Your 5 newest CDs (or LPs)
Jul 1, 2013 at 9:13 AM Post #5,866 of 6,671
My local record store finally had Kanye's new album in stock. Excited to hear it, although the album was mastered by Vlado Meller and has a DR value of 4, with some of the tracks going as low as DR 2(!). I wonder how my poor ears can handle that…

Kanye West - Yeezus

While I was at the store I picked up two LPs that had arrived for me. I also picked up a Record Store Day exclusive Sigur Rós double album while I was there.

PJ Harvey - To Bring You My Love

Kraftwerk - The Man-Machine [2009 remaster]

Sigur Rós - Hvarf / Heim [limited edition colored double album]

When I got home I found out that a vinyl I'd ordered online had arrived and could be picked up from my closest post office. When I was adding it to my collection on Rate Your Music I discovered that a total of four different version of the vinyl had been added there, all with the same catalog number. Because I had no idea which version I'd ordered (I assumed it was standard black, but no such version was listed on RYM), I decided to open the shrink wrap and take a look at the discs. Turns out they are clear vinyl, which looks absolutely gorgeous.

Agalloch - Marrow of the Spirit [clear vinyl]

Jul 1, 2013 at 1:26 PM Post #5,867 of 6,671

So far I have only received "The Last In Line" by Dio, and "Love At First Sting" by Scorpions.  I own previous releases of both "The Last In Line" and "Love At First Sting." 

The previous release of "The Last In Line" that I own is not an overly compressed release ruined by the Loudness War.  Instead, it was relatively tame and sounded light and thin.  The Audio Fidelity release definitely is an improvement, as the sound is richer and fuller.  Drums come alive, and the bass experience is much more visceral - as in you can feel it when you should, rather than just hear it.  I like to think that Ronnie James Dio would have loved what Audio Fidelity did with "The Last In Line."

The previous release of "Love At First Sting" that I own is actually pretty good.  No over compression, clipping, irritating buzz, etc.  Also, it sounds pretty robust and alive.  I didn't really feel the need to try out the Audio Fidelity version, but I found it for a good price on Amazon.com, so I decided it would be worth a try.  I was pleasantly surprised!  Again, the music is given a bit more life, and the sound seems less "cluttered" and more open - without losing any of the mids or lows.  I totally dork out and load both versions of "Big City Nights" into Audacity, and switch back and forth between each version.  Again, my earlier release is not bad whatsoever, but the Audio Fidelity difference is a positive and recognizable improvement.

Jul 1, 2013 at 5:35 PM Post #5,868 of 6,671
Ella Fitzgerald & Louis Armstrong - Ella & Louis Again Mofi Double CD

George Harrison - Thirty Three & 1/3

John Hiatt - Two Bit Monsters

Uncle Tupelo - March 16-20, 1992

John Barry - Dances With Wolves Soundtrack SACD

Jul 3, 2013 at 5:26 PM Post #5,870 of 6,671
I only have one purchase to report, but it's one with a lot of importance to me. I finally received the first vinyl I ever purchased in the mail. It's the "MOON EP" by M|O|O|N which I ordered back in April but because of several delays at the factory only received today. The original shipping date was supposed to be May 1st. I was tempted to buy the vinyl by the gorgeous artwork, which I simply wanted to have in physical form. Of course the music is spectacular as well. It was this EP that ultimately inspired me to order a turntable and I'm really looking forward to hearing it on vinyl. The actual sound doesn't matter in this case, it's the unique experience that vinyl offers that I crave.

In addition to the EP the artist sent me a single he'd spotted at a charity shop as a personalized compensation for the long delay in the EP's delivery. For you see, I had mentioned when I ordered the vinyl that I didn't even own a record player at the time and was inspired to order the EP regardless. He thought I could use another great vinyl in my collection. Such a nice guy! I wasn't at all annoyed by the long delay, so I don't feel any kind of additional gift was necessary, but I really appreciate the gesture. I'm kind of semi-obsessed about keeping everything in as good condition as possible so I'm not a person who'd ever buy something used. Still I don't feel at all bad about receiving a record that was purchased used. Some people enjoy used books; their smell and so on. I don't read all that much and I've grown to enjoy reading book on my iPhone, so I don't know if I'm one of those people. Regardless I feel that the fact that the single has been owned by others prior to me adds something to it that cannot be acquired any other way. Like with "MOON EP" I don't really care how the single plays; it's exciting to wonder what kind of person used to own the record, were they the person who originally purchased it, why did they end up selling the record, and so on, and so on.

I highly recommend listening to "MOON EP" on Bandcamp if you have never heard it. If you happen to be interested in the vinyl, I'm sorry but it's a limited edition of 100 and it sold out prior to its intended release date.

M|O|O|N - MOON EP
http://music.musicofthemoon.com/album/moon-ep

LCD Soundsystem - Yeah

Jul 9, 2013 at 11:36 AM Post #5,874 of 6,671
images

220px-PanteraVulgarDisplayofPower.jpg

images

images

dream-theater-six-degrees-of-inner-turbulence-20110802143639.jpg

Jul 9, 2013 at 2:10 PM Post #5,875 of 6,671
Quote:
Got my two first audiophile vinyl reissues yesterday. I'm very impressed with how Elusive Disc had packaged them which almost makes up for the quite high shipping cost. Two albums that I ordered via my local record store also arrived and while fetching them I decided to pick up a few more Burzum albums on vinyl.

Radiohead - In Rainbows

Hey, my friend got this In Rainbows LP and it's in 33 rpm not the 45. The sound got progressively 'wrong' towards the end of each side, like either the treble got dialed down or the bass got dialed up. I compared with their digital and another vinyl rip; the vinyl rip also have the same sound characteristic.

Which is the right sound? The LP or the digital?

Jul 9, 2013 at 2:53 PM Post #5,876 of 6,671
Quote:
Hey, my friend got this In Rainbows LP and it's in 33 rpm not the 45. The sound got progressively 'wrong' towards the end of each side, like either the treble got dialed down or the bass got dialed up. I compared with their digital and another vinyl rip; the vinyl rip also have the same sound characteristic.

Which is the right sound? The LP or the digital?

You'd have to ask Radiohead, LOL. In all seriousness though, I'm still waiting for the dust cover to arrive before I set up my turntable so I haven't had the chance to listen to this album on vinyl yet. Both of the sides of the LP are slightly over 21 minutes long which is still doable but not recommended for best sound. On a 33rpm disc the linear velocity of the disc in relation to the needle drops quite low compared to the outer edges and this causes audible issues known as end-of-side distortion. It is either recommended to keep the sides short on a 33rpm, cut the discs at 45rpm instead for high linear velocity even on the inner parts of the vinyl at the expense of maximum playtime per side, or to have the last track(s) on a side be a quiet one. This is all just things I've read without having any experience in the matter myself. I've heard it said in several places that the end-of-side distortion is perhaps vinyl's biggest single downfall when it comes to sound quality. What you and your friend are hearing might either be something caused by end-of-side distortion or something that was done as a measure to try to counter it. Again, I must state that I'm only guessing with no first-hand experience to offer. I'm still personally excited to hear the album on vinyl regardless.

Jul 9, 2013 at 3:50 PM Post #5,877 of 6,671
Quote:
You'd have to ask Radiohead, LOL. In all seriousness though, I'm still waiting for the dust cover to arrive before I set up my turntable so I haven't had the chance to listen to this album on vinyl yet. Both of the sides of the LP are slightly over 21 minutes long which is still doable but not recommended for best sound. On a 33rpm disc the linear velocity of the disc in relation to the needle drops quite low compared to the outer edges and this causes audible issues known as end-of-side distortion. It is either recommended to keep the sides short on a 33rpm, cut the discs at 45rpm instead for high linear velocity even on the inner parts of the vinyl at the expense of maximum playtime per side, or to have the last track(s) on a side be a quiet one. This is all just things I've read without having any experience in the matter myself. I've heard it said in several places that the end-of-side distortion is perhaps vinyl's biggest single downfall when it comes to sound quality. What you and your friend are hearing might either be something caused by end-of-side distortion or something that was done as a measure to try to counter it. Again, I must state that I'm only guessing with no first-hand experience to offer. I'm still personally excited to hear the album on vinyl regardless.

Ha, it's alright then. Yes the inner parts is almost always prone to distortions especially in "hot" and complex passages (it's called Inner Groove Distortion - IGD for short). But this isn't the case, we highly suspect it is the mastering issue. I almost think the relatively cheap price is because of this sound quality degradation. The record however is a good heavyweight one, if it's not 180g it's probably a 160g.

Alright I shouldn't take too much time talking in a thread about LPs.

Jul 10, 2013 at 4:12 PM Post #5,878 of 6,671
Latest five. The first two are from last week and the other three arrived today. I also received a pack of 100 Japanese resealable Mylar LP outer sleeves to keep my records nice 'n' clean. Subterráneo has my highest recommendation as far as the music goes. It was recorded using equipment from the 50s-70s and the CD version sounds outstanding. I can only imagine that the LP is at least as good if not better.

Pekka Kuusisto & Iiro Rantala - Subterráneo

Jay-Z - The Blueprint

Marvin Gaye - What's Going On [Mobile Fidelity Sound Lab, half-speed mastered]

Grachan Moncur III - Evolution [Music Matters, 45rpm 2 LP]

Pete La Roca - Basra [Music Matters, 45rpm 2 LP]

Jul 17, 2013 at 7:57 AM Post #5,880 of 6,671

Lamb of God - Ashes of the Wake

The National - Boxer

Tori Amos - Under the Pink [limited edition numbered pink vinyl]

Horace Silver - The Cape Verdean Blues [Music Matters, limited edition 45rpm 2 LP]

Wayne Shorter - Juju [Music Matters, limited edition 45rpm 2 LP]

Users who are viewing this thread

Back