Your 5 newest CDs (or LPs)
Aug 9, 2013 at 10:35 PM Post #5,926 of 6,671
Recently bought the Plastic Beach album of Gorillaz on CD.

before, i showed no interest or any like to Plastic Beach..

but giving it a second listen im liking the album... ALOT...

had it ripped to "ALAC" (Apple Lossless Audio Codec) practically Apple's version of FLAC.

Aug 12, 2013 at 10:44 AM Post #5,927 of 6,671
First two vinyl, next two CDs, and the last one a digital download.

Nick Drake - Five Leaves Left [deluxe edition 180g vinyl with download code for 96kHz/24bit FLAC and 320kbps MP3 for a version dubbed from an original vinyl pressing]

Deafheaven - Sunbather [colored vinyl; first disc is pink, second yellow]
http://deafheavens.bandcamp.com/album/sunbather

Bobby Hutcherson - Happenings [Rudy Van Gelder edition]

Circus-P - Lucid (Special Edition) + CUPCAKE -EP [physical 2-disc set limited to 90 copies]
http://circus-p.bandcamp.com/album/cupcake-ep

theStark - ////
http://thestark.bandcamp.com/album/-

Drake's debut is one of my all-time favorites so I absolutely had to have the new vinyl pressing. It sounds absolutely gorgeous. Highly recommended and comes with a high resolution download. I had to do some googling to find a program to convert the FLAC files to uncompressed PCM, though, because I don't use FLAC. Then converted the files to ALAC in iTunes.

Deafheaven arrived today and I haven't taken the time to listen to it yet. Hopefully it sounds better than the CD, which on my 803s only sounds good when listened to at levels that literally make my ears hurt. I'm not understandably a fan of that, so hopefully the vinyl is the remedy I seek. If not, at least the discs are pretty to look at.

"Happenings" I already own an audiophile vinyl copy of, but I wanted to have a digital version for my computer and portable listening and when I ran into a copy at my local record store it was a no-brainer to grab it for the price of eight euros new and sealed. Some of at least the earlier Rudy Van Gelder editions from the early '00s sound quite awful and are really compressed but some of the later ones have been better at least in my experience. Haven't listened to this one yet, but regardless of what the quality is I already have the phenomenal 45rpm 2-disc set mastered by Kevin Gray and Steve Hoffman, so it doesn't really matter all that much.

"Lucid" is one of my favorite albums from the past few years and when I learned it would be made available on CD it was literally a dream come true for me. I'm still waiting for my copy to arrive in the mail but in the meantime I've been enjoying the immediate digital download of CUPCAKE -EP that came with the purchase. There are some really good tracks on it.

I don't believe I've ever been introduced to an artist before in the way of them contacting me and recommending their own music to me. Well that is what happened to me with theStark, who contacted me via Facebook after noticing my Bandcamp fan profile when it was featured on their front page in the Fan Spotlight section two weeks ago. He started following me on Bandcamp along with something like twenty other people that week and sent me a message saying I might like some of the stuff he's made. I told him I would check out his output and this week I finally got around to doing that, and at least based on listening to excerpts of some of the tracks on his latest release "////", consisting of previously unreleased stuff that wouldn't fit musically with his earlier projects, it seemed interesting enough to download. I did donate a nominal amount of money as well as a gesture of appreciation. Yeah, since I didn't mention it already, his music is available for free, but donations are welcome and all sales through August 23 will be donated to a good cause. I haven't taken the time to listen to the album yet so I can't say if I would recommend it or not, but feel free to check out the guy's music for yourself if you're interested.

Update
I just finished listening to the Sunbather LP and it sounds beautiful! Exactly what I didn't even dare to hope for. When I dropped the needle on side A everything sounded weird at first, but then I realized my speed setting had to be wrong, and indeed the discs are actually 45s even if I couldn't find a mention of it on them. Even though I've heard the album a half a dozen times prior to the LP, this was the first time I was able to enjoy it to its fullest. The mastering on the digital version has always made me feel detached from the music but with the vinyl I was finally able to follow the songs better without everything sounding like a big mush even though the wall-of-sound feel is clearly an intentional part of the mix. I think the album works better on vinyl even if the sound is left out of the equation. Each of the four sides has been clearly designed as its own unit and I think the sequencing works better with you having to take a moment to change sides after each section/movement. The beginning of each side starts so differently than when listening to the songs in a row on CD when each side begins after a moment of silence and your ears have had a moment to rest.

Aug 12, 2013 at 8:25 PM Post #5,928 of 6,671
Boy some real winners there. Used to have a rega planar 2 (with a nice wood trim) and a Sumiko Premier MMT tonearm that I found in a pawn shop in Austin, TX. Would have loved to get a Hold of that Nick Drake. I only have all his stuff on cd. I used to collect Bobby Hutcherson back then. I had every Album (I had the cds) he put out in the 60's and all of his work as a sideman too. Collected Herbie too but again in the 60's only. The complete Bluenote box made Hherrbies Lead stuff easy but some of his sideman stuff was tuff to track down then. Some very nice stuff there! Congrats.
regards
jeff

Aug 12, 2013 at 10:17 PM Post #5,929 of 6,671
Keb' Mo' - The Door SACD
Di Meola/McLaughlin/DeLucia - Friday Night in San Francisco SACD
Mark Knopfler - Sailing to Philadelphia DVD-Audio
Pink Floyd - Atom Heart Mother MFSL CD
Traffic - The Low Spark of High Heeled Boys MFSL CD

Aug 14, 2013 at 10:35 PM Post #5,930 of 6,671
So I think I may have gone a bit j/kpop crazy...

Supercell - Today is A Beautiful
F(x) - Electric Shock
Girls Generation - Gee
Girls Generation - The Boys
Younha - Go! Younha
Younha - Lost in Love
Younha - Growing Season part B
Younha - Just Listen

Aug 15, 2013 at 7:02 PM Post #5,933 of 6,671
Aug 16, 2013 at 1:26 AM Post #5,936 of 6,671
Quote:
So I think I may have gone a bit j/kpop crazy...

Supercell - Today is A Beautiful
F(x) - Electric Shock
Girls Generation - Gee
Girls Generation - The Boys
Younha - Go! Younha
Younha - Lost in Love
Younha - Growing Season part B
Younha - Just Listen

Nice choices! Today is a Beautiful Day is seriously one of my favorite albums of all time! Now if only Japanese CDs weren't so expensive... 

Aug 16, 2013 at 8:17 PM Post #5,938 of 6,671
This was too epic of a mail arrival to wait for 3 more LP's

Aug 16, 2013 at 10:19 PM Post #5,939 of 6,671
Today I picked up Daft Punk - Discovery on the recommendation of this forum.  Also grabbed an assortment of other stuff.  Don't laugh at me. :p

Rihanna - Unapologetic
Pink - Funhouse
Craig Campbell - No Regrets

And tomorrow the latest George Strait (Love is Everything) is coming with my headphones and amp. :)

Aug 17, 2013 at 7:16 AM Post #5,940 of 6,671
Don Cherry - "Mu" Second Part, Actuel, 1969, LP

Bill Orcutt - How the Thing Sings, Editions Mego, 2011

Jim O'Rourke - Old News #8, Editions Mego, 2012, 2 LPs

Miles Davis Quintet - The Bootleg Series Vol. 2 : Live in Europe 1969, Columbia / Legacy

Jack Nitzsche - One Flew Over the Coocoo's Nest, Fantasy

Users who are viewing this thread

Back