You know you're an audiophile when...
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 21, 2013 at 9:41 PM Post #6,001 of 6,356
Oh god, forgot to check here and reply.
Quote:
Where can I find skins for both FooBar and Windows 7??

I usually go to DeviantArt. Beware of some unsafe skins. Start browsing skins by selecting "Popular All Time". DeviantArt can be a bit difficult to navigate as far as categories go. They have categories specifically for Windows 7 Visual Styles, Rainmeter, Rocketdock, Foobar2000 skins, etc. Do you want to me to tell you how to get to them?
Quote:
WOAH, that is one really hecka nice skin! It has a Zune/Windows Phone/Windows 8 interface kind of look to it.

Thanks. Props to the original creator (the skin's name is Zetro).
Quote:
@Hybrid - are you running Linux?  Looks a lot like a conky monitor on the side .....

Nope. It's a program called Rainmeter that's just like Conky but for Windows, one of the most popular programs out there for info and eyecandy on your Windows desktop.
Quote:
It's the default monitors that come with rainmeter.

Speaking of Linux
http://www.ap-linux.com/

This. Illustro (illustro) comes default with Rainmeter. Anything else you have to download but skins aren't difficult to install, whether you have to copy them into the themes folder in the Rainmeter folder in "Documents" or just running the skin installer.
Quote:
Anybody know where I can get a skin for Windows 7 and FooBar 2000?

DeviantArt. There are some other websites too but I usually go around DA.

Anyways, got this set up on my desktop now. :D Not using Zetro on my desktop for Foobar2000 btw (not in the photo. I'm using Mnlt2, or monolite2 I believe. Also on DeviantArt). Ignore the red box on the IP address section (that reminds me, censor your photos when you post them).

Jan 21, 2013 at 9:49 PM Post #6,002 of 6,356
Anyways, as to how to navigate the "Categories" on DeviantArt, here are the paths.

Windows Visual Styles and Start Orbs

Customization > Skins & Themes > Windows 7 Utilities

From there, you can choose Visual Styles 7 for 3rd party Windows themes or Start Orbs for...well, start orbs. just to be safe, if you're new to this or just want to be careful, make a system restore point before doing any experimentation. The first time I did this with a theme, I accidentally deleted explorerframe.dll in my system files and Windows would no longer work (wouldn't even let me log in, just reported errors when I tried to log in). DO THIS AS A SAFETY PRECAUTION. Anyways, if you want to change your start orb, use the Start Orb Changer by Kishan Bagaria over at www.door2windows.com. Make sure you run the program as an administrator. Also, I'd advise not moving the location of your start orb. Whenever changing from 1 custom start orb to another, hit restore so you will always have the original Windows 7 start orb (that big blue one).

Other than that, enjoy.

As for foobar2000:

Customization > Skins & Themes > Media Players (not Audio Utilities) > Foobar2000

Of course there are also a lot of other things. Most 3rd party skins and themes reside in the Skins & Themes subcategory under Customization, so just go and search there.

Happy skinning!

Also, a great guide on how to install 3rd party themes on Windows which covers most themes. Some themes are slightly different when it comes to installing since sometimes they make use of other utilities (usually the utilities made by Kishan Bagaria over at door2windows like the start orb changer or navigation buttons changer).

Guide: http://neiio.deviantart.com/art/How-to-Install-Custom-Themes-262833454

If you aren't comfortable or get lost, just ask me. Remember, make a system restore point before trying anything. Maybe just in case keep a Win 7 installation disk on hand because that will be the only way you can repair your computer in most cases. REMEMBER, IT'S LEGAL TO DOWNLOAD THE .ISO FILES FOR WINDOWS 7 INSTALLATION DISCS. HOWEVER, IT IS NOT LEGAL TO USE THOSE DISCS TO ACTIVATE A FULL COPY OF WINDOWS WITHOUT PURCHASING A KEY FROM MICROSOFT. Download links below, AND REMEMBER, THIS IS LEGAL. ACTIVATING WINDOWS WITHOUT A LEGIT PRODUCT KEY IS ILLEGAL.

http://www.mydigitallife.info/official-windows-7-sp1-iso-from-digital-river/

Just burn that .iso to a DVD or USB stick (as long as it works) and just use the repair tools with it to do a system restore if anything goes horribly wrong.

Jan 21, 2013 at 9:58 PM Post #6,004 of 6,356
Quote:

Where can I get your start orb?

Also, why do you use a second dock when you've got the Windows superbar?

My start orb is called "aftersounds". Link below:

http://mustberesult.deviantart.com/art/Aftersounds-start-button-Win-7-198307648

I like to keep my superbar perfectly empty. I don't have anything pinned to it. I'm a minimalist. The background and Android inspired dock say otherwise (and rainmeter) but everything else I like to keep clean. I do plan on moving to something really simple in the future.  The 2 clocks I sort of have no reason for.

In short, I keep nothing pinned to my taskbar and start menu (since it looks cleaner).

Oh, you guys, make sure you use the correct start button for your taskbar. They have versions for small and large taskbars and also sometimes have multiple versions for different locations of the superbar (top, bottom, right, left).

Jan 22, 2013 at 12:16 AM Post #6,007 of 6,356
I am right with you on that.
Quote:
When you avoid the full-sized section because you know your finances cannot afford the hit.

...when you become brutally honest with your friends and they're upset with you when you tell them they no longer have music rights in your car unless it's from your DAP instead of theirs. 

....when you spend money on the same song over and over because it's higher quality each time you buy it

Jan 22, 2013 at 12:31 AM Post #6,008 of 6,356
When your driving by a store that is titled "Cartridge World" and you yell out, "Turntables!" Sadly it was a printing cartridge store
size]

Jan 22, 2013 at 12:54 AM Post #6,010 of 6,356
When you go to Best Buy carrying your headphones to compare to the other ones they have just to see what garbage sounds like.

On a side note, the Sennheiser HD428s are among the least expensive they carry in store and sound better than anything else they have 3-4X the price.

Jan 22, 2013 at 1:25 AM Post #6,012 of 6,356
You know you're an audiophile when you can't stand any of your friends wearing Apple's stock buds and force them to buy something else. I even went as far as to buy a close friend of mine FXD40s because she wasn't convinced. 

Jan 22, 2013 at 6:22 PM Post #6,014 of 6,356
When getting wood cups, you think about the 3 week turnaround, boy, not sure if I can live without my baby's for that long. It may be worth it though..

Jan 22, 2013 at 6:29 PM Post #6,015 of 6,356
Quote:
When getting wood cups, you think about the 3 week turnaround, boy, not sure if I can live without my baby's for that long. It may be worth it though..

What cans are we talking about? 

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back