You know you're an audiophile when...
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 6, 2013 at 12:52 PM Post #5,642 of 6,356
when you try to sleep with headphones though they are uncomfortable (due to being unable to sleep sidewards)

Jan 6, 2013 at 1:29 PM Post #5,645 of 6,356
Fold the pillow so it rests on your neck and across your cheek. Tuck in the bit that covers your nose/mouth so you can still breathe. This way your headphones rest on your head and don't touch the pillow and the pillow still supports your head/neck. You can now sleep on your side with headphones on. :)

Jan 6, 2013 at 1:36 PM Post #5,646 of 6,356
Quote:
Fold the pillow so it rests on your neck and across your cheek. Tuck in the bit that covers your nose/mouth so you can still breathe. This way your headphones rest on your head and don't touch the pillow and the pillow still supports your head/neck. You can now sleep on your side with headphones on. :)

I must try this, master. I've been searching for years for a way to sleep in my DT880, and you may have shown me the light. Which I can use while sleeping in the dark.

Jan 6, 2013 at 3:14 PM Post #5,648 of 6,356
Quote:
I fell asleep at my desk just yesterday.

well last night i didnt sleep at all...i started listening with my headphones on at around 23:00 and at 11:00 am i was still awake and listening..my wife was furious when she found me on the couch and not in our bed..
deadhorse.gif
..does that mean i am a audiophile?
biggrin.gif

Jan 6, 2013 at 3:23 PM Post #5,649 of 6,356
Quote:

i need to try this,,,very smart! thanks for the tip!
i have a bit of a same way:
i normally use my headphones laying on my comfy couch with two pillows under my head (one hard and one soft)..the harder pillow u put part under ur neck and ur upper back ..against the side of the couch...the second softer one u put behind on top of that behind ur head..but the tricky thing here is that u turn the pillow so that one corner of the pillow is up...so ur head rests on the tip of the pillow..that way ur ears/headphone is somewhat clear from the pillow... like this i can listen to my phones for hours. what i found out also is that its even more comfortable of u put two small pillows under ur knees so ur feet are a bit higher...perfect!
L3000.gif

Jan 6, 2013 at 4:28 PM Post #5,650 of 6,356
Quote:
You know you're an audiophile when you find yourself thinking "WHY OH WHY DOESN'T THE CLIP + HAVE USB AUDIO!"

I'm there. I would have an external DAC by now, if I didn't need a new DAP to go with it. Still considering trying to make myself some sort of uber-player. Rasp.Pi maybe? Arduino? I don't know.

Jan 6, 2013 at 6:00 PM Post #5,652 of 6,356
I don't know. Am I an audiophile?

I sometimes find myself using cheaper and lower end products because they are overlooked and have neutral and open sounds with little to no coloration.

For instance I own 2 sets of Logitech LS201 computer speakers which go for about $20. They are one of those little 2.1 systems with a mini subwoofer, look like every other cheap, crappy, low end pc speaker, except that when I actually heard these I was astonished by their upper extension, clarity, and lack of coloration. Yes the subwoofer sucks and it boosts that annoying 100-160hz range that cheap bass goes for, but with the sub turned way down I find the mids and highs these things produce to be exceptional for the price. I actually use these to master music on one of my other PC's. For comparison, I have a pair of M-Audio BX8 studio monitors that are bi-amped and expensive as hell. But I can't exactly have multiple sets of BX8's on every PC I own, so the ls201's fit a spot in my home almost perfectly.

I use HD201's at the office because they sound excellent for the price and I don't have to worry about people stealing them, again it fits a niche I had perfectly. I have more expensive headphones I also could use in the same situation like the HD205's but they sound inferior to me in spite of price and my truly good cans like DT880's never leave the house.

I replaced my living room home theater speakers with inexpensive Pioneer's because although they are cheap, they are near audiophile quality, much better than the more expensive and larger JBL's they replaced. They are entry level speakers, but designed by a brilliant engineer who managed to sneak some exceptional sound into an inexpensive set.

So I may not be willing to spend thousands of dollars on a headphone amplifier or tens of thousands on a good DAC, but I make my buying dollar count and for now it's good enough.

Jan 6, 2013 at 6:12 PM Post #5,653 of 6,356
 < Wife Complains about how the basement listening area looks - shelves and clutter everywhere>    
tongue_smile.gif

SOLUTION:   < line the faces of the shelving units with several boxes worth of acoustic foam so she can't see the mess >
atsmile.gif

Qualifies, I should think...

Jan 6, 2013 at 7:43 PM Post #5,654 of 6,356
HEY EVERYBODY!! I PREFER 128 MP3'S THAN FLAC, AND LOVE THE EQ ON IPODS. AND CALIFORNICATION IS THE BEST ALBUM IN SOUND QUALITY!

Just kidding, now that I have your attention, take a look at my editing skills in Wikipedia.

(I know this has nothing to do with the thread, but it will probably make you laugh).

Jan 6, 2013 at 8:12 PM Post #5,655 of 6,356
Quote:
HEY EVERYBODY!! I PREFER 128 MP3'S THAN FLAC, AND LOVE THE EQ ON IPODS. AND CALIFORNICATION IS THE BEST ALBUM IN SOUND QUALITY!
Just kidding, now that I have your attention, take a look at my editing skills in Wikipedia.
(I know this has nothing to do with the thread, but it will probably make you laugh).

Fight that good fight
beerchug.gif
If I remember right the "loudness War" started with GN'R CD's 

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back