You Know You're an Audiophile When.. Version 2!
May 24, 2015 at 12:55 AM Post #5,341 of 6,112
YKYAAW you experiment with modifications and ear positions to get the sound you want:

I found a simple tweak that makes the mids more upfront: move the ear pads back so your ears are near the front instead of in the middle! I also discovered that removing the gauze I put under the pads makes them sound...harsher. hehe

Update 1: Now I listened with the gauze added in again + moving my ears to the front. Instead of making the mids more upfront and sounding harsher, it just sounds more bassy and bloated. Maybe I put too much gauze in. We'll see how it sounds with half the amount of gauze...

Update 2: That did the trick! With half the amount of gauze, and my ears moved to the front, now it sounds much brighter! Kind of a good and bad thing. In this configuration, though the mids are more upfront (not necessarily upfront enough to be accurate), the treble is too upfront. But this is overall the most engaging sound I've heard from the headphone. Really glad I found something so simple and easy to help solve the problem I had with the mids, even if it's a compromise. Much of the time, the treble still isn't problematic. And that juicy bass is always there to enjoy. I :two_hearts: feeling these vibrate on my head.

I wanted the m50x anyway and I thought the blue looked great. I did pay the extra $$ just for the special color. Lol

That's my same reasoning.

May 24, 2015 at 2:23 AM Post #5,342 of 6,112
That moment when you find out that your best friend has the same birthday as you. Mind = blown.

By the way, this person is the guy who started the Abyss impressions thread. He's an HD 800 nut. hehe

But yeah, it's our birthday today!!!

May 24, 2015 at 6:50 AM Post #5,343 of 6,112
  That moment when you find out that your best friend has the same birthday as you. Mind = blown.

By the way, this person is the guy who started the Abyss impressions thread. He's an HD 800 nut. hehe

Happy birthday!

May 24, 2015 at 9:23 AM Post #5,344 of 6,112
Originally Posted by Music Alchemist /img/forum/go_quote.gif
YKYAAW you experiment with modifications and ear positions to get the sound you want:

Well, aren't you a clever..Head-fier! With my Q701, I just put my ears toward the back of the pad for moar bass and moar forward image.
I tried plastic wrap around the AD700's earpads, which gave it more bass.
Happy buffday!

May 24, 2015 at 12:25 PM Post #5,345 of 6,112
  With my Q701, I just put my ears toward the back of the pad for moar bass and moar forward image.

When I put my ears in the back of ear pads, everything generally sounds very dull. No idea what more forward image means. But the only way for the mids (and overall sound) to become more forward on my MT220 is to put my ears to the front.

May 24, 2015 at 4:34 PM Post #5,346 of 6,112
YKYAAW you sell everything (yet again) to help cover expenses and prepare for the really expensive stuff. Kinda bummed about this, actually, but I gotta pay the rent! I've noticed that amps and DACs generally sell much faster than headphones, since they have broader appeal than any particular headphone.

May 24, 2015 at 5:34 PM Post #5,347 of 6,112
YKYAAW you cannot stop buying new items even when you're already near the top of the tree... I've got somewhere near to 1.5TB of onboard DAP storage space now... Ugh...

May 24, 2015 at 5:49 PM Post #5,348 of 6,112
YKYAAW you cannot stop buying new items even when you're already near the top of the tree... I've got somewhere near to 1.5TB of onboard DAP storage space now... Ugh...

Once I sell my existing gear and have expenses taken care of for awhile, I may actually get something like an iPod touch (converting my lossless files to 256 kbps AAC for it) and easy to drive headphones -- just something to use until I can afford ultra-high-end headphones along with the Ragnarok, Yggdrasil, Smyth Realiser A8, etc.

May 24, 2015 at 6:01 PM Post #5,349 of 6,112

YKYAAW you buy new items even though you should really spend on something else your money, like buying headphones instead of buying materials for a university project, because there is a great deal on a pair you had been wanting for some time.

May 24, 2015 at 6:30 PM Post #5,350 of 6,112
  YKYAAW you sell everything (yet again) to help cover expenses and prepare for the really expensive stuff. Kinda bummed about this, actually, but I gotta pay the rent! I've noticed that amps and DACs generally sell much faster than headphones, since they have broader appeal than any particular headphone.

YKYAAW you want to buy Alchemist's Fulla but have no reason to

I really want the Fulla and have plenty of money, but I rarely listen from my computer and so there's no reason to get it. 

May 25, 2015 at 10:57 AM Post #5,353 of 6,112
Originally Posted by DonutDeflector /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You're Fulla Schiit!. . .This Schiit is bananas!. . .What a pile of Schiit!

YKYAAW you know all of the Schiit advertisements.

Originally Posted by DonutDeflector /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My brother has the M-50x in black. . .'Cause once you go black you never go back.

YKYAAW you don't buy high-end headphones because they don't come in black. All except the LCD-X and those Oppos.

May 25, 2015 at 11:08 AM Post #5,355 of 6,112

ColorWare HD 800 comes in any custom paint job you want, including jet black or carbon black. And the Abyss AB-1266 is black.

If i am ever to get a pair of hd800, i think that an entire black one would be so awesome!

Yet, i cannot stop but wonder if it affects SQ in any way.

I see that you are back to railgun.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back