Global Communication - 76:14
Sigur Ros - Takk
FSOL - Dead Cities
Eva Cassidy - Songbird
Jerry Douglas - Slide Rule

Nov 19, 2005 at 1:49 AM Post #1,277 of 6,671
Quote:

Originally Posted by Davey
Is this gonna be your intro to Dead Can Dance? They musta just put that collection out to capitalize on the recent reunion tour since it seems kind of redundant. The "Into The Labyrinth" CD was one of those impulse buys for me, way back in the early 90s, just wandering around the CD store looking for something to buy, and it just kind of spoke to me. Hadn't read anything about it but bought it and took it home and got blown away. It was their first release in the US I believe. Looks like that collection pulls pretty heavily from it. Is is one of their best, and definitely has some of their best songs, but they kind of lost it after that and the final album was really kind of pointless, although it has incredibly good sound quality, so is still fun from that standpoint. I wound up getting each of those last two on both CD and vinyl. "Within the Realm of a Dying Sun" is probably their real pinnacle for me, though. Love that title. Or maybe "Aion". Perfect music for this season, except here in NoCal it's still like summer right now!

Keep me posted on how you like some of those purchases. Sometimes I feel kind of guilty when I see someone actually buying an album that I've talked a lot about, like one of those David Kilgour records or GvsB, because I know it can probably never mean as much to someone else approaching it from a totally different timeframe and context. But on the other hand, it's also a blast to see someone actually take a chance on something I like enough to post about here
wink.gif

I added the Boubacar Traore CD to my list too, except I was gonna get one of the earlier recommended ones from the World Music thread. What led you to get that new one? Did you know of him already?

It's definitely not summer here as of today. I have listened casually to Dead Can Dance before and honestly I have never been wildly impressed. I decided that I needed to have something by them in my collection. I thought that they may be one of those bands that you have to spend some time with. I know that you know that kind of band.

I loved GVSB "Venus Luxure No. 1 Baby," [which I bought on your recommendation...] so I thought that I would give "House of GVSB" a try. Just came yesterday and I haven't listened to it yet. I thought that there was a good chance that I wouldn't like David Kilgour "Frozen Orange." [...didn't you post somewhere that "Frozen Orange" was the perfect Sunday morning music? (or am I getting posts/review mixed-up?)] However, the description at your mini-review website sounded so interesting that I thought that I would give it a try. I listened to it yesterday and I absolutely love it! I don't quite know why yet, it's familiar but different.

I bought "Macire" based on an enthusiastic recommendation at Head-Fi. I really liked it, so I got the newest disc by Boubacar Traore. I have yet to listen to it but I'll let you know. November's new music will keep me busy for awhile. I'm starting to compile the Christmas list as I type!

PS You have turned me onto so much great music that any guilt is unfounded. I "DJ" now and then at social gatherings of friends, and many times I have been asked, "Where do you find this music?" I say "Davey @Head-Fi.com." Seriously! Believe me, you have no idea how many people you don't know, know you...
biggrin.gif

Nov 19, 2005 at 6:36 PM Post #1,279 of 6,671
bjork - gling glo, vespertine, homogenic, debut, selma songs
all on vinyl
best present ever
biggrin.gif

also
radiohead - anmesiac limited edition
city on film/american diary - split
diverse - explosive single
common - electric circus
at the drive-in - vaya

Nov 19, 2005 at 8:30 PM Post #1,281 of 6,671
Got these yesterday:
Stina Nordenstam - The World Is Saved
Bright Eyes - Fevers And Mirrors
Outkast Speakerboxxx/Love Below
Viola - Melancholydisco
Kid Koala - Some Of My Best Friends Are DJ's
Tamla Motown Gold 3cd-set
Walls Of Jericho - All Hail The Dead

Nov 20, 2005 at 12:24 AM Post #1,282 of 6,671
Quote:

Originally Posted by Thinduke
Got these yesterday:
Stina Nordenstam - The World Is Saved
Bright Eyes - Fevers And Mirrors
Outkast Speakerboxxx/Love Below
Viola - Melancholydisco
Kid Koala - Some Of My Best Friends Are DJ's
Tamla Motown Gold 3cd-set
Walls Of Jericho - All Hail The Dead

Hey Thinduke, do you know much about Denmark artists? Yeah, I know, there's a country in between called Sweden, but thought it was worth a shot. I've heard some about an ensemble called Under Byen that sounds really cool. I even bookmarked their website at one time to check out further but their stuff is hard to find. Any opinions? I found some samples way back and liked it a lot. There's a nice review at Rolling Stone for their "Det er Mig der Holder Traeerne Sammen" album that goes like this ...

Their name is Danish for "Under the City." And here's the English translation of the album's title: It's Me Who Keeps the Trees Together. Thanks to the language barrier, that's nearly all I can tell you about my favorite new band and record of this year -- except that when I saw this remarkable eight-piece group from Arhus, Denmark at a music festival there in May, I was left speaking in tongues. With an eccentric armory of strings and keys (violin, cello, Wurlitzer organ, melodica), fronted by the haunted whoops and whispers of vocalist Henriette Sennenveldt, Under Byen make a beguiling dance music of pillowy beats and voluptuous shadows, with finely blurred echoes of British trip-hop, Björk's elfin romanticism and the ice-floe rock of Sigúr Ros. http://www.rollingstone.com/news/story/_/id/5934033

Nov 23, 2005 at 2:58 AM Post #1,284 of 6,671
Nothing earth-shattering, but today I went to Best Buy to get a DVD and found that they had a CD section called "20th Century Masters". The CDs were "hits" collections of various artists and they were on sale for $5.99. I bought: Lynard Skynard, Bachman-Turner Overdrive, Styx, Three Dog Night, and .38 Special. Pretty exciting stuff for this classic rock lover.

Nov 23, 2005 at 4:38 AM Post #1,287 of 6,671
Miles Davis - Kind Of Blue
Miles Davis - Bitches Brew
Miles Davis - Man With The Horn
Pink Floyd - Animals
Pink Floyd - Saucer Full Of Secrets

Just had to fill in these missing albums today from "the collection"

Nov 23, 2005 at 7:03 AM Post #1,288 of 6,671
And now I have to add Fiona Apple's "Extraordinary Machine" (Dual disc -DVDA and standard CD).

Nov 23, 2005 at 7:50 AM Post #1,289 of 6,671
My new best live CD: Bill Bruford and Michiel Boorslap (sp) Every Step a Dance, Every word a Song...or viceversa,,,its late and i cant remember.
biggrin.gif

Latest Earthworks CD

Richard Thompson's Front Parlour Ballads...simply awesome!!! CD and LP

:ast Steve Hackett and Orchestra CD....great sound and playing..very special./

Some Old Telefunken LP in mono,,,,,Palestrina music which amazingly didnt bore me to tears....and great production...

Nov 23, 2005 at 9:05 AM Post #1,290 of 6,671
Jacintha - Love Flows Like A River Hybrid SACD
John Coltrane - Blue Train Hybrid SACD
Oscars Motettkör / Torsten Nilsson - Cantate Domino Hybrid SACD
Jeremy Monteiro Trio - A Song for You, Karen Hybrid SACD

I like the Jacintha one (it's sung in Chinese) and Cantate Domino; haven't really listened to the other two yet, but Jacintha sings some of the songs on "A Song for You, Karen", so maybe I'll give it a listen soon
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back