Your 5 newest CDs (or LPs)
Aug 22, 2013 at 8:23 PM Post #5,956 of 6,671

Bar a few Bandcamp goodies I can't seem to keep track of, here are my recent acquisitions. I'm particularly proud of the first 2 (upper left) thanks the the Wintersun tour. 
gs1000.gif

Aug 23, 2013 at 8:05 PM Post #5,959 of 6,671
So I gave into temptation and bought the Cowboy Bebop soundtrack from iTunes. I know its probably better on CD, but I couldn't help myself. I think I'll wait to buy the CD for now. I think this will be last CD purchase in a while. I need to start saving up for a lot of things, including a hi-fi system.

Aug 24, 2013 at 8:23 AM Post #5,960 of 6,671

D- Sides - Gorillaz

Wolfmother - Wolfmother

thoughts on Wolfmother's album?

I like it, though listening to this album on ALAC(AppleLosslessAudioCodec) on my Sony MDR-V6's isnt as great, but this is why i own the Grado Sr80i. which is just great with Wolfmother's hard rock.
because it seems Wolfmother's music needs a headphone that offers a very forward sound.

listening via Sony MDR-V6 just seems so laid back and not so lively. or awesome.

Aug 24, 2013 at 1:08 PM Post #5,961 of 6,671
I'm not big on Wolfmother but that album art is fantastic

Aug 24, 2013 at 3:14 PM Post #5,962 of 6,671
I really liked that album. Colossal is an amazing song, and of course the singles are good. The album as a whoke is good.

They remind me of Clutch with less grit and way less badass vocals, but similar style.

Seriously though, Colossal is soooo good. Just a pure hard rock song.

Aug 24, 2013 at 3:51 PM Post #5,963 of 6,671
Quote:

D- Sides - Gorillaz

Wolfmother - Wolfmother

thoughts on Wolfmother's album?

I like it, though listening to this album on ALAC(AppleLosslessAudioCodec) on my Sony MDR-V6's isnt as great, but this is why i own the Grado Sr80i. which is just great with Wolfmother's hard rock.
because it seems Wolfmother's music needs a headphone that offers a very forward sound.

listening via Sony MDR-V6 just seems so laid back and not so lively. or awesome.

Hmm, I haven't listened to that in a long time....now I will! That's the only one of theirs that I have.

Aug 24, 2013 at 5:15 PM Post #5,964 of 6,671

I actually purchased the first two on the Bottom Row, 

Currently re visiting Metallica... they are still horrible imo... but these first 2 albums are great but only due to the input of Cliff Burton... may he rest in peace... 

Aug 25, 2013 at 1:22 AM Post #5,967 of 6,671
Quote:
^I like Born of Osiris, but I felt their best work to date was The Discovery. Their latest album involves too much open-note chugging. Not something I particularly fancy, but that is just me. I felt they left much of the progressive sound they were aiming for.

I can agree with that. Discovery is definitely my favorite cd of theirs. I haven't listened to the new one enough to have a complete opinion but it isn't doing it for me like Discovery did, at least not so far.

Aug 25, 2013 at 5:18 AM Post #5,968 of 6,671
I hope I won't get hurt for stretching it to six just this one time. After all, the originator of the thread put six. Here goes:

Clockwise, from upper left:

-Holst: The Planets, Elgar: Pomp & Circumstance / Georg Solti / LPO
-Bach / Vivaldi: Concerti for Two Violins / Isaac Stern / Pinchas Zukerman / Saint Paul Chamber Orchestra
-Mendelssohn: Octet Op. 20, Quintet Op. 87 / Academy Chamber Orchestra (Academy of St. Martin-in-the-Fields)
-Vivaldi: L'Estro Armonico, Op. 3 / Roberto Michelucci / I Musici
-Bach: The 4 Orchestral Suites, The Violin Concertos / Henryk Szeryng / Maurice Hasson / Neville Marriner / ASMF
-Bach: Concerto for Two Violins in D major, Violin Concertos in A minor and E major / Anne-Sophie Mutter / Salvatore Accardo / English Chamber Orchestra

I'm happy with most of these. The only real disappointment is the last one. The performances are nice, but the sound is some of the worst I've ever heard, with frequent (digital) clipping in louder sections. EMI should be ashamed of themselves for releasing it. The Vivaldi Op. 3 was recorded in 1962-63 but it sounds astonishingly good. Solti's Planets is nice but not the best version I have. Stern and Pinchas make an awesome pair, with rich, gorgeous tone. And ASMF turns in its invariably excellent effort for the remaining two albums, with the Szeryng / Hasson performance of Bach's double concerto ranking as one of the finest I've ever heard.

I've got another six coming, and I'll post those as well when they're all here. Maybe by then I'll devise a way of taking a better picture.

Aug 26, 2013 at 9:55 AM Post #5,970 of 6,671
Quote:
-Holst: The Planets, Elgar: Pomp & Circumstance / Georg Solti / LPO
-Bach / Vivaldi: Concerti for Two Violins / Isaac Stern / Pinchas Zukerman / Saint Paul Chamber Orchestra
-Mendelssohn: Octet Op. 20, Quintet Op. 87 / Academy Chamber Orchestra (Academy of St. Martin-in-the-Fields)
-Vivaldi: L'Estro Armonico, Op. 3 / Roberto Michelucci / I Musici
-Bach: The 4 Orchestral Suites, The Violin Concertos / Henryk Szeryng / Maurice Hasson / Neville Marriner / ASMF
-Bach: Concerto for Two Violins in D major, Violin Concertos in A minor and E major / Anne-Sophie Mutter / Salvatore Accardo / English Chamber Orchestra

I'm happy with most of these. The only real disappointment is the last one. The performances are nice, but the sound is some of the worst I've ever heard, with frequent (digital) clipping in louder sections. EMI should be ashamed of themselves for releasing it. The Vivaldi Op. 3 was recorded in 1962-63 but it sounds astonishingly good. Solti's Planets is nice but not the best version I have. Stern and Pinchas make an awesome pair, with rich, gorgeous tone. And ASMF turns in its invariably excellent effort for the remaining two albums, with the Szeryng / Hasson performance of Bach's double concerto ranking as one of the finest I've ever heard.

I've got another six coming, and I'll post those as well when they're all here. Maybe by then I'll devise a way of taking a better picture.

Great stuff.  I want it all on vinyl.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back