Jethro Tull - Aqualung
Lasting Weep - Le Spectacle De L'Albatros
William Parker -  O'Neal's Porch
Shadowfax - Shadowdance 
The Manhattan Transfer - Brasil 
Steve Eliovson & Collin Walcott - Dawn Dance
Unleashed - Odalheim 

May 24, 2012 at 10:14 AM Post #4,926 of 6,671
I discovered Vocaloid exactly two weeks ago an have bought a lot of stuff on iTunes after that, which I don't usually do since I much prefer CDs and other physical formats. I don't even like the fact that iTunes still doesn't offer their music in lossless quality, but I do think that 256kbps AAC is good enough for the price they are asking for most of the releases. When I say this I'm referring to albums that are in the price range of 5€ (which probably $5 in the American iTunes). When the price is closer to 10€, however, I really start to expect lossless files since I'm not getting a booklet, the actual disc nor a CD case, but I'm paying an amount that's comparable to the price of a physical release. I'd at least expect to receive a hi-res image containing the album artwork, but no. Anyway, I didn't mean to rant about iTunes. The files they sell usually sound really good but when a reasonably new service like Bandcamp for example does a better job at making both the artist and the consumer happy there's clearly room for improvement.

What I intended to convey, is that I haven't made very many digital purchases in the past, so for me to buy this much is unheard of. My only defense is that a lot of these would either be very difficult or expensive to obtain in physical form, or in many cases there has never even been a physical release so digital files are the only option to begin with. I understand that some of the music I've bought as downloads are (at least currently) somewhat esoteric, but I beginning to fear that in the years to come this will slowly become the norm and more and more releases will have the digital version as the main release and the physical release will be a "limited/special edition".

Moving on to the actual music I've bought. Those who are not familiar with Vocaloid might want to check the the Wikipedia page for it, but I'd recommend going to YouTube and searching for either "Vocaloid" or "Hatsune Miku" (without the quotes, although you'll get results with them, just possibly a little less). The word Vocaloid currently returns me close to 180k and Hatsune Miku around 90k results, which should be enough to satisfy anyone's curiosity. The complete list of my purchases is below with the EPs and singles included after the albums (to satisfy my desire/need to be through). I've been pretty loose with the distinction between an album and an EP, and I don't even want to think what on earth might be the difference between a mini album and an EP. I normally don't see the point of singles and ESs but in this case at least they've turned out to be well worth exploring. Oh, and two of the releases on the list are non-Vocaloid albums, but I leave it up to the Vocaloid aficionados to entertain themselves by spotting them (probably not that hard really).

Albums

36g - The Raingazer's Song
AVTechNO! - Core | AVTechNO↑
AVTechNO! + Saiya - AS
Babuchan - The Epilogue of World
bonoris - mugen no tsuki
Clean Tears - Hane Ito | Artificial Rainbow | Sonorous
Electrocutica - RE:CYCLE
Hikarisyuyo - Cynicism | Centralia | Amberoid
Hiroyuki ODA - Thirty
JevanniP - Mind of Rin
kiichi - Yashima Unite
millstones - Twilightholic
monaca:factory - Latimeria Will Dream
North-T - Interlude
Phoenix Project - Forest, Refrain
pinocchioP - Poncotsu
Re:nG - Period 1
river - Rhythm Symphony
Shun - STYLE.TUNE
SOSOSO (Tsukui Kazuhito) - World Breakout | Reboot
TinySymphony - Liberator
Toraboruta - Torabotic Tune
uniMemo - A Dagger and a Venturer's Clothes
Various artists - VocaRock Collection | EX:p2 ~Ex:producers2~
Vocalotus - Spinning Lotus
wowaka - Unhappy Refrain
Yuni - Paradox Girl
ブンガP - Umoremix Online | Flowers
匿名希望の東京都在住 - Virtual Songs

EPs and singles

Atols - Babel | Omega
AVTechNO! - I Love Loop Tanchou | Fuyu no Sakura | E-ROiRO | KIMIyoMIKUnoNOZOMInoYOROKOBIwo | Nelnelnel | SouZou | For Example | Free | Nihongo wo renshuuchuu no megurine luka ga hananokawori wo renshuuchuu | Abeken no nichiyoubi no asa | Six Under UG | Sixnine | CABA | Contradiction | Feminity "real me" | C | KVLR | Kimi no Sobani / Sakura | Kimi no Sobani | Encryption - D | Plus/Space | Draw the Emotional * AVTechNO! | Mujitsu | Lust Doll | Cryonics | tear | Hatsune Miku TEAR | 8sec
Clean Tears - Sakuradayori | Set Digital | Kaede -ver.2.0 | To Be Style
effe - sss
Electrocutica - ARCA | Aquila
HSP - Incarnation | The Endless Love
kiichi - Inquisitor Girl VS The Youth Killer
m@rk - Tautology
millstones - Kagaribito
Minatsuki Toka - Silent Dloc
SOSOSO (Tsukui Kazuhito) - Sunspot Cycle
Taishi - There
tokuP - SPiCa
Vocalotus - A Song of Morning Glory
るなちゅ - Silent Rain

My next post in this thread will contain just CDs; I promise. And I haven't stopped listening to all the other types of music. I still listen to black metal, followed by some free jazz, followed by modern classical, followed by some indie video game music, followed by progressive rock from the '70s, followed by some soul, followed by slugde metal, and so on, and so on... Now I just feel like I might some day be able to add pop music on that list. That might never actually happen, but it's at least theoretically possible now. In addition, I think Vocaloid has made me wanna sample some trance music... Oooh boy. Music, a never-ending spiral.

May 24, 2012 at 11:07 PM Post #4,927 of 6,671
I'm in Florida for vacation this week. I went to FYE where someone traded in 800 old CDs so he could get the "new and better versions". I've never seen so many smooth sided cases in my life. His loss ,my gain.

The Who - "Who Are You" Japan for US
The Who - "The Who By Numbers" Japan for US
Steely Dan - "Can't Buy a Thrill" Japan for US
Crosby, Stills & Nash - "CSN" West German Press
The Moody Blues - "To Our Children's, Children's, Children" West German Press
David Bowie - "Tonight" Japan for US
The Cars - "Panorama"
Dire Straits - "Communique" Japan Target
Dire Straits - "Love Over Gold" Japan Target
Queen - "News of the World" West German Target
Queen - "The Game" West German Target
Madonna - "Madonna" Japan Target

May 24, 2012 at 11:48 PM Post #4,928 of 6,671
The Cars - Candy-O
Otis Redding - The Dock of the Bay
Europe - The Final Countdown
Red Hot Chili Peppers - Blood Sugar Sex Magik
Lynyrd Skynyrd - Second Helping
Dream Theater - A Dramatic Turn of Events
America - America
Radiohead - Ok Computer
Alice In Chains - Dirt
Asia - Asia
Pendulum - Hold Your Colour (2007)
Gotye - Making Mirrors
Five Finger Death Punch - American Capitalist
Michael Jackson - Thriller
Jack White - Blunderbuss
Foreigner - 4
Cee Lo - Cee Lo Green Is...The Soul Machine
Rush - Presto

These are all CDs. Lots of ripping going on.

May 24, 2012 at 11:57 PM Post #4,929 of 6,671
Nice list Morbid!

We share a couple of recent purchases .....

Dream Theater - A Dramatic Turn Of Events
Ed Sheeran - +
Gotye - Making Mirrors
Kimbra - Vows
Mark Knopfler - Sailing to Philadelphia
Porcupine Tree - Voyage 34
Roger Waters - In The Flesh
Roger Waters - Amused To Death
Steven Wilson - Grace For Drowning
Storm Corrosion - Storm Corrosion

May 25, 2012 at 6:18 PM Post #4,930 of 6,671
Quote:
I'm in Florida for vacation this week. I went to FYE where someone traded in 800 old CDs so he could get the "new and better versions". I've never seen so many smooth sided cases in my life. His loss ,my gain.

I went back today for some more.

Dire Straits - "Brother in Arms" West Germany
REM - "Fables of Reconstruction" Japan for US
Lynyrd Skynyrd - "Street Survivors" West Germany
Lynyrd Skynyrd - "Gimme Back My Bullets" Japan for US
Yes - "90125" West German Target
Talking Heads - "True Stories" Japan for US
Carpenters - "The Singles 69-73" Japan for US
Bruce Springsteen - "Born in the USA" Japan for US
Tom Petter & The Heartbreakers - "You're Gonna Get It" Japan for US Hoffman Master

May 25, 2012 at 7:04 PM Post #4,931 of 6,671
All LP's  1.Joe Walsh------ "Analog Man"      2. Wes Montgomery-------- "Tequila"           3. Norah Jones---------"Little Broken Hearts"      4.Tedeschi Trucks Band--------"Live"     5. FosterthePeople----- Torches

May 27, 2012 at 2:51 AM Post #4,932 of 6,671
"Imaginaerum"-Nightwish
"Dark Side of the Moon"-Pink Floyd
"Oracular Spectacular"-MGMT
"The Lost Children"-Disturbed
"Era Extrana" -Neon Indian
"Under My Skin"-Avril Lavigne

Now sue me, yes I like Avril Lavigne.
tongue_smile.gif
  Neon Indian was a gift from a close friend and it is alright, something new is always good.  The others (excluding Distrubed) are some of my favorites.  Don't get me wrong, I enjoy the old Disturbed.  This new Disturbed is disturbing.  I can't believe how mainstream they have become..

May 27, 2012 at 10:43 AM Post #4,933 of 6,671
So you don't like The Lost Children tracks?

I haven't heard it yet, but I really enjoyed Indestructible and their latest album Asylum. Worst for me were Believe and Ten Thousand Fists. The Sickness was of course the height of their career.

Actually got in my vinyl collection the other day. Excited to hear it as I've heard the dynamic range is much better with this release.

Quote:
"Imaginaerum"-Nightwish
"Dark Side of the Moon"-Pink Floyd
"Oracular Spectacular"-MGMT
"The Lost Children"-Disturbed
"Era Extrana" -Neon Indian
"Under My Skin"-Avril Lavigne

Now sue me, yes I like Avril Lavigne.
tongue_smile.gif
  Neon Indian was a gift from a close friend and it is alright, something new is always good.  The others (excluding Distrubed) are some of my favorites.  Don't get me wrong, I enjoy the old Disturbed.  This new Disturbed is disturbing.  I can't believe how mainstream they have become..

May 28, 2012 at 4:16 AM Post #4,935 of 6,671
Quote:
So you don't like The Lost Children tracks?

I haven't heard it yet, but I really enjoyed Indestructible and their latest album Asylum. Worst for me were Believe and Ten Thousand Fists. The Sickness was of course the height of their career.

Actually got in my vinyl collection the other day. Excited to hear it as I've heard the dynamic range is much better with this release.

Lol, honestly I enjoyed everything up to "Indestructible", 'Liberate' ("Believe") is one of my favorite songs from them.  I haven't heard "Asylum" in it's entirety, so I wouldn't find it fair to compare the two yet.  However, I am starting to listen to "The Lost Children" more and I have found myself enjoying both 'This Moment' and 'Old Friend' a lot.  I guess I jumped to a quick conclusion without giving the album much of a chance. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back