You Know You're an Audiophile When.. Version 2!
Jun 3, 2015 at 10:43 PM Post #5,477 of 6,112
  I Knew I was audiophile when I spent all my pocket money buying CDs as a little child. 

I was the same way. Before I knew it, I had spent tens of thousands of dollars on CDs...

Too bad that was before I got into quality audio equipment.
frown.gif

Jun 4, 2015 at 2:49 AM Post #5,478 of 6,112
YKYAAW you go to a gig, pick up on distortion on one of the bass bins, and can't get it out of your head...

Jun 4, 2015 at 3:07 AM Post #5,479 of 6,112
Reference headphones are supposed to be clinical although some are designed with flaws left in or at least for tuning or phase related reasons.

There's a convolution reverb which has other environments like a car interior. Alternatives are focusrite vrm which models studios, living rooms.

The only time i want a flatline is when my time is done on thus earth.

EDIT: I think I must have been replying to another question.

Jun 4, 2015 at 6:15 AM Post #5,480 of 6,112
I hate to be the one breaking the fun for you, but ath m50 ant it's variations are known for having a very.... intimate soundstage. 

YKYAAW you spend more than two hours a day for a week trying to fiind the best fir with your IEMs. /Ie800 stays in ear, but it tends to come out of my ears sometimes. It stays very true to it's fit if I only use small adapters, so no complaints here.

Jun 4, 2015 at 11:31 AM Post #5,481 of 6,112
Reference headphones are supposed to be clinical although some are designed with flaws left in or at least for tuning or phase related reasons.

There's a convolution reverb which has other environments like a car interior. Alternatives are focusrite vrm which models studios, living rooms.

The only time i want a flatline is when my time is done on thus earth.

EDIT: I think I must have been replying to another question.

Reference headphones are supposed to be accurate. If they are overly clinical, then they are not accurate.

Not sure what some of this post is about, though... Feel free to clarify.

I hate to be the one breaking the fun for you, but ath m50 ant it's variations are known for having a very.... intimate soundstage. 

I hate to be the one "breaking the fun" for you, but I don't care about soundstage. All headphones sound about the same in terms of soundstage to me, from the smallest to largest, with nearly no differences, especially compared to speakers. The HD 700 had the largest soundstage, I'd say, but like I said, it was almost no difference at all compared to the smallest headphone soundstage I've heard.

Jun 4, 2015 at 11:48 AM Post #5,482 of 6,112

Reference headphones are supposed to be accurate. If they are overly clinical, then they are not accurate.

Not sure what some of this post is about, though... Feel free to clarify.

I hate to be the one "breaking the fun" for you, but I don't care about soundstage. All headphones sound about the same in terms of soundstage to me, from the smallest to largest, with nearly no differences, especially compared to speakers. The HD 700 had the largest soundstage, I'd say, but like I said, it was almost no difference at all compared to the smallest headphone soundstage I've heard.

This seems wrong to me. 

Ie800, ultrasone dj one pro, sennheiser hd380 pro, and sennheiser ie8 all had bigger soundstage than most speakers I heared. Even better than 5.1 systems. 

I know that we all hear differently, but to this degree seems off to me. In my experience, ath m50, or sony xb700 had intimate soundstages. To the degree where separation between instruments was a problem. 

This makes me wonder what exactly do you want to hear from headphones?

Hd800 beats most good sound systems in soundstage. 

Jun 4, 2015 at 12:23 PM Post #5,483 of 6,112
  This seems wrong to me. 

Ie800, ultrasone dj one pro, sennheiser hd380 pro, and sennheiser ie8 all had bigger soundstage than most speakers I heared. Even better than 5.1 systems. 

I know that we all hear differently, but to this degree seems off to me. In my experience, ath m50, or sony xb700 had intimate soundstages. To the degree where separation between instruments was a problem. 

This makes me wonder what exactly do you want to hear from headphones?

Hd800 beats most good sound systems in soundstage. 

I heard the HD 800 just exaggerates the width of the soundstage and does not have proper proportions, in comparison to a good speaker system. Are you sure these headphones you heard that had supposedly bigger soundstages than speakers weren't merely exaggerating the distance, proportionally speaking?

The M40x I owned had a more intimate soundstage, but what I am saying is that compared to speakers, headphones all have small soundstages, at least from what I have heard so far. And I'm pretty sure the HD 700, an open headphone, has a larger soundstage than the HD 380, a closed headphone. I haven't heard the HD 380, but owned the HD 700.

Jun 4, 2015 at 1:11 PM Post #5,484 of 6,112

I heard the HD 800 just exaggerates the width of the soundstage and does not have proper proportions, in comparison to a good speaker system. Are you sure these headphones you heard that had supposedly bigger soundstages than speakers weren't merely exaggerating the distance, proportionally speaking?

The M40x I owned had a more intimate soundstage, but what I am saying is that compared to speakers, headphones all have small soundstages, at least from what I have heard so far. And I'm pretty sure the HD 700, an open headphone, has a larger soundstage than the HD 380, a closed headphone. I haven't heard the HD 380, but owned the HD 700.

Hd800 has a wide and big and deep soundstage. It does not loose contours of instruments, and separation is top notch. I would say that hd800 sounds exactly as music should sound. It is the one I am most interested in, as it is the most comfortable from all headphones ever made, and the sound is top level. In fact, I do preffer the sound with lots of treble and clear strong bass of hd800. (I would not buy LCD or STAX in general because of weight, though the sound is amazing)

Hd700 is closer to hd650 than it is to hd800. Soundstage wise, it is not that small, but smaller than what I usually use. I wanted to buy hd700 at a certain point, but I like having more treble. 

I guess that you had a very good experience with speakers. 

I owen a microlab solo 7c, logitech x-530 and genius sw-hf5.1 6000. All had a meh soundstage, and the genius had the best sound with the best details, but the bass was way off. The rest were so off from how they should had sounded that I had given up on speakers at that point. Maybe if I will invest more money in speakers, they will sound better. 

Jun 4, 2015 at 1:24 PM Post #5,485 of 6,112
  Hd800 has a wide and big and deep soundstage. It does not loose contours of instruments, and separation is top notch. I would say that hd800 sounds exactly as music should sound. It is the one I am most interested in, as it is the most comfortable from all headphones ever made, and the sound is top level. In fact, I do preffer the sound with lots of treble and clear strong bass of hd800. (I would not buy LCD or STAX in general because of weight, though the sound is amazing)

Hd700 is closer to hd650 than it is to hd800. Soundstage wise, it is not that small, but smaller than what I usually use. I wanted to buy hd700 at a certain point, but I like having more treble. 

I guess that you had a very good experience with speakers. 

I owen a microlab solo 7c, logitech x-530 and genius sw-hf5.1 6000. All had a meh soundstage, and the genius had the best sound with the best details, but the bass was way off. The rest were so off from how they should had sounded that I had given up on speakers at that point. Maybe if I will invest more money in speakers, they will sound better. 

Umm...the HD 700 has nasty, bright treble, whereas the HD 800's treble is more accurate...according to everything I have read.

No offense, but if that is all you have heard, then you have never heard a good speaker system. At the very least, you have to take measurements and do room treatments if you want to get accurate sound out of speakers. I've heard speakers in studios. There's really no comparison to headphones, at least in some respects.

Jun 4, 2015 at 1:38 PM Post #5,486 of 6,112
Blimey, where did the light hearted banter go? :)

YKYAAW you just let the music wash over you, spent too damned long listening for critical flaws...

Jun 4, 2015 at 1:56 PM Post #5,488 of 6,112
I would be inclined to go with the theory that not all headphones are accurate to use on their own merit however once you start using $1000+ reference headphones the game surely changes especially when you consider higher quality sources, gear like big SSL or Protools consoles. 

The HD800 from what I've heard are the really worth their salt and deserve some sort of accolade. Being as I am not currently in a position of hardware ownership to make valid comparisons I can only rely on what I've read and speculation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back