Your 5 newest CDs (or LPs)
Sep 24, 2013 at 7:53 AM Post #6,031 of 6,671
I've been on something of a Porcupine Tree binge as of late. I bought "Up the Downstair" about a month ago, and in the past couple weeks I added "Stupid Dream", "Stars Die", "The Sky Moves Sideways", and "Voyage 34" is on the way from Amazon. (Love the Auto-Rip feature on Amazon - buy a CD, and you can download the .mp3 immediately to your cloud player.)

Sep 24, 2013 at 9:23 AM Post #6,032 of 6,671
Okay, here's my latest seven music purchases. First three are vinyl, next two CDs and the last two digital downloads, with the first one being from Bandcamp and the second a single from iTunes Store.

The Beatles - Abbey Road [2012 reissue based on the 2009 remaster]

Om - Advaitic Songs [45rpm 2 LP]

Dead Can Dance - Withing the Realm of a Dying Sun

Janis Ian - Between the Lines [BoxStar Records 24 kt gold edition]

Yes - Going for the One [Audio Fidelity hybrid SACD]

Amanda Palmer - Amanda Palmer Goes Down Under
https://amandapalmer.bandcamp.com/album/amanda-palmer-goes-down-under

bungaP & VOCALOTUS - ラプンツェルに迎えは来ない/龍の卵 (Rapunzel / The Dragon's Egg)

Sep 24, 2013 at 9:48 AM Post #6,033 of 6,671
  Just the one this time. I got an unexpected $10 gift credit for Amazon, so I got this:

After the disappointment of the Anne-Sophie Mutter set and the spottiness of Henryk Szeryng's performances, I decided I still needed an exemplary recording of the three extant Bach violin concertos, which is one of the most basic necessities in any Bach collection. I had initially tried this Grumiaux performance but passed over it because of the way he's spotlighted--just a little loud compared to the backing orchestra. However, his tempos are spot on, his playing is superb, his tone is much more brilliant than on his solo sonatas and partitas from 1960, and Krebbers complements him perfectly in BWV 1043. Plus, the production is typical 70s Philips: deliciously clear, warm, and present. Next to all this, my issues with the balance are very easy to get over. This recording is basically maple syrup in musical form.

I don't have it yet. I just ordered it. But the Decca catalog site has high-bitrate one-minute previews for each track on almost every album, and that's all I needed to determine that this might be the definitive recording for people who like their Bach violin concertos played with medium-fast tempos and without all the period strings/instruments/tuning hoopla that seems to be all the rage these days.

And no, I have no idea what the Silver Line Classics business is all about, but it just so happens that Argyris = Silver, so I feel like it's destiny I would like this recording. 
smile.gif

I love '70s Phillips as well, especially the Mozart wind music series.  I'll bet the vinyl of this performance is mighty good although I am a fan of the "hoopla".

Sep 24, 2013 at 9:49 AM Post #6,034 of 6,671
Left to right: Benji Vaugn - Even Tundra (Twisted Records), Aes Dana - Leylines (Ultimae Records), Hol Baumann - Human (Ultimae Records),

Third Ear Audio - Third Ear Audio (Dubmission Records), Bjork - Debut (Mother Records)

These are my my latest purchases..... But only one of them is new in the sense that it is a recent release.

Sep 24, 2013 at 1:02 PM Post #6,035 of 6,671
I really need to post more often in order to avoid these monster posts:

Any questions about what any of it is, let me know. ^^ In the meantime, I've got a *ton* of listening to do.

Sep 26, 2013 at 3:07 PM Post #6,036 of 6,671
  I really need to post more often in order to avoid these monster posts:

Any questions about what any of it is, let me know. ^^ In the meantime, I've got a *ton* of listening to do.

Glad to see I'm not the only one who buys a lot of stuff on a regular basis. Who's the artist for the album with the bear on the cover? I like the artwork.

Beatport sent me a 25% off coupon today and I used up the money in my PayPal to buy these eight releases in AIFF.

Mango - Citylanes Airplanes [Silk Digital Records]
 ​
Shingo Nakamura & Jacob Henry - Words Unspoken [Silk Royal Records]
 ​
Stan Chetverikov - Sensation [Silk Textures]
 ​
Rodrigo Deem & Marcos Destefanis - Pastela [Nueva House]
 ​
Embliss & Ad Brown - Oreon [Particles]
 ​
Deas - The Yellow Dragon [Particles]
 ​
Hells Kitchen - The End of Us [Aura Music]
 ​
Mr Hart - Looks Back [Aura Music]

Sep 26, 2013 at 5:35 PM Post #6,037 of 6,671
That's another Nest album--the EP Fabled Lore. 

Quote:
  Glad to see I'm not the only one who buys a lot of stuff on a regular basis. Who's the artist for the album with the bear on the cover? I like the artwork.

Sep 28, 2013 at 5:05 PM Post #6,038 of 6,671
I'm right in the middle of the a buying frenzy right now.  Been listening like crazy here lately.  Pardon the photography.  The upper right one is Chopin Complete Nocturnes and Impromptus.

Sep 28, 2013 at 6:03 PM Post #6,039 of 6,671
  I'm right in the middle of the a buying frenzy right now.  Been listening like crazy here lately.  Pardon the photography.  The upper right one is Chopine Complete Nocturnes and Impromptus.

Since I can't make it out, who's playing the Chopin?

Sep 28, 2013 at 6:46 PM Post #6,040 of 6,671
  I'm right in the middle of the a buying frenzy right now.  Been listening like crazy here lately.  Pardon the photography.  The upper right one is Chopine Complete Nocturnes and Impromptus.

I've got the Bruch, also.  Good ceedees.

Just been listening to the 15-16 year old Hassid on the first side, the 22 year old Ricci on the second.

Sep 29, 2013 at 7:54 AM Post #6,042 of 6,671

Claudio Arrau is playing on the Chopin CD.

I have the Barenboim set on DG, which a lot of people seem to think is a bit staid and dry. I've always liked it, even if I can see where people are coming from with those complaints. Then again, when I play I always prefer subtle and measured performance to the more vivid, emotional style, so maybe that's why. Nevertheless, now that I've thoroughly burned myself out on Baroque, I plan on aiming for some Classical and Romantic period stuff. I've heard good things about the Arrau recording, though I'd never looked it up so I didn't know what the cover looked like. I'm happy to see it's on Philips--their production seems to be consistently excellent.

Oct 1, 2013 at 8:57 PM Post #6,045 of 6,671
I have the Barenboim set on DG, which a lot of people seem to think is a bit staid and dry. I've always liked it, even if I can see where people are coming from with those complaints. Then again, when I play I always prefer subtle and measured performance to the more vivid, emotional style, so maybe that's why. Nevertheless, now that I've thoroughly burned myself out on Baroque, I plan on aiming for some Classical and Romantic period stuff. I've heard good things about the Arrau recording, though I'd never looked it up so I didn't know what the cover looked like. I'm happy to see it's on Philips--their production seems to be consistently excellent.

This particular one is really good. Not played too fast and has a lot of the subtlety that I enjoy. Though the Bruch cd in the pic was my first exposure to that composer. All I have to say is wow! That blows me away about like Paganini blows me away.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back