so that is to be expected). The bass slams deep into the subbass without that chubby midbass that you would normally fine in headphones of this sound signature. Better soundstage and imaging than some open backs like HD650 and LCD2C.

A distant 2nd place would be the Campfire Cascade. For me, their sound signature plays a bit too safe. Jack of all trades, master of none. Bass has LOTS of quantity, way more than TH900 and THX00 but they are not as tight and can bleed into the mids. L shaped signature (way elevated bass in terms of quantity in comparison to other stuffs).The highs are not so bright, so they can be played safely with poorly recorded tracks.

The 3rd would be the THX00. Its like a TH900 but more V shaped. More annoying highs, more bass quantity and impact (but overall quality not as good as TH900) and more recessed mids.

The 4th would be the Meze Neo 99. The same safe sound signature just like the cascade but a bit worse in all departments.

Comfort wise,
TH900 + Dekoni Lambskin earpads take the first place. Then TH900 + stock.
Campfire cascade has comfortable, thick earpads but that headband is poorly designed and will create hotspot on your scalp.
THX00 + stock earpads are worse than TH900 + stock. Smaller space for ears inside the earpads. Changing the earpads will make the comfort level equal to that of TH900 since their frame are the same thing.
Meze Neo has good headband design but very small earpads/earcups.

Both Cascade and Neo are portables. with portable casings provided. So there's that.

Last edited:
Mar 14, 2019 at 12:35 PM Post #53 of 323
I own a DT 770 and a CA Cascade, and briefly owned a Meze 99 Neo so my experience with closed back headphones is limited. Here’s my ranking:
  1. Cascade. Needs a long time to burn in (both the headphone and listener LOL). Bass heavy and not as detailed as my open backs but great for Pop, hip-hop, and EDM.
  2. DT 770. IMO they’re not exciting but they don’t offend either. Maybe I can’t get a good seal with them but I never found the bass to be hard hitting (my ownership of the Cascade not withstanding, I don’t consider myself a bass-head). I don’t find them to be sibilant either.
  3. Meze 99 Neo. These had a boomy, slow bass that bled into the mids and transients were poor. I didn’t keep them for long.
I’d like a closed back headphone for occasional use listening to blues, acoustic, jazz, and soul. The Elegia would be the obvious choice based on my affinity to the Focal headphone house sound but I’d like to diversify a little.

Have you ever heard the Eikon's? I have owned all the cans you listed, so I was hoping to hear your opinion as I agree with most all that you typed on these three headphones.

A used Fostex TH900 for sure. Everything is detailed, and the supposedly sharp highs can be tamed using EQ without sacrificing too much of the original sound signature. Female vocals are great, male vocals are decent (U shaped signature so that is to be expected). The bass slams deep into the subbass without that chubby midbass that you would normally fine in headphones of this sound signature. Better soundstage and imaging than some open backs like HD650 and LCD2C.

A distant 2nd place would be the Campfire Cascade. For me, their sound signature plays a bit too safe. Jack of all trades, master of none. Bass has LOTS of quantity, way more than TH900 and THX00 but they are not as tight and can bleed into the mids. L shaped signature (way elevated bass in terms of quantity in comparison to other stuffs).The highs are not so bright, so they can be played safely with poorly recorded tracks.

The 3rd would be the THX00. Its like a TH900 but more V shaped. More annoying highs, more bass quantity and impact (but overall quality not as good as TH900) and more recessed mids.

The 4th would be the Meze Neo 99. The same safe sound signature just like the cascade but a bit worse in all departments.

Comfort wise,
TH900 + Dekoni Lambskin earpads take the first place. Then TH900 + stock.
Campfire cascade has comfortable, thick earpads but that headband is poorly designed and will create hotspot on your scalp.
THX00 + stock earpads are worse than TH900 + stock. Smaller space for ears inside the earpads. Changing the earpads will make the comfort level equal to that of TH900 since their frame are the same thing.
Meze Neo has good headband design but very small earpads/earcups.

Both Cascade and Neo are portables. with portable casings provided. So there's that.

how HEAVY are the TH900's Can you wear them for long stretches. Do they seal very well? Thanks

Last edited:
Mar 14, 2019 at 1:11 PM Post #55 of 323
Have you ever heard the Eikon's? I have owned all the cans you listed, so I was hoping to hear your opinion as I agree with most all that you typed on these three headphones.

Unfortunate no - I usually end up buying based on reviews because the stores near me focus on speakers and high end home installation and don’t stock any headphones.

I have the Eikon and it is much better than the Cascade.

Can you elaborate on this please and compare the two- bass quantity, mids, highs, etc. Thanks!

Last edited:
Mar 15, 2019 at 2:33 AM Post #57 of 323

how HEAVY are the TH900's Can you wear them for long stretches. Do they seal very well? Thanks
TH900 is pretty light. The most comfortable headphones ive ever owned (even better than HD800) with the earpads swapped to Dekoni lambskin earpads (recommended since the earpads themselves do tame the sharp highs a bit).

Mar 15, 2019 at 10:45 AM Post #58 of 323
Like a few people have mentioned, I had the TH-X00 Purplehearts for about a year and just rarely used them. Just couldn't get into the sound, it was a little too unnatural for me (too bassy). And it didn't help that comfort wasn't great, although I never tried swapping the pads.

I've heard really really good things about pretty much everything ZMF, so that's definitely on my list for ones I'd like to hear again at a future meet.

I think it's very interesting how polarizing the opinions have been about the Elegia; seems like people either love it or absolutely hate it and there's not much in between...

Mar 15, 2019 at 10:51 AM Post #59 of 323
Agree with most for myself.

Really good quality closed back is a wasteland, unleess you can fork over the money for Focal Stellia and like the Focal house sound.

Hah it is what it is right? I keep my open-backs at home but they're just not an option at my office so I have to make do. Different situations and it's just not a fair comparison. I find that I get 'spoiled' with the extension and soundstage of open so going to closed the next day can be a little jarring. Still, I think threads like this are a very worthwhile convo to have for all the people where open-backs aren't an option.

Mar 15, 2019 at 11:04 AM Post #60 of 323
For a budget friendly closed on-ear I would highly recommend the Thinksound On2! It actually does treble right!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back