Your 5 newest CDs (or LPs)
Jul 17, 2013 at 12:45 PM Post #5,882 of 6,671
Quote:
I need that Ashes of the Wake LP.

How's the sound?

I'm afraid you'll have to add that to the list of LPs I'll have to get back to you on. I'm still waiting for the separate equipment rack and dust cover for the turntable to arrive. I'm fine with setting the table on the floor temporarily, but I seriously wouldn't want it sitting there collecting dust over time. I even received a cartridge alignment tool with the two Music Matters LPs that arrived today, so I now have everything I need to set up the table properly (hopefully). One can only wonder how long the delivery of such a relatively simple thing as a dust cover can take. I understand if even the manufacturer is out of stock, but still it has been two months already...

The LP itself is quite flimsy but hopefully the mastering is at least half-decent. Having only hear this album and Killadephia but really enjoying Ashed of the Wake, which Lamb of God album(s) would you recommend for me to check out next?

Jul 17, 2013 at 2:45 PM Post #5,883 of 6,671
Quote:
The LP itself is quite flimsy but hopefully the mastering is at least half-decent. Having only hear this album and Killadephia but really enjoying Ashed of the Wake, which Lamb of God album(s) would you recommend for me to check out next?

Mind me for intruding, but I would definitely recommend 'Sacrament'. It's the record that followed 'Ashes of the Wake' and it brought with it much of the same caliber that was found in Ashes of the Wake.  Give it a listen, I hope you end up enjoying it. :)

Jul 17, 2013 at 4:59 PM Post #5,884 of 6,671
Mind me for intruding, but I would definitely recommend 'Sacrament'. It's the record that followed 'Ashes of the Wake' and it brought with it much of the same caliber that was found in Ashes of the Wake.  Give it a listen, I hope you end up enjoying it. :)

I think Sacrament is my favorite of their albums. As far as I'm concerned Ashes of the Wake ", As the Palaces Burn, and Sacrament are their only albums worth a listen. Burn the Priest is garbage, new American Gospel is pretty bad, too (even though I own the LP).

Though to be fair I haven't heard Wrath or Resolution all the way through yet, just bits and pieces. They're okay, but nothing too special from what I heard. Could change my mind after full listens though I guess.

Either way my top 3 of theirs are: Sacrament, As the Palaces Burn, and Ashes of the Wake.

Jul 17, 2013 at 5:24 PM Post #5,885 of 6,671
Quote:
I think Sacrament is my favorite of their albums. As far as I'm concerned Ashes of the Wake ", As the Palaces Burn, and Sacrament are their only albums worth a listen. Burn the Priest is garbage, new American Gospel is pretty bad, too (even though I own the LP).

Though to be fair I haven't heard Wrath or Resolution all the way through yet, just bits and pieces. They're okay, but nothing too special from what I heard. Could change my mind after full listens though I guess.

Either way my top 3 of theirs are: Sacrament, As the Palaces Burn, and Ashes of the Wake.

I'd have to agree with you on those three albums being their perhaps best work.  Resolution is a close fourth for me, but much of their stuff (excluding the aforementioned albums) are really hard for me to dig into.

Jul 18, 2013 at 3:04 AM Post #5,886 of 6,671
Thank you both. I've always had a feeling As the Palaces Burn might be a good one. It is useful to know that Sacrament is an album worthy of attention as well. Will check out both when I get around to it.

Jul 18, 2013 at 8:56 AM Post #5,887 of 6,671
Quote:
Thank you both. I've always had a feeling As the Palaces Burn might be a good one. It is useful to know that Sacrament is an album worthy of attention as well. Will check out both when I get around to it.

You're welcome!! :)

So, it's been awhile since I've made a purchase. I made a trip to the record store and got these great albums!

I was shocked to see they had Boris.  Plus it wasn't an arm and leg of a cost this time either.  The GY!BE album wasn't available at the location I went to, so they have to do a transfer.  It should be here in about a week, can't wait! :)

Jul 18, 2013 at 2:47 PM Post #5,890 of 6,671
Quote:
It is on CD. Is it really that bad? I haven't given it a listen yet. I wanted the Vinyl but I have yet to invest into a turntable at the moment.

I have not seen the movie or heard the CD, but mastering engineer Ian Shepherd made this video a few months back before the release of the CD after hearing a preview stream of it online. Perhaps it's just another typical loudness war video, but Ian presents his point well and I found it interesting to watch.

Edit
It's been a long time, but today I decided to make some Beatport purchases, all from one of my favorite labels: Silk Music. Click the images to go to the corresponding SoundCloud page with previews.

Jul 18, 2013 at 5:44 PM Post #5,891 of 6,671

Mgla - Groza
Immolation - Kingdom... (clear)
Carcass - Heartwork FDR (blue)
Agoraphobic/ Despise (split)
Nas - Illmatic

mmmmm vinyl

Jul 19, 2013 at 12:49 AM Post #5,892 of 6,671
Quote:
I have not seen the movie or heard the CD, but mastering engineer Ian Shepherd made this video a few months back before the release of the CD after hearing a preview stream of it online. Perhaps it's just another typical loudness war video, but Ian presents his point well and I found it interesting to watch.

Wow, even for a YouTube video I heard a difference. Now I feel like I've made a terrible purchase. I haven't opened the CD yet, so maybe I could return it in hopes of exchanging it for either the vinyl edition or something different.. Still didn't know it was that much of a difference. Confound these loudness wars..

Jul 19, 2013 at 1:57 AM Post #5,893 of 6,671
Wow, even for a YouTube video I heard a difference. Now I feel like I've made a terrible purchase. I haven't opened the CD yet, so maybe I could return it in hopes of exchanging it for either the vinyl edition or something different.. Still didn't know it was that much of a difference. Confound these loudness wars..

If you've seen the documentary you can understand the pedigree behind the analog cut of this album. There is no reason to buy a digital copy of an album recorded and mixed on gear like this.

Granted, good music is good music. I hate Dave, but this documentary was a great project.

Jul 19, 2013 at 2:22 AM Post #5,894 of 6,671
Quote:
If you've seen the documentary you can understand the pedigree behind the analog cut of this album. There is no reason to buy a digital copy of an album recorded and mixed on gear like this.

Granted, good music is good music. I hate Dave, but this documentary was a great project.

I see your point and I do understand. I loved the documentary, thus why I chose the album in the first place.  I'll return it for a vinyl copy if I'm lucky. Then I'll really have to make way for a turntable. :)

A warm welcome to a nice day. I plan on giving the album a full listen as soon as I can.  Listening to the Re:Dial single on headphones and it is just so amazing. Definitely helps put a smile on my face. :)

livetune (Feat. Hatsune Miku) - Re:Dial

Jul 20, 2013 at 5:03 AM Post #5,895 of 6,671
Gentle Giant - Octopus SHM-SACD
Capsule - Flash Best LE
Jin - Mekakucityrecords LE
Kyary Pamyu Pamyu - Nanda Collection LE
APINK - Secret Garden
Kayip - Theory of Everything
Takahiro Kawaguchi/Choi Joonyong - Suncheon Hyanggyo
Jason Kahn/Ryu Hankil/Jin Sangtae/Hong Chulki/Choi Joonyong/Park Seungjun - Dotolim
Ryu Hankil/Hong Chulki/Choi Joonyong/ - Inferior Sounds
Jakob Ullmann - A Catalogue of Sounds/Voice, Books and Fire/ Freme Zeit - Addendum
Stephen Cornford/Samuel Rodgers - Boring Embroidery
Anne Guthrie/Richard Kamerman - Sinter
Toshimaru Nakamura - maruto
Radu Malfatti/Keith Rowe - Φ

Catching up with some of the Balloon & Needle/Erstwhile releases I overlooked. Also never heard of Jakob Ullmann until I picked up a copy of The Wire a couple of months ago, this seems right up my street.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back