Your 5 newest CDs (or LPs)
Mar 5, 2012 at 3:15 PM Post #4,801 of 6,671
Simon & Garfunkel - Collector's Edition LP (Sounds of Silence, Bookends & Bridge over Troubled Water)
Alison Krauss - Paper Airplane CD
Ane Brun - It All Starts With One CD
Ani DiFranco - Which Side Are You On? CD
Warren Zevon - The Wind CD

Can you still buy that S&G collection? If so, where?

Mar 5, 2012 at 4:26 PM Post #4,802 of 6,671
I almost never post on head-fi, but I really like music more than audio equipment so this seems like a fitting place to start talking.  So what the hell, right?

Well more than 5 CDs, so I'll break it into more than one post:

Björk - Biophilia.  I really wasn't a fan of Volta so I was a bit hesitant to get this, but I'm really, really glad I did.  A return to form and as far as I'm concerned her best yet.

Radiohead - King of Limbs.  After a few spins I've not gotten into this one yet. I haven't given up hope yet, though.

PJ Harvey - Let England Shake.  When I was a bit younger I used to really love PJ Harvey's aggressive, poetic lyrics and her raw sound, but lately it's just sounded a bit adolescent and angst-ridden for me.  This is completely different from her older stuff, but seems like an evolution and in that way is unsurprising.  I'm really liking this one.

Lightning Bolt - Earthly Delights.  Really wasn't a fan of Hypermagic Mountain, but really love Ride the Skies and especially Wonderful Rainbow.  This one's not quite as good as WR, but composition-wise it's a lot better than HM.  Plus the recording/production values seem a lot better than their earlier stuff.

Lightning Bolt - Lightning Bolt (aka, "The Yellow Album").  I haven't listened to it the whole way through yet, and not sure I will.  It just seemed like I should have it since I have all their newer albums.  Maybe one day.

Mar 5, 2012 at 4:28 PM Post #4,803 of 6,671

Mekons - I Have Been to Heaven and Back: Hen's Teeth and Other Lost Fragments of Unpopular Culture Vol. 1.  Never heard much of the Mekons before and this is a bunch of b-sides-- so probably not entirely representative of their albums-- but I've been enjoying it, some of older tracks very much so.

Black Moth Super Rainbow - Falling Through a Field.  The one CD I've bought recently that I have no interest in hearing again.

Cornelius - Point.  Loved Fantasma and love this even more.  The production values seem out of this world.  Listening to this on my HDP and HD650s is an absolutely otherwordly experience

Wagon Christ - Toomorrow.  Fun, but not as good as Vibert's foray as Plug, in my opinion.  "Foray"?  That's not the right word.

The Orb - Orblivion.  God, I haven't heard this since I was 18 (when it had just come out!) and I completely forgot what it was like.  Quite enjoyable.

Mar 5, 2012 at 4:29 PM Post #4,804 of 6,671
Mouse on Mars - Iaori Tahiti.  Only listened to this one once, but I liked what I heard.  I'll definitely give this another go.

Caribou - Yeti (EP).  Not my favorite of my recent acquisitions, but still good.  Plus it's only 15 minutes.

Neu! - Neu!  Haven't actually listened to this one yet.

The Magnetic Fields - The Charm of the Highway Strip.  Haven't listened to this one either, but I enjoyed i, so thought I would give it a go.

...Plus a bunch of jazz and a handful of blues prior to these.  I don't just listen to electronic and experimental, I swear!

I must have been feeling lonely since my girlfriend is away.  I'll stop prattling now, I promise.

Mar 5, 2012 at 11:44 PM Post #4,805 of 6,671
Howler - America Give Up
Of Mice & Men - The Flood
Mackelmore - The VS. EP
Robert Johnson - The King of Delta Blues
Sleeping With Sirens - Let's Cheers To This

I listen to a wide variety of music, lately I've been getting into undergroup Hip-Hop, Indie and the usual Hardcore/Post-Hardcore

Mar 6, 2012 at 5:50 PM Post #4,807 of 6,671
Howler - America Give Up
Of Mice & Men - The Flood
Mackelmore - The VS. EP
Robert Johnson - The King of Delta Blues
Sleeping With Sirens - Let's Cheers To This

I listen to a wide variety of music, lately I've been getting into undergroup Hip-Hop, Indie and the usual Hardcore/Post-Hardcore

Lately I've been listening to a lot of Robert Johnson (as well as Blind Lemon Jefferson, Lighnin' Hopkins, Son House, etc.) and I can't believe I haven't been listening to it all these years. No wonder it was so influential to future musicians. So simple but so sublime.

Mar 6, 2012 at 5:54 PM Post #4,808 of 6,671
People Take Warning - Murder Ballads and Disaster Songs, 1913-1938
Rusty Dedrick - Salute to Bunny 

And since the write up here finally got to me:
Isaac Hayes - Hot Buttered Soul (Remastered)

Mar 6, 2012 at 6:32 PM Post #4,809 of 6,671
Lot of upcoming SACD releases that are gonna drain my wallet even more:

Billy Joel - The Stranger (MoFi) (excited about this one!)

plus some Ray Charles which I have never owned any of his music: The Genius of Ray Charles, The Genius Sings the Blues, Ray Charles and Betty Carter, Genius + Soul = Jazz, and Live in Concert (actually got the privilege to attend one of his shows in 2001 or 2002, blew my mind, that's when I understood the praise :D )

rest are Japanese SHM (ouch!):

Dire Straits - Making Movies, Communique, Alchemy (also Brothers In Arms but I already have that on SACD, :mad: )
Queen - Jazz, The Game, The Works

/shakes fist, ears await :wink:

Mar 6, 2012 at 6:33 PM Post #4,810 of 6,671

Quote:
Lately I've been listening to a lot of Robert Johnson (as well as Blind Lemon Jefferson, Lighnin' Hopkins, Son House, etc.) and I can't believe I haven't been listening to it all these years. No wonder it was so influential to future musicians. So simple but so sublime.

I completely agree, great music. I always use to hear all these artists quoting them as incredibly influential, and finally, I started listening. Now I know why they spawned an era of music.

Mar 7, 2012 at 4:07 AM Post #4,811 of 6,671
For this month of March 2012, I ordered these CDs:

Madonna M.D.N.A. Deluxe edition
Bruce Springsteen Wrecking Ball Special Edition
Renee Fleming Poemes
Joshua Bell French Impressions
Hilary Hahn Spectacular 3 CD album

Mar 7, 2012 at 9:01 AM Post #4,812 of 6,671
The Cars - Candy-O [Mobile Fidelity Sound Lab]
Crosby, Stills & Nash - Crosby, Stills & Nash [Audio Fidelity]
Foo Fighters - Wasting Light
Jean Michel Jarre - Équinoxe
Opeth - Heritage [CD+DVD]

Mar 7, 2012 at 3:15 PM Post #4,814 of 6,671

41AK8DK308L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Mar 10, 2012 at 1:10 AM Post #4,815 of 6,671
Mostly Shakira, as of late.

-"Sale el Sol"

-"She Wolf"

-"Oral Fixation Vol. 1"

-"Oral Fixation Vol. 2"

The other one I got (which has Shakira's "Waka Waka:  This Time For Africa") is a compilation called "Listen Up!  The Official South Africa 2010 Album".

More:

-"The Hunter" by Mastodon

-"Octavarium" by Dream Theater

-"Made In Germany" by Rammstein

-"Beyond Magnetic" by Metallica

-"Allegiance" by As Blood Runs Black

I think that's it for now.  :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back