Apr 16, 2013 at 8:20 PM Post #5,641 of 6,671
Quote:

Five fantastic 2013 albums:

Nails: Abandon All Life
Kvelertak: Meir
The Knife: Shaking the Habitual
James Blake: Overgrown
Kurt Vile: Wakin on a Pretty Daze

Based on nothing but your favourite 10 albums and the album art, I'm pretty sure I need to hear this!

Apr 16, 2013 at 10:56 PM Post #5,642 of 6,671
Lol. Just note that it's nothing like any of my top ten albums. I'd say it's blackened hardcore punk with a good old-school hard rock edge. Definitely worth checking out. 

By the way, the artist is John Baizley--he's also the front-man for the sludge metal/heavy psych band Baroness--well worth checking out if that's the sort of music that trips your trigger and you haven't encountered it already.
Quote:

Based on nothing but your favourite 10 albums and the album art, I'm pretty sure I need to hear this!

Apr 16, 2013 at 11:49 PM Post #5,643 of 6,671
You can definitely tell when he has a hand in it. The amazing cover art always gives it away.

Quote:
Lol. Just note that it's nothing like any of my top ten albums. I'd say it's blackened hardcore punk with a good old-school hard rock edge. Definitely worth checking out. 

By the way, the artist is John Baizley--he's also the front-man for the sludge metal/heavy psych band Baroness--well worth checking out if that's the sort of music that trips your trigger and you haven't encountered it already.

Apr 17, 2013 at 7:58 AM Post #5,644 of 6,671
Quote:

Quote:
You can definitely tell when he has a hand in it. The amazing cover art always gives it away.

I have Baroness' "Blue" album and enjoy it when I'm in the mood! I'm very old though and don't follow much modern metal...

Apr 17, 2013 at 10:47 AM Post #5,645 of 6,671
Have you tried Red or Yellow & Green? I was initially a little disappointed with Yellow & Green because it's not metal, but once I got past that I had fun with it. It's a good heavy rock record.
Quote:

I have Baroness' "Blue" album and enjoy it when I'm in the mood! I'm very old though and don't follow much modern metal...

Apr 17, 2013 at 11:44 AM Post #5,646 of 6,671
Not yet but I'll take that as a recomendation as I've often thought they'd make a better rock than metal band!

Apr 18, 2013 at 11:14 AM Post #5,647 of 6,671
Got some new from the used CD shop:
Soul Bossa Trio - In Native
Soul Bossa Trio - Dancing In The Street
...it is a pitty: both are compressed to death!

John Coltrane - Blue Train
...fine Jazz!

Ottmar Liebert - Up Close

...I am a fan of Flamenco anyway. But this binaural recording is real fun!

I got the Sonny Rollins - Vol.2 ...just to partner my old Joe Jackson -Body And Soul

Apr 18, 2013 at 7:26 PM Post #5,648 of 6,671
Quote:
Got some new from the used CD shop:

Soul Bossa Trio - In Native

Soul Bossa Trio - Dancing In The Street
...it is a pitty: both are compressed to death!

John Coltrane - Blue Train
...fine Jazz!

Ottmar Liebert - Up Close

...I am a fan of Flamenco anyway. But this binaural recording is real fun!

I got the Sonny Rollins - Vol.2 ...just to partner my old Joe Jackson -Body And Soul

Mmmmm...this got me re-listening, and then onto another few 1958 jazz albums (Cannonball, Art Blakey, Sonny Clark). Some great, cool, confident and perhaps somewhat naive jazz made that year, not knowing that 1959 was going to pretty much change everything.

(love that Joe Jackson LP too - introduced to it via "Cha Cha Loco" being used in an audiophile sampler disc - Linn perhaps?)

Apr 19, 2013 at 11:02 AM Post #5,650 of 6,671
Peter Gabriel - Red Rain (7" Single)
Peter Gabriel - Big Time (7" Single)
Powerman 5000 - Tonight the Stars Revolt (CD)
Sound City Soundtrack (LP + BluRay Combo)
Acadia Strain - Death is the Only Mortal (Clear Vinyl)
Elvis Costello - My Aim is True (Mofi)

Apr 19, 2013 at 12:45 PM Post #5,651 of 6,671
Quote:
Peter Gabriel - Red Rain (7" Single)
Peter Gabriel - Big Time (7" Single)
Powerman 5000 - Tonight the Stars Revolt (CD)
Sound City Soundtrack (LP + BluRay Combo)
Acadia Strain - Death is the Only Mortal (Clear Vinyl)
Elvis Costello - My Aim is True (Mofi)

Love this album. Almost bought the MoFi release a few weeks ago, and every time I return to the record store it calls out to me.
That and Costello's Delivery Man are on my short list. Trying to save some money for tomorrow (RSD) :)

Apr 19, 2013 at 1:16 PM Post #5,652 of 6,671
I woulda bought more, but I'm also about to blow my wallet on RSD tomorrow. Already have my list ready to go. Know exactly which releases I want.

I now have My Aim is True on MoFi and an American pressing of Armed Forces. I'd really like to get the MoFi Armed Forces as well because it uses the UK art which is about a billion times better than the US art.

Quote:

Love this album. Almost bought the MoFi release a few weeks ago, and every time I return to the record store it calls out to me.
That and Costello's Delivery Man are on my short list. Trying to save some money for tomorrow (RSD) :)

Apr 19, 2013 at 1:41 PM Post #5,653 of 6,671
It is certainly tough shaving down a want-list down to the "essentials."
In the process of trying to lessen the potential financial blow i'll take tomorrow by whittling my list down before I get there.

Apr 19, 2013 at 1:57 PM Post #5,654 of 6,671
1. R.E.M. - Part Lies, Part Heart, Part Truth, Part Garbage, 1982 - 2011 (CD)
2. The Darkness - The Platinum Collection (CD)
3. Nirvana - Nirvana (CD)
4. Led Zeppelin - Remasters (2 CD)
5. AC/DC - Black Ice (CD)

Apr 19, 2013 at 2:47 PM Post #5,655 of 6,671
I've honestly got it down as much as I can...At this point I'm going to have to grab everything, see official prices and make the really tough cuts. Here's my list.

* All That Remains - The Fall of Ideals
* Blind Melon - Blind Melon + Sipping Time EP
Flaming Lips - Zaireeka
Linkin Park - Hybrid Theory
* Sly & The Family Stone - I Want to Take You Higher
* Dazed & Confused Soundtrack
* Dave Brubeck Trio - Distinctive Rhythm Instrumentals
* Notorious BIG - Ready to Die
* White Stripes - Elephant (10th Anniversary)
The Roots - Things Fall Apart
Lamb of God - New American Gospel

* = Must buy. There's a few 7" not listed.

Quote:
It is certainly tough shaving down a want-list down to the "essentials."
In the process of trying to lessen the potential financial blow i'll take tomorrow by whittling my list down before I get there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back