Your favorite of the LONG Progressive Rock anthems?
Jan 22, 2010 at 9:41 PM Post #32 of 60
Quote:

Originally Posted by enthewhite /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just searching for good headphones for prog-rock and found this thread, figured I'd add one in...

Milliontown by Frost* - If you haven't heard this band then look 'em up!

Fantastic record, and I mean *really* fantastic, but hardly a prog rock anthem, IMO obviously.

I can name my top 3:

Tull - Thick as a Brick
Floyd - Piper at the gates of dawn
King Crimson - In the court of the crimson king

Favorite? Probably Piper ...

Jan 22, 2010 at 9:52 PM Post #33 of 60
c_apsog.jpg

Jan 23, 2010 at 10:01 AM Post #35 of 60
Quote:

Originally Posted by MD1032 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
In my opinion, "A Change of Seasons" is an admirable submission from a modern band (Dream Theater).

This! Pure win from the first minute to the last.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 23, 2010 at 10:26 AM Post #37 of 60
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jubei /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Echoes for me! But don't think it is over 20 minutes long ... actually would have voted for Saucerful of Secrets if it was a choice.

Echoes for me too, IIRC it's 16:30 and not 20 o_O

Jan 23, 2010 at 10:30 AM Post #38 of 60
Who remembers 'The Friday Night Rock Show' on Radio 1 with Tommy Vance? A couple of times a year, one of them being the annual vote for best rock track (invariably won by Stairway to Heaven) you would get to hear 'Suppers Ready' in all of its glory. It was usually in the top 5.

I worked in Boston for a summer and used to listen to WBCN the Rock of Boston (I think that is right). Each night they had 'the long song' and again, for me Suppers Ready was the stand out.

For me it is the ultimate as each part is a classic in its own right, I particularly like the opening section and later Phil Collins amazing 'out of time' drumming. Then the subject matter is psychedellic, spaced out, dream, nightmare, fantasy, all the elements you need for prog. It is an epic that has been with me for as long as I can remember.

I want it played at my funeral!

Jan 23, 2010 at 10:59 AM Post #39 of 60
Quote:

Originally Posted by WalkGood /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Echoes for me too, IIRC it's 16:30 and not 20 o_O

The original studio version of Echoes on PF's MEDDLE album is 23:29 long. The version on the compilation album ECHOES is 16:00 (and something) long. That version sucks compared to the original as great parts were edited out.

Jan 23, 2010 at 11:10 AM Post #40 of 60
I dont think that we should be too hung up on the 20 minutes plus requirement. My other favourite long songs are 'And You and I' 10m 9s and 'Awaken' at 15m 31s by Yes.

Jan 23, 2010 at 4:34 PM Post #42 of 60
Quote:

Originally Posted by baka1969 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The original studio version of Echoes on PF's MEDDLE album is 23:29 long. The version on the compilation album ECHOES is 16:00 (and something) long. That version sucks compared to the original as great parts were edited out.

You're right on both counts and yes it sounds better. I looked at my Meddle album and noticed, but mine says 23:28 o_O

Jan 23, 2010 at 5:13 PM Post #43 of 60
Quote:

Originally Posted by baka1969 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I need to mention Porcupine Tree's "The Sky Moves Sideways". Which came long before "The Incident".

The Sky Moves Sideways is a great track indeed. I'm more into The Incident at the moment, but that's because it's newer and fresher. They are so different. Hard to believe it's the same band. I always listen to TSMS with Denon D5000 and The Incident with RS1i. To completely different prog gems from Steven Wilson.
darthsmile.gif

Jan 23, 2010 at 6:18 PM Post #44 of 60
It has to be Echoes for me.

I have been in love with this since I bought Meddle back in '73

I also have seen Yes and Genesis perform live many times and eben ELP once or twice.

I think I have the albums to go with every choice in that poll and then some.

I will go and see if I can find more worthy contenders.

Atom Heart Mother is good track, but the band were never happy with it, they say there is a timing issue on the bass/percussion track because the original was wiped by mistake and they had to do a retake in a real hurry and then mash it all together.

Tubular Bells side 1 is aslo a complete single work and pretty darned awesome.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back