your favorite musical genre?
Jun 29, 2011 at 1:45 PM Post #196 of 245
I'm surprised by the lack of hip-hop.

I voted noise music, as I think many of my favorite pieces of Jazz and Prog rock are noise. And additionally I love industrial music, which evolved from sheer noise.
But I wonder why Noise is even in the poll, I love it, but I see it rather as a sub genre of either post-punk or industrial, or as a small part that is 'pure chaos' and not musical per se.

My genres:
Progressive Rock: 35%
Industrial: 25%
Classic Rock: 10%
Classical: 10%
Jazz: 10%
Folk: 5%
Misc: 5%

Edit; Read most of the thread. What a rant, and especially what a heap of nonsense.
Why would you think that modern music is of less musical qualities? Sure pop music is not always as good, but back in the 40's you had pop fitting the same criteria as modern pop.
There is for example modern jazz. Beautiful, and no less so than it used to be 80 years ago (just different).
Furthermore I think some of the 60s/70s progressive rock is good to the point of a feeling of divine intervention. Have you ever listened completely to some of the King Crimson, Emmerson Lake & Palmer or Pink Floyd albums? Some of them honestly gave me a feeling of divine intervention at least once. (I'm atheist, btw).
Another example is some of the 80s industrial music (esp. Coil, in my opinion). And another example is the indie rock of the 90s.

I'm not implying old music is bad, in fact I can appreciate it just as much as newer music. It's just very different, but then again EVERYTHING is different in this new day and age.

Jun 29, 2011 at 1:50 PM Post #197 of 245
I have some 4,500 songs. I don't even know what all the artists are anymore (considering I only ever listen to maybe 200-300 at a time).

I am really enjoying DnB, Break Beats, and Trance of late. I love me some good metal/ hard rock. I don't like heavy metal as much (modern HM).

I do have classical; but, not much Jazz.

Jun 30, 2011 at 10:31 PM Post #198 of 245
I listen to a bit of everything...been listening to bass heavy music lately.  I dont like hip-hop though. 

Aug 3, 2011 at 6:41 PM Post #200 of 245
My top 3 favorite bands are not even in my favorite genres.  I absolutely love down tempo/trip-hop.  I also love classical.

Aug 3, 2011 at 11:52 PM Post #201 of 245
i consider my taste eclectic. Im a music fan. that means i dont hate any genre and i am open to listening to anything and if i dont like something i dont hate it and can give it a chance another day. my taste in recent months has been experimental hip-hop though.

Sep 28, 2011 at 12:32 PM Post #204 of 245
Just renewing interest in this thread. Wonder if this still stands true today.

Oct 3, 2011 at 10:25 PM Post #206 of 245
i'm highly diverse. i love every single genre/sub-genre known and unknown. basically i love music.

Oct 3, 2011 at 10:44 PM Post #208 of 245
lol, i understand bout being challenged with some genres but usually i end some time sooner or later find atleast one song i like. i think i heard some japanese noise group before. i have to check it out again. i never heard of avant-garde. i have listened to speed-core and splittercore before which can be just ridiculous most of the time but i actually found couple producers i actually liked believe it or not.

Oct 4, 2011 at 4:03 AM Post #210 of 245
lol, i understand bout being challenged with some genres but usually i end some time sooner or later find atleast one song i like. i think i heard some japanese noise group before. i have to check it out again. i never heard of avant-garde. i have listened to speed-core and splittercore before which can be just ridiculous most of the time but i actually found couple producers i actually liked believe it or not.

I have this too, but this thread is about which genres you like the most, i.e. genres that you tend to listen to most.
I can appreciate almost any genre, but there are many genres I can appreciate which I very rarely listen to. Examples include hardcore punk, classical or hip-hop (with Gorillaz as a single exception).

There is nothing wrong with speed-core; I have listened to a lot of lolicore which would fit the description of speedcore (although most of it is breakcore) and some of it is actually quite good. But of that genre the only artist I really listen to on a semi-regular basis is gore****, and maybe loli****. I listen to it, and I even like it, but it's still not part of my favorite genres.

PS: Why must head-fi have censorship?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back