your favorite musical genre?
Apr 19, 2011 at 11:52 PM Post #17 of 245
these results are definitely interesting. keep em' coming.

Apr 20, 2011 at 12:56 AM Post #18 of 245
Overall, classical. It's the only genre I've enjoyed from childhood to middle age and I still love the same compositions I did 30 years ago, but I've also gotten into 20th century and came around on baroque. I like pretty much all of it these days. It also plays well with my favorite headphones and speakers, vacuum tubes, and there's a ton of it on SACD. Great recordings abound.

I'm also a big jazz fan, but came late to that party. I've only been into it for five years. I wish more was available in hi-rez and that collectors hadn't squirreled away most of the good vinyl while driving up prices.

I also love rock (oldies, classic, punk, psychedelic, classic metal, New Wave, grunge, alternative, indie), country (including bluegrass, folk, classic country, alt.country/No Depression), world music, a little gospel, a little electronica, and a few oddballs that don't fit anywhere. I have a handful of early rap records - back when new ground was being broken - but the genre has disappointed me for the past 20 years.

I don't have an ear for most commercial music, either. Commercial rap/hiphop, pop, country, et al. don't have anything that interests me. The contemporary music I like falls into small niches, while a lot of older popular music has a lot of appeal. It's hard to believe that something like "Take Five" was a hit with broad appeal at one time. I'm also horribly jealous of my parents who got to see Dave Brubeck play at a small bar in Redondo Beach. (Though not complaining too much - I've seen plenty of wonderful performances.)

Apr 20, 2011 at 2:19 AM Post #19 of 245

Quote:
Definitely metal. I think the complexity of metal's musical composition and the variety of instruments are really magnified by higher end equipment.

The only genre I listen to that doesn't seem to get better with proper equipment is metal, but 80% of my metal is black metal so that may an explanation..
wink.gif

Apr 20, 2011 at 3:13 PM Post #20 of 245
I personally enjoy a wide range of genres

trance (lots of vocal and melodic trance and some chillout/sad/melancholic trance), eurodancebreakbeathardcore, hardstyle, pop (especially finnish or swedish electro-pop alternative example but I do also listen to more mainstream pop from Katy Perry and some of Gaga), (love) ballads (another example), some rock (especially indie rock such as Snow Patrol older rock from Europe and such and some rock ballads), metal (mostly symphonic metal similar to Within Temptation but also some newer vocal or speedmetal), orchestra (mostly from movie/anime and especially RPG console game OSTs such as this or this), some country and some rap or oldschool hiphop

Is it common to listen to such wide range of music? I probably forgot to mention some, genres I don't like are especially jazz and blues.

Apr 20, 2011 at 3:19 PM Post #21 of 245
I'll listen to anything and the only genres I don't much care for is metal (sorry guys) and commercial country.

Seriously, there's usually something interesting in any music genre and I'll include top 40 pop in that.

Apr 20, 2011 at 10:50 PM Post #22 of 245
My favorite musical niche is Harlem Jazz (Cab Calloway, Duke Ellington, Don Redman, Fats Waller, etc.) Western Swing would be a close second (Bob Wills and his Texas Playboys, Milton Brown and his Musical Brownies, Hank Thompson and his Brazos Valley Boys, etc.)

Apr 20, 2011 at 11:11 PM Post #23 of 245
wow there seems to be a lot of hate for rap and country around here.

Apr 21, 2011 at 12:42 PM Post #25 of 245
wow there seems to be a lot of hate for rap and country around here.

I thought I hated country music until a friend showed me what REAL country music sounded like. Now it's at the top of my favorites. As for rap, I don't care for a lot of it because it's so musically bare. But Snoop Dawgg's Doggiestyle is one of the greatest albums of recent times. I consider it the Sgt Pepper of rap. Too bad it hasn't had the same kind of influence on other musicians.

Apr 21, 2011 at 3:09 PM Post #26 of 245
I voted, but for rock as a very general genre. More accurately (with best example)  it is

Classic British Prog Rock 1960/1970s - Pink Floyd
Nordic Prog Rock 1970/1980/1990/2000s - Anekdoten
Post Rock/Math Rock 2000s - ASIWYFA
Rock 1970s - Led Zeppelin
Metal 1990/2000s - Secret Machines
Indie 1990/2000s - Broken Social Scene
Trip Hop/Electronica 1990s - Faithless
Punk/New Wave 1970/1980s - The Stranglers
Soundtracks/Minimalism 1970/1980/1990/2000s - Thomas Newman

Apr 21, 2011 at 6:49 PM Post #27 of 245
I voted country, but that's not covering it exactly.
Americana would be more accurate. A mixture of alt.country, roots-rock, folk and blues.

Apr 21, 2011 at 8:23 PM Post #28 of 245
Electronic got my vote. More precisely...Drum n Bass, Freeform/FINRG, DubStep, and Dance.

I'm also a huge Folk and Solo Guitar fan.

EDIT: DnB (ie. Netsky), Freeform (ie. Alek Szahala), DubStep (ie. Chasing Shadows), Dance (ie. Manian)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back