Your 5 newest CDs (or LPs)
Jul 20, 2010 at 9:12 PM Post #4,021 of 6,671

Quote:
I'll have to give it another listen. His Bowie impression is not bad 'First Kiss On Mars'.
The new Deftones album however...wow. What a return to form. The production on my T1 really sounds good. Tracks like Beauty School tested my K702 to the limit. It's funny that the equipment one listens to music on can influence one's opinion of the music itself.

"Return to form"? Don't know what you mean by that but I think Deftones has always made good music... I personally really liked Saturday Night Wrist.

Jul 21, 2010 at 12:32 AM Post #4,022 of 6,671
My latest haul - 5 CD's plus 1 DVD.

My last post here included an album by Nikki Yanofsky (you may know her from the Vancouver Olympics - she sang the anthem 'I Believe')  - I also mentioned that I had just bought tickets to her concert. Well, it turns out she is absolutely amazing! So I picked up her 'Live in Montreal' DVD on the weekend and am very glad I did so. I have the same sort of feeling that I had when I randomly picked up Norah Jones' 'Come Away With Me' disc 10 years ago. I expect big things from this young lady. 

I think she's only 17 years old and apparently she was weaned off of mother's milk straight onto Ella Fitzgerald records. She is technically brilliant and has a photographic memory for music (sound-ographic??). The DVD is basically the start of her recent tour with twice the number of songs (filmed over 2 nights it seems). The hometown crowd is nothing less than ecstatic giving ovations on just about every song. But her voice is less than perfect here - it actually cracks during her between-song patter and she jokes about it... On the whole, though, the performance is very good - it put a smile on my face. In addition to the jazz and pop standards, she has a few of her own songs thrown in - she worked with Jesse Harris (who wrote for Norah Jones) and Ron Sexsmith (Canadian singer/songwriter extraordinaire) on these.

Seems to be a really nice kid - it actually comes across on the DVD when she is overwhelmed a bit by the response from the crowd. And a pretty little thing, to boot.

Here is the Decca highlights reel:

CDs:

1. Emanuel Ax, Yo-Yo Ma and Itzhak Perlman - 'Mendelssohn Piano Trios'.

I can't find a YouTube video of the performance, but here are the musicians being dorky:

2. Pavel Haas Quartet - 'Prokofiev' (String Quartets Nos 1&2, Sonata for Two Violins)

They have been hailed as one of the best young chamber groups - a very good disc.

Here's the very brief Supraphon introduction video:

3. And here's one for the bass heads. Trentemoller - 'The Last Resort'. 

I first heard this on a Fabric podcast - Keith Reilly said something about making sure you have a decent pair of headphones for this one... spacey, dubby, techy, glitchy.

'Chameleon':

4. The Roots 'How I Got Over'. I'm not the biggest fan of hip hop, but I like The Roots (and I'm sure I'm not the only one who says that!). Great live feel (esp. drums) and no narcissistic BS in the lyrics.

5. Finally, Jose James - 'Blackmagic'.  Let's get it on! 

Very cool stuff - put THIS and THIS and THIS in a blender and hit 'Smooth'.

NB: Flying Lotus on production gives a dizzying feel on the headphones (lots of left-to-right switching).

Jul 21, 2010 at 1:05 AM Post #4,025 of 6,671
I'm in a real ECM mood right now, so my newest include:

Terje Rypdal, "Crime Scene"
Steve Tibbetts, "Natural Causes"
Ketil Bjornstad, "Remembrance"
Tomasz Stanko, "Leosia"

I guess the 18-CD DGM Gustav Mahler "Complete Edition" pushes me past the 5-CD limit, but oh well...

Jul 21, 2010 at 12:46 PM Post #4,026 of 6,671

Quote:
"Return to form"? Don't know what you mean by that but I think Deftones has always made good music... I personally really liked Saturday Night Wrist.

I agree, they've always made good music, but Saturday Night Wrist was another one of those albums I haven't found myself coming back to like their others. 

Jul 22, 2010 at 9:38 PM Post #4,028 of 6,671
Had a pretty decent Amazon haul today:

Jul 23, 2010 at 11:44 AM Post #4,029 of 6,671

Quote:
Had a pretty decent Amazon haul today:

let's see...  which one of these things doesn't belong with the others?
okay, aside from that album, post rock is pretty much ruling your ears right now, eh?

Jul 23, 2010 at 12:09 PM Post #4,030 of 6,671
Post Rock has been ruling my ears since I started reading Questionable Content, saw that Marten had a "Mogwaie - Happy Songs for Happy People" poster and looked them up on Youtube. My musical tastes have never been the same. I eventually randomly heard of Mono through related videos on Youtube, and got hooked on them. Last.fm and general consensus of Post Rock fans led me to hear "Storm" and everything changed again.

It's an obsession. A burning desire. An undeniable passion.

*Basketball Jones*

Jul 23, 2010 at 12:57 PM Post #4,031 of 6,671
I already listened to this album (one of my favorites) but I got this version:

Jul 23, 2010 at 8:30 PM Post #4,034 of 6,671
Boston - Boston
Boston - Don't Look Back
Mariah Carey - Butterfly
Van Halen - 1984
Bette Midler - Experience the Divine

Jul 23, 2010 at 8:41 PM Post #4,035 of 6,671

Quote:
Where did you get "The Downward Spiral" in surround sound?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Downward-Spiral-Deluxe-HYBRID-SACD/dp/B00066N8JS

Reissues

The Downward Spiral was re-released in 2004 to celebrate its tenth anniversary. It is available in two versions: as a 2-disc SACDhybrid set and in DualDisc format (DVD-A on one side and CD on the reverse). The SACD version is known as The Downward Spiral: Deluxe Edition and the DualDisc version as The Downward Spiral: DualDisc.

On its deluxe edition, the SACD version consists of two discs. Disc one is a CD/SACD hybrid. It has the original album, digitally remastered, in SACD 5.1 surround and SACD stereo on one layer (only playable in SACD players), and regular CD stereo on the other layer (playable in normal CD players). Disc two consists of b-sidessoundtrack contributions, and previously-unreleaseddemos presented in regular CD stereo. This version is labeled Halo Eight DE.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back