You know you're an audiophile when...
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 2, 2013 at 2:38 PM Post #5,491 of 6,356
I saw this comparison between all of the flagship 'phones, and the guy was running them off of a 22 thousand dollar amp. Diamond something. Doubt anyone wants the story so bad. Video-maybe.

Jan 2, 2013 at 3:30 PM Post #5,492 of 6,356
Quote:
MOAR STAX! MOAR ORPHEUS! MOAR EVERY SINGLE FLAGSHIP HEADPHONE EVER CREATED!!! PLUS THE 010 WHENEVER IT COMES OUT!!! AND ABOVE ALL....MOAR CAPS LOCK!!!

But why would I buy those and waste the money? The M50 is clearly the greatest headphone in the world, and it's only $150 max. I could take the remainder and get a $20,000 amp and a $10,000 cable interconnect and still have enough left over to buy a marginally better than typical TOTL CD player transport. That would be the ultimate system ever, until I rewired my house's electrical. I'd have to film myself with a few more supermodels, though, before I could afford that.

Jan 2, 2013 at 4:14 PM Post #5,495 of 6,356
Quote:
The diamond thing was actually a DAC from MSB tech and it starts at $20k but with upgrades can end up at about $50k.

Ah. I see. I want.

Quote:

But why would I buy those and waste the money? The M50 is clearly the greatest headphone in the world, and it's only $150 max. I could take the remainder and get a $20,000 amp and a $10,000 cable interconnect and still have enough left over to buy a marginally better than typical TOTL CD player transport. That would be the ultimate system ever, until I rewired my house's electrical. I'd have to film myself with a few more supermodels, though, before I could afford that.

Um...what? Good god, I hope that was a joke. By the way, what is the cheapest interconnect available. I don't want any crappy ass cables-only interconnects. There is a big difference, a solid line between cables and interconnect. 

Jan 2, 2013 at 4:39 PM Post #5,496 of 6,356
Quote:
Um...what? Good god, I hope that was a joke. By the way, what is the cheapest interconnect available. I don't want any crappy ass cables-only interconnects. There is a big difference, a solid line between cables and interconnect. 

It was satire, on the order of the Typical Head-Fi'er Andy thread. I neither endorse nor disparage anyone's viewpoints in the name of comedy. I seek only to illicit amusement and to subsequently sound like a person who writes legal disclaimers.

You know you're an audiophile when you're aware of fine (and sometimes not so fine) distinctions between hobby-specific jargon.

Jan 2, 2013 at 5:56 PM Post #5,498 of 6,356
Jan 2, 2013 at 8:34 PM Post #5,499 of 6,356
You know your an audiophile when your super happy that one of my albums is 2700 kbps
biggrin.gif

Jan 2, 2013 at 8:47 PM Post #5,501 of 6,356
Originally Posted by Argyris /img/forum/go_quote.gif

But why would I buy those and waste the money? The M50 is clearly the greatest headphone in the world, and it's only $150 max. I could take the remainder and get a $20,000 amp and a $10,000 cable interconnect and still have enough left over to buy a marginally better than typical TOTL CD player transport. That would be the ultimate system ever, until I rewired my house's electrical. I'd have to film myself with a few more supermodels, though, before I could afford that.

Why would you do that? With that much money, you should just buy the artist to play live and follow you everyday.

Jan 2, 2013 at 8:53 PM Post #5,502 of 6,356
Quote:
You know you're not an audiophile when you can't tell the difference between regular 500+ kbps CD-quality FLAC files and so called "HD" 24/96 music (and yes I do have a few 24/96 albums).

You know that you're an audiophile when you THINK you can tell the difference between regular FLAC and 192/32 music

Jan 2, 2013 at 8:57 PM Post #5,503 of 6,356
Quote:

But why would I buy those and waste the money? The M50 is clearly the greatest headphone in the world, and it's only $150 max. I could take the remainder and get a $20,000 amp and a $10,000 cable interconnect and still have enough left over to buy a marginally better than typical TOTL CD player transport. That would be the ultimate system ever, until I rewired my house's electrical. I'd have to film myself with a few more supermodels, though, before I could afford that.

Why would you do that? With that much money, you should just buy the artist to play live and follow you everyday.

I've actually changed my mind. If I had all that money, I'd buy a pet monkey and name him Shock.

You know you're an audiophile when waltzing through the local supermarket wearing IEMs is something you do regularly. You know you're a Michigander if the supermarket was Meijer and you call it "Meijers." And you know that, if you see a guy in a Meijer wearing a lavender button down shirt, a black fedora, and a pair of S6, you've met me. 
etysmile.gif

Jan 2, 2013 at 8:57 PM Post #5,504 of 6,356

You know you're not an audiophile when you can't tell the difference between regular 500+ kbps CD-quality FLAC files and so called "HD" 24/96 music (and yes I do have a few 24/96 albums).

Huh. It's not that big of a difference. I think too many people easily try to disqualify themselves from audiophile status. Yo. Its the internet. Quit trying to be modest.
Quote:
You know that you're an audiophile when you THINK you can tell the difference between regular FLAC and 192/96 music

Do an ABX on Foobar2000. Post your results. I am really interested to see if you can. What headphones are you using? Wouldn't be shocked. Don't have any 192/96 recordings, but that is a whole lot of tonal resolution.
Quote:

No. Uh-uh. 30k? Nice try. And honestly, studio recordings can sound better than live.

Jan 2, 2013 at 9:06 PM Post #5,505 of 6,356
Quote:

I've actually changed my mind. If I had all that money, I'd buy a pet monkey and name him Shock.

You know you're an audiophile when waltzing through the local supermarket wearing IEMs is something you do regularly. You know you're a Michigander if the supermarket was Meijer and you call it "Meijers." And you know that, if you see a guy in a Meijer wearing a lavender button down shirt, a black fedora, and a pair of S6, you've met me. 
etysmile.gif

Well, you've got more style than me.
wink.gif
  I walk through the supermarket with Senn PX90s, and a black T-shirt and either jeans or dark blue khakis, and a baseball cap if it is raining out.(hate rain on the glasses)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back