you people are insane
Mar 15, 2007 at 1:52 PM Post #61 of 183
hate to feed the obvious 'troll just to troll' post, but this is an interesting topic that means a lot to me.

Many people, often decent people - family and good friends, have a great deal of objectively looking at the big picture. They spend $$$ on various things that bring them happiness and have no ability to understand that others do the same - BUT on different things.

Golf, stereo, cars, home improvement projects, sports (playing in), sports (watching and memorabilia), collecting, traveling, and too many more to list.

Yeah, a few of those things can add value or appreciate (home improvement, some car stuff, etc) but most are just 'expenditures' on the ledger sheet. What is not on the ledger sheet is enjoyment. Everyone spends (time and or money) on things that make them happy. That keeps us sane.

Headphones are actually somewhat of a smaller thing for me. I have 2 ipods and a lot of music. I will soon have UE5s (had UM2 and SF.5's before). I listen to them at work some and at home in the evenings from time to time. Running, Biking and Swimming are my passions (all of this is after my family of course) that take most of my free time and money.

Mar 15, 2007 at 2:21 PM Post #62 of 183
Quote:

Originally Posted by DJShadow /img/forum/go_quote.gif
X2. But I do hope that he's only being naive and will become more open-minded
frown.gif

EDIT: then again, he/she has started two threads and has yet to respond to any of the comments made

Trolls like to post one item, and then sit back and enjoy the uproar they've (hopefully) created.
rolleyes.gif

I only state the obvious, for the inevitable net newbies that are experiencing their first troll thread.

Mar 15, 2007 at 2:28 PM Post #63 of 183
Quote:

Originally Posted by J_Milian /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Who would actually spend hundreds of dollars on just a pair of headphones? I mean, you can buy food, clothes, a bed, a dog, or a party.
blink.gif

What you call insanity,I call sensitiveness,love for detail in something as important(for many) as music.In every human activity,quality means a big effort,and that effort translates into price...and when you get used to excellence or high level,in anything,there's no way back.If you think this hobby is expensive,I'll tell you about gemstone collecting,my main interest...check this out,for example! http://wsfgems.com/benito.html

Did you notice the dimensions and weights? (1 carat=0.2 grams)
eek.gif

Mar 15, 2007 at 2:41 PM Post #64 of 183
cans are great stuff because they don't have to be the subject of your enjoyment - just the medium through which you get your true enjoyment - MUSIC.

guitars, on the other hand, can be a pain. you can spend far more on one, and the music that comes out is just your music, and let's face it - no one is always totally happy with how their own music sounds, even if the people around you disagree. or is that just me? also, tiny little burrs in the sound that you try to hunt down and fix in your guitars...SO FRUSTRATING.

so the way i see it is, stuff like cameras and guitars and bikes are instruments, tools, and you need them to be up to snuff to produce what you make. headphone are a lot less worrisome - slap em on and enjoy the tunes! it's far more in the "enjoy entertainment" category than the "make entertainment" category - it's not a crime to pay some cash to kick back and just relax and enjoy other people's hard labour!

Mar 15, 2007 at 3:15 PM Post #67 of 183
Quote:

Who would actually spend hundreds of dollars on just a pair of headphones? I mean, you can buy food, clothes, a bed, a dog, or a party.
blink.gif

I have alot of extra money hanging around, and I love music, so it make sense. Not insane, just bored.

Mar 15, 2007 at 3:38 PM Post #68 of 183
Quote:

blink.gif

I guess if we spent $1700 on a 5.1 Bose Multi-Directional Lifestyle System with Acoustimass Module, you would think we were the sh!t.
rolleyes.gif
Just buy some KSC75s from RadioShack and get outta here.

Mar 15, 2007 at 3:50 PM Post #69 of 183
This troller gets more giddy with every post. Damn! I just made him giddier. It's better than crack, right?

Mar 15, 2007 at 3:50 PM Post #70 of 183
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cid /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Nah, we (or at least I) just appreciate and want to enjoy music the way it was meant to be heard. I see nothing wrong with that.

Why spend thousands of dollars on a car? I have legs, I can walk. I can also take the bus, train or order a taxi.

Why spend thousands on decorating your home? when you can get by with a lick of cheap paint and a wooden floor.

Why spend thousands on buying presents for a good looking woman? when I have a perfectly useful right hand.

Why eat out at fancy restaurants? when I can make the food at home for cheaper.

Why go to the cinema? when I can pirate all my movies.

Why drink beer, soda or any other drink that costs money? when water is free and better for you than anything else.

... and so on. What you find pointless or a waste of money, others might find enjoyable and vice versa.

But that's just like having cheap headphones, watching movies in the theatre is much better then at home.

Mar 15, 2007 at 3:52 PM Post #71 of 183
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rubber_Soul /img/forum/go_quote.gif
But that's just like having cheap headphones, watching movies in the theatre is much better then at home.

That's why you have a home theater with a HD projector and 106" screen. It's actually more affordable than you think.

Mar 15, 2007 at 3:55 PM Post #72 of 183
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rubber_Soul /img/forum/go_quote.gif

You haven't seen a good home theater lately? Can you say "Blu-Ray" or "HD-DVD" and 1080P and a 120 inch screen, and Dolby TrueHD, and...

Mar 15, 2007 at 4:42 PM Post #73 of 183
I came to a conclusion with a fellow headfi member that for a lot of members the means to that "headphone nirvana" are much more interesting than the end product (I bet it's pretty hard to tell the difference between $900 cans and $1500 cans, they probably both pretty awesome). I find it absurd because of the fact that most people here, if not all, are just normal people with day jobs, not audio professionals who would actually need these type of headphones for daily, precise editing and monitoring. To each their own, but I'll stick with sub $100 cans!

Mar 15, 2007 at 5:05 PM Post #74 of 183
Quote:

Originally Posted by jamesb /img/forum/go_quote.gif
oh man, this thread is brilliant...

you need to get some € or £ notes - far superior to your average american dollar
Euros are matured in oak barrels for a fine oak scent, with a hint of blackcurrant
with pound notes you get the visual pleasure of watching the queens face melt in the flames

of course the real connoisseurs only burn scottish pounds - all the notes are soaked in fine single malt for at least 10 years after being printed using a fully analogue printing press. digitally printed notes all suffer from artifacts in the smoke, with analogue printing you get a smooth dynamic smoke

Haha...this is awesome.

Quote:

I came to a conclusion with a fellow headfi member that for a lot of members the means to that "headphone nirvana" are much more interesting than the end product (I bet it's pretty hard to tell the difference between $900 cans and $1500 cans, they probably both pretty awesome). I find it absurd because of the fact that most people here, if not all, are just normal people with day jobs, not audio professionals who would actually need these type of headphones for daily, precise editing and monitoring. To each their own, but I'll stick with sub $100 cans!

I think the point is we spend a lot of money on stuff we don't need...do I need my couple thousand dollar gaming computer? No...my needs for a computer are much less than what I have, I'm not a professional gamer...and a 7900gtx is not necessary for compiling c++ programs, or writing papers. But I enjoy games so I spend money on what I enjoy. Not trying to cause an argument (wouldn't want the troll to get too excited
biggrin.gif
) just trying to say that what we spend money on a lot of things we don't need.

Mar 15, 2007 at 5:12 PM Post #75 of 183
Quote:

Originally Posted by audiomagnate /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You haven't seen a good home theater lately? Can you say "Blu-Ray" or "HD-DVD" and 1080P and a 120 inch screen, and Dolby TrueHD, and...

... and the end result is much more pleasing than going to the theater IMO. No screaming kids, no cell phones, better PQ, better seating, don't have to get there 30 minutes early to get a decent seat, sound doesn't make your ears bleed (unless you want it to) and a LOT cheaper in the long run.

but I digress...

Everyone places a value on the things in life and for some audio/headphones has a high value. As mentioned earlier it really comes down to the things you love in life. If you love skydiving spending a bunch of money on your own gear and a lot of plane rides isn't going to seem ridiculous. If you like motorcycles buying a fully loaded Harley Ultra-Glide may seem perfectly acceptable, etc. etc.
Ant

Users who are viewing this thread

Back