You Know You're an Audiophile When.. Version 2!
Jun 3, 2015 at 8:16 AM Post #5,446 of 6,112
Originally Posted by Danpyre /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It says you have the MRD7506, V-Moda LP, and the Ultimate Ears 350.
Not sure about the 350, but I'm fairly Shure that the 668B and the UE6000 (just look at the graphs of that thing on passive) beat the LP and the 7506, though that's just measurement-wise. I've heard the V-6 irl (virtually the same thing as the 7506), and I actually preferred the sound of the 668B. Haven't heard the LP, but I've seen some pretty bad claims against it.

Ooh, Music Alchemist got faced!

Jun 3, 2015 at 10:16 AM Post #5,447 of 6,112
It says you have the MRD7506, V-Moda LP, and the Ultimate Ears 350.
Not sure about the 350, but I'm fairly Shure that the 668B and the UE6000 (just look at the graphs of that thing on passive) beat the LP and the 7506, though that's just measurement-wise. I've heard the V-6 irl (virtually the same thing as the 7506), and I actually preferred the sound of the 668B. Haven't heard the LP, but I've seen some pretty bad claims against it.

You're not paying attention, dude. I never said anything about my current headphones being purchased in the past month. Read the "used to own" section on my profile. FYI, in the past month alone, I bought the Sennheiser HD 650, Focal Spirit Professional (my second pair), and Yamaha HPH-MT220. And I have owned much more expensive headphones too, including the Sennheiser HD 700 and HIFIMAN HE400i. I have owned my current headphones for many months. (I don't even use the IEMs and have owned them for years.) I sold off everything else and am trying to sell what I have too. If you look at the wish list on my profile, you can see that I am interested in all sorts of stuff, but mostly the best headphones, like the STAX SR-009. Want to save up for it in the next few months.

The V-MODA Crossfade LP is the worst headphone I have ever heard. Boomy and muddy.

The Sony MDR-7506 is reportedly different than the V6. My 7506 is far too bright and nasty, but occasionally sounds almost exactly like real life, depending on the recording. So for the price I paid ($85), it's a steal. I actually prefer it over the HD 700.

Jun 3, 2015 at 10:25 AM Post #5,448 of 6,112

You're not paying attention, dude. I never said anything about my current headphones being purchased in the past month. Read the "used to own" section on my profile. FYI, in the past month alone, I bought the Sennheiser HD 650, Focal Spirit Professional (my second pair), and Yamaha HPH-MT220. And I have owned much more expensive headphones too, including the Sennheiser HD 700 and HIFIMAN HE400i. I have owned my current headphones for many months. (I don't even use the IEMs and have owned them for years.) I sold off everything else and am trying to sell what I have too. If you look at the wish list on my profile, you can see that I am interested in all sorts of stuff, but mostly the best headphones, like the STAX SR-009. Want to save up for it in the next few months.

From all the definitions I read online, I really wonder if Stax 009 has the soundstage and treble of sennheiser hd800 but with less bass. Because this is the most I can make out of most comparations.

Jun 3, 2015 at 10:25 AM Post #5,449 of 6,112
  From all the definitions I read online, I really wonder if Stax 009 has the soundstage and treble of sennheiser hd800 but with less bass. Because this is the most I can make out of most comparations.

I have read countless comparisons, and basically...many people think the 009 is far superior in every way.

Jun 3, 2015 at 11:22 AM Post #5,450 of 6,112
YKYAAW you use professional headphone calibration software to get a more accurate frequency response.

http://sonarworks.com/headphones/overview/

OMG. I want this! O_O

They also have a free 21 day trial: http://sonarworks.com/try-now/

You can see the supported headphone profiles on that page. Those are just the ones where it's automatic and you don't have to do any extra work to get the calibrated frequency response, if you own one of those headphones.

Jun 3, 2015 at 11:27 AM Post #5,451 of 6,112
  YKYAAW you use professional headphone calibration software to get a more accurate frequency response.

http://sonarworks.com/headphones/overview/

OMG. I want this! O_O

They also have a free 21 day trial: http://sonarworks.com/try-now/

You can see the supported headphone profiles on that page. Those are just the ones where it's automatic and you don't have to do any extra work to get the calibrated frequency response, if you own one of those headphones.

They have such a low number of models up for their optimizations. I wish I could test and come back with an answer on how it sounds like. 

Jun 3, 2015 at 11:31 AM Post #5,452 of 6,112
  They have such a low number of models up for their optimizations. I wish I could test and come back with an answer on how it sounds like. 

They have upgrade packages where you can send in your existing headphones or even get new headphones with the calibration profiles. But those are more expensive...

The Sony MDR-7506 is supported, so I'm gonna try it out. You can also read about it in this review.

Jun 3, 2015 at 12:07 PM Post #5,453 of 6,112
Gah! It's a DAW (Digital Audio Workstation) plugin. How do I get it to work with music player programs?

I contacted the developers. I think I can use it as a plugin in foobar2000, etc. Just gotta find out how.

Jun 3, 2015 at 3:59 PM Post #5,454 of 6,112
YKYAAW it's just as awkward having your mom walk in on you listening to music as it is when you are uhh..not?
I got really into my music today, and she jump-scared me! It was kinda weird. Just me..shut away in a quiet room..with nothing but music.

Originally Posted by Music Alchemist /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Gah! It's a DAW (Digital Audio Workstation) plugin. How do I get it to work with music player programs? I contacted the developers. I think I can use it as a plugin in foobar2000, etc. Just gotta find out how.

Gotta break out the h4x0rz. Have you tried Accudio by Golden Ears? It has a ton of headphone models available for compensation. It's another program you have to pay for, though. And I believe it's only for idevices right now.

Jun 3, 2015 at 4:05 PM Post #5,455 of 6,112
Okay, I figured out how to get the Sonarworks Headphone Calibration software to work with foobar2000. Just follow this tutorial.

My Sony MDR-7506 sounds sooo much better now. Like going from extremely thin, bright, harsh, and nasty to natural and realistic.

You can even activate and deactivate the calibration while music is playing, to really hear the difference it makes.

Gotta break out the h4x0rz. Have you tried Accudio by Golden Ears? It has a ton of headphone models available for compensation. It's another program you have to pay for, though. And I believe it's only for idevices right now.

Yeah, I don't have an iPhone, so I can't use that. Someone told me the Golden Ears compensation curve sounds weird too.

Jun 3, 2015 at 6:12 PM Post #5,457 of 6,112
@TripBitShooter I finally bought the Audio-Technica ATH-M50xBL just now. For the time being, I'll have to drive it directly from my laptop.

Yay! You did it! Now you have one of the most hyped entry-level headphones! It has a ton of bass, yet sounds natural. Acoustic guitars may not sound their best, but vocals are nice.

Jun 3, 2015 at 6:30 PM Post #5,459 of 6,112
Meh. Measurements seem very meh for a studio headphone at that price.

We'll see how it sounds when I get it. If you haven't already, read the "used to own" section on my profile. I'll be able to compare it to many other studio monitor headphones.

But yeah, the measurements look awful! Good thing I'm only using it for casual listening, not in a studio. Not sure why so many people use all these colored studio monitor headphones in studios. I think all of them are pretty inaccurate.

By the way...that calibration software I'm using has a preset for these headphones, to make them sound much more accurate. Measurements aren't so much an issue with resources like this at your disposal!

Read this too: http://sonarworks.com/2015/05/audio-technica_m50x_headphone_review/

(It describes the improvements brought about by the calibration.)

Jun 3, 2015 at 7:35 PM Post #5,460 of 6,112
But yeah, the measurements look awful! Good thing I'm only using it for casual listening, not in a studio. Not sure why so many people use all these colored studio monitor headphones in studios. I think all of them are pretty inaccurate.

You haffn't seen this review, silly? http://www.head-fi.org/products/audio-technica-ath-m50x/reviews/13152
Most studio monitors may be tuned a little weirdly, but they are very tweakable!
The M50X's THD is great, as are its square waves, at least when it comes to having a closed back. Just compare it to the NAD Viso HP50 or Focal Spirit Professional, which cost twice as much. It is good for the price!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back