You Know You're an Audiophile When.. Version 2!
May 27, 2015 at 12:39 PM Post #5,371 of 6,112
  "Band." We've had no more than 3 practices so far, and we've just been trying to get covers down. All sorts of rock, Beatles, Guns n' Roses, Blink-182. We got our guitarist just this past winter, and haven't had much time to do anything cause of school and other stuff. Our guitarist is dead set on doing prog rock (which I like), but nobody other than me and him are really into it. Thing is he's a great guitarist with good gear, a drum set (I don't own my own because I have no space or money), and practice space. We all wanted to do stuff like Green Day, punk rock kind of stuff, before the guitarist joined, so meh. No recordings yet (only ones we have are of instruments), but hopefully this summer we'll get things fixed up.

Have not heard of those bands, may give them a listen tonight.

You could always compromise and mix the various styles the members like. That would make your band more original anyway.

Recommended introductory tracks:
Tristania: Opus Relinque, Crushed Dreams, Libre, Sacrilege, Exile
Lacuna Coil: Heaven's A Lie, Daylight Dancer, Trip The Darkness

May 27, 2015 at 12:55 PM Post #5,372 of 6,112

You could always compromise and mix the various styles the members like. That would make your band more original anyway.

Recommended introductory tracks:
Tristania: Opus Relinque, Crushed Dreams, Libre, Sacrilege, Exile
Lacuna Coil: Heaven's A Lie, Daylight Dancer, Trip The Darkness

One track that is great to listen to and sing from tristania is "My lost lenore"

May 27, 2015 at 7:12 PM Post #5,373 of 6,112
YKYAAW thunderstorms interrupt your music listening

Finally got all my FLAC rips on my X1, was listening to The Strokes' "Last Nite" on my Grados when booming thunder comes in. Ruined my perfectly quiet room...

May 27, 2015 at 8:08 PM Post #5,374 of 6,112
Originally Posted by TRapz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
YKYAAW thunderstorms interrupt your music listening Finally got all my FLAC rips on my X1, was listening to The Strokes' "Last Nite" on my Grados when booming thunder comes in. Ruined my perfectly quiet room...

'Tis sad, my friend. But there's always a good side. You can listen to 'Riders on the Storm' by The Doors! That way, the background noise works as an accent to the music.
And if you have a noisy neighbor, you can listen to 'Man Next Door' by Massive Attack!
biggrin.gif

May 27, 2015 at 8:40 PM Post #5,375 of 6,112
  'Tis sad, my friend. But there's always a good side. You can listen to 'Riders on the Storm' by The Doors! That way, the background noise works as an accent to the music.
And if you have a noisy neighbor, you can listen to 'Man Next Door' by Massive Attack!
biggrin.gif

Bah! My dad's Doors CD rips had file names that included the artist and album name and I was too lazy to deal with them, so I didn't put them on my X1. Twas a mistake, I've wanted to listen to The Doors a few times in the past couple weeks.

YKYAAW you want your brother out of your room only because he's too loud and interrupts your music

May 27, 2015 at 9:26 PM Post #5,376 of 6,112
Originally Posted by TRapz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
YKYAAW you want your brother out of your room only because he's too loud and interrupts your music

Psh, I don't have to worry about that. My listening vault is a mile underground, surrounded by layers of acoustic damping material. It has an electronic lock, which I have cleverly encoded with the password, "AudioTechnicaRulz." -Uh oh..the secret is out.
ph34r.gif

Wow, my dad has a ton of The Doors CDs. So our dads both love The Doors.
Thus YKYAAW you like The Doors.

May 27, 2015 at 9:54 PM Post #5,377 of 6,112
Psh, I don't have to worry about that. My listening vault is a mile underground, surrounded by layers of acoustic damping material. It has an electronic lock, which I have cleverly encoded with the password, "AudioTechnicaRulz." -Uh oh..the secret is out.:ph34r:

+1 The Doors are great. I must check out Riders of the storm on through my system and see how great it should sound.

May 28, 2015 at 6:23 AM Post #5,378 of 6,112
  Psh, I don't have to worry about that. My listening vault is a mile underground, surrounded by layers of acoustic damping material. It has an electronic lock, which I have cleverly encoded with the password, "AudioTechnicaRulz." -Uh oh..the secret is out.
ph34r.gif

I may need one of these... I'll see you all in a few months, I'm about to start digging

My dad has the 2 CD Very Best of the Doors I think; I'd like to get a few of their studio albums on CD, but I never see them at yard sales or thrift stores (which I browse often for CDs). He's a huge Deadhead, and likes a lot of 60s-80s stuff. Grew up on it because of him, so it's awesome that I can grab some of his music collection.

YKYAAW you go to yard sales and thrift stores specifically for cheap CDs
YKYAAW your iTunes gift cards have sat in your wallet for 6 months

May 28, 2015 at 11:31 AM Post #5,379 of 6,112
My dad has the 2 CD Very Best of the Doors I think; I'd like to get a few of their studio albums on CD, but I never see them at yard sales or thrift stores (which I browse often for CDs). He's a huge Deadhead, and likes a lot of 60s-80s stuff. Grew up on it because of him, so it's awesome that I can grab some of his music collection.  
YKYAAW you go to yard sales and thrift stores specifically for cheap CDs

Discogs.com, eBay.com, and Amazon.com are easy places to find rare music. Often cheap, too.

May 28, 2015 at 6:22 PM Post #5,380 of 6,112
Originally Posted by TRapz /img/forum/go_quote.gif and reddog /img/forum/go_quote.gif
[Cool stuff]

My parents are both Deadheads, they love the old stuff. Well, my dad actually likes a lot of 90's stuff as well, so he's more up to date. It's kinda weird that I don't share their taste in music. I mean, I like the older stuff, but it's just not MY stuff.
Here's a cool remix of 'Riders On the Storm' by one of my favorite bands. You may not like it because it's, like, electronic.

May 28, 2015 at 7:28 PM Post #5,381 of 6,112

Discogs.com, eBay.com, and Amazon.com are easy places to find rare music. Often cheap, too.

No credit/debit card yet unfortunately, and my mom usually doesn't like me using her credit card to buy things. Much easier to go to CD stores and stuff imo.
  My parents are both Deadheads, they love the old stuff. Well, my dad actually likes a lot of 90's stuff as well, so he's more up to date. It's kinda weird that I don't share their taste in music. I mean, I like the older stuff, but it's just not MY stuff.

I like the Grateful Dead a bit. My dad hates anything 90s that isn't Green Day or Sublime (as in, Nirvana, Pearl Jam, Bush, Staind), and I like pretty much anything 90s (especially Nirvana and Green Day). I like almost anything 50s-00s for rock, but mostly 70s and 90s.

May 28, 2015 at 7:36 PM Post #5,382 of 6,112
  No credit/debit card yet unfortunately, and my mom usually doesn't like me using her credit card to buy things. Much easier to go to CD stores and stuff imo.

I remember the days before I had a debit card. I would write down a list of albums I wanted, put cash on the paper, fold it up, put it in an envelope, and mail it to record labels, who would send me lots of CDs at awesome prices. It's much easier pressing a button to buy whatever you want, but not quite as special.

May 28, 2015 at 8:33 PM Post #5,383 of 6,112

I remember the days before I had a debit card. I would write down a list of albums I wanted, put cash on the paper, fold it up, put it in an envelope, and mail it to record labels, who would send me lots of CDs at awesome prices. It's much easier pressing a button to buy whatever you want, but not quite as special.

Woah... Can you still do that? 

I write down the albums I want, put it in my wallet next to my money, and go to my special CD store that has awesome prices when I'm in New Hampshire. I'll be there this weekend, so it's likely I'll pick up a bunch of CDs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back