Your 5 newest CDs (or LPs)
Sep 12, 2013 at 9:59 PM Post #6,016 of 6,671

a tad off track, but I figured it would be cool to post here.

Stuck all my albums i currently have and (have yet to have) on to my wall. since it's been boring and blue for quite awhile.

As you see.. i need to repaint my wall, but otherwise i think it looks great!

used 3M Poster/Picture hanging tape, the kind that comes off clean and holds strong.

Sep 12, 2013 at 11:30 PM Post #6,017 of 6,671
a tad off track, but I figured it would be cool to post here.

Stuck all my albums i currently have and (have yet to have) on to my wall. since it's been boring and blue for quite awhile.

As you see.. i need to repaint my wall, but otherwise i think it looks great!

used 3M Poster/Picture hanging tape, the kind that comes off clean and holds strong.

Nice way to show off your music collection more quickly! But will the tape still hold well if you repeatedly take an album off the wall and back? And do you plan on filling that wall to full capacity?

Sep 12, 2013 at 11:36 PM Post #6,018 of 6,671
Nice way to show off your music collection more quickly! But will the tape still hold well if you repeatedly take an album off the wall and back? And do you plan on filling that wall to full capacity?

Well tape is no velcro and the adhesive would definitely weaken if i were to constantly remove and reattach.

I do intend on the other hand, to just open the case while attached to the wall. Since most of my CD music would already be digitized into FLAC or ALAC.

and, my interest and time will tell if i will ever be able to fill that wall!

im in the process of decorating since i never get the chance to in the past.

Sep 13, 2013 at 2:34 PM Post #6,019 of 6,671

First one is obviously an LP, the next three are CDs and the last one is a digital download from Bandcamp. It's actually a name-your-price release, but it's certainly an album worth mentioning, hence its inclusion.

Dusty Springfield - Dusty in Memphis [Analogue Productions, 200g 45rpm 2 LP]

Charlie Winston - Running Still [limited edition mini gatefold LP replica]

Cult of Luna - Vertikal [limited edition digipak with bonus track]

Leprous - Coal [limited mediabook edition with two bonus tracks]

Exist Strategy - Horizon Aura
http://existstrategy.bandcamp.com/album/horizon-aura

Sep 17, 2013 at 1:33 PM Post #6,021 of 6,671

Aphex Twin - Selected Ambient Works 85-92

Slayer - Hell Awaits [limited edition colored vinyl]

Vangelis - Blade Runner [Audio Fidelity hybrid SACD]

Hiromi - Brain [Telarc hybrid SACD]

Keigo Hoashi & Ryuichi Takada - Dusk Maiden of Amnesia Original Soundtrack

I ordered the Blu-ray without even realizing the series came bundled with the 2-disc soundtrack. This was a very welcome surprise. I wish more series did this.

Sep 17, 2013 at 8:52 PM Post #6,023 of 6,671

Aphex Twin - Selected Ambient Works 85-92

Slayer - Hell Awaits [limited edition colored vinyl]

Vangelis - Blade Runner [Audio Fidelity hybrid SACD]

Hiromi - Brain [Telarc hybrid SACD]

Keigo Hoashi & Ryuichi Takada - Dusk Maiden of Amnesia Original Soundtrack

I ordered the Blu-ray without even realizing the series came bundled with the 2-disc soundtrack. This was a very welcome surprise. I wish more series did this.

Seriously, Dusk Maiden has to be one of those anime that really just surprised me. Especially with the ending; such a great anime.

Sep 18, 2013 at 6:23 AM Post #6,024 of 6,671
Morbid, I will once I've listened to it. In the video Audio Fidelity has on YouTube Kevin Gray talks about how the 24bit/88.2kHz files he received have a lot of extremely low-frequency rumble throughout most of the album – all of which he left in – so I'm really interested to hear how the disc sounds.

Destroysall, we seem to have had similar experiences with the series. After seeing a couple of the first episodes I frankly wasn't sure if the series was going to be worth my time. Once I got a bit further into it I started liking it more but would have probably still considered it to be just above mediocrity. After seeing the last couple of episodes I suddenly realized I actually like it a whole lot more than I had thought. I found the ending much more emotionally moving than I would have possibly expected from the series. It made me cry and that's always a huge pro in my book. I will certainly think of the series with warmth.

Sep 18, 2013 at 10:04 AM Post #6,025 of 6,671
My latest 5 have been:-

Schpongle: Museum of Consciousness
Nine Inch Nails: Hesitation Marks.
Womack & Womack: Conscience
Lisa Knapp: Hidden Seam.
London grammar: If you wait.

Apologies for the lack of pics. Antiquated company software.

Sep 19, 2013 at 4:45 AM Post #6,026 of 6,671

Destroysall, we seem to have had similar experiences with the series. After seeing a couple of the first episodes I frankly wasn't sure if the series was going to be worth my time. Once I got a bit further into it I started liking it more but would have probably still considered it to be just above mediocrity. After seeing the last couple of episodes I suddenly realized I actually like it a whole lot more than I had thought. I found the ending much more emotionally moving than I would have possibly expected from the series. It made me cry and that's always a huge pro in my book. I will certainly think of the series with warmth.

It's nice to know I wasn't the only one who cried at the end of it all. There's been quite a few shows recently that have applied the same concept of becoming a serious drama more towards the end. Not that it's a bad thing, of course. :)

So I recently made another vinyl purchase. Will have to post a photo of the actual vinyl later, so hopefully a stock album photo will do for now. Might be the last purchase I make for a while since I plan on upgrading my cartridge next.

Sep 19, 2013 at 10:33 AM Post #6,027 of 6,671
Let me know on that Blade Runner SACD. I grabbed the LP and it's AMAZING.

I just finished listening to the SACD. The sound is very clear and calm, emerging from a perfectly quiet background and flowing freely without being limited dynamically. Didn't do a direct comparison with the 25th anniversary edition which I also have, but I doubt the album could sound much better than the SACD does. It's not the best sounding disc I've ever heard but I don't really have any complaints either. I actually imagine I might enjoy the album more on vinyl regardless of how it sounds on it, but I'm not big enough of a Blade Runner fan to get the LP.

It's nice to know I wasn't the only one who cried at the end of it all. There's been quite a few shows recently that have applied the same concept of becoming a serious drama more towards the end. Not that it's a bad thing, of course. :)

I become very emotionally invested in well-written stories. In my daily life I can often be reasonably stoic, but if a story is powerful enough I'm not afraid to lower my defenses and let it touch me. Got any anime shows you could recommend me? For the past few years I've felt the need to watch a couple of series I haven't seen before every fall and this year is no different. All of my friends who have an interest in anime go pretty much based on my recommendations so I've always had to pick new things to watch pretty much at random, so the results are understandably very hit-or-miss.

Sep 19, 2013 at 1:32 PM Post #6,028 of 6,671

I become very emotionally invested in well-written stories. In my daily life I can often be reasonably stoic, but if a story is powerful enough I'm not afraid to lower my defenses and let it touch me. Got any anime shows you could recommend me? For the past few years I've felt the need to watch a couple of series I haven't seen before every fall and this year is no different. All of my friends who have an interest in anime go pretty much based on my recommendations so I've always had to pick new things to watch pretty much at random, so the results are understandably very hit-or-miss.

LOL I am the same way, though as someone who adores art in any fashion, it can be hard not to remain stoic especially if it is something that really moves me. As for recommendations, some of the latest ones that have impressed me were Attack on Titan (a real popular one; you may have already heard/seen it), Flowers of Evil, and Mirrai Nikki are a few to mention. There are more, but I can't think of them currently. However one anime I'm currently looking forward to is Kill la Kill. This one is made by the same creators of Gurrenn Lagann, which is a favorite of mine. It starts in October and it looks promising so far.

Sep 19, 2013 at 4:00 PM Post #6,029 of 6,671
  LOL I am the same way, though as someone who adores art in any fashion, it can be hard not to remain stoic especially if it is something that really moves me. As for recommendations, some of the latest ones that have impressed me were Attack on Titan (a real popular one; you may have already heard/seen it), Flowers of Evil, and Mirrai Nikki are a few to mention. There are more, but I can't think of them currently. However one anime I'm currently looking forward to is Kill la Kill. This one is made by the same creators of Gurrenn Lagann, which is a favorite of mine. It starts in October and it looks promising so far.

I am also fond of art in all of its forms. At its strongest art can be very deeply moving experience for me.

Thanks for the recommendations. I have not seen any of those and will write them down so I won't forget.

Sep 24, 2013 at 7:10 AM Post #6,030 of 6,671
Just the one this time. I got an unexpected $10 gift credit for Amazon, so I got this:

After the disappointment of the Anne-Sophie Mutter set and the spottiness of Henryk Szeryng's performances, I decided I still needed an exemplary recording of the three extant Bach violin concertos, which is one of the most basic necessities in any Bach collection. I had initially tried this Grumiaux performance but passed over it because of the way he's spotlighted--just a little loud compared to the backing orchestra. However, his tempos are spot on, his playing is superb, his tone is much more brilliant than on his solo sonatas and partitas from 1960, and Krebbers complements him perfectly in BWV 1043. Plus, the production is typical 70s Philips: deliciously clear, warm, and present. Next to all this, my issues with the balance are very easy to get over. This recording is basically maple syrup in musical form.

I don't have it yet. I just ordered it. But the Decca catalog site has high-bitrate one-minute previews for each track on almost every album, and that's all I needed to determine that this might be the definitive recording for people who like their Bach violin concertos played with medium-fast tempos and without all the period strings/instruments/tuning hoopla that seems to be all the rage these days.

And no, I have no idea what the Silver Line Classics business is all about, but it just so happens that Argyris = Silver, so I feel like it's destiny I would like this recording. 
smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back