You Know You're an Audiophile When.. Version 2!
May 29, 2015 at 4:20 PM Post #5,387 of 6,112
Originally Posted by Music Alchemist /img/forum/go_quote.gif
YKYAAW the phrase "audibly transparent" irks you.

The only thing audibly transparent to me are...glass speakers. If they don't exist, someone had better invent them.

Originally Posted by Dobrescu George /img/forum/go_quote.gif
YKYAAW you stop from doing anything else when receiving your new IEMs and spend a few days just listening to them..

I wish IEMs were like that for me. I got my Monster Turbines, and I like them. But my left ear has a strange curve that causes me to lose all the treble and mids no matter what I do D=.

May 29, 2015 at 4:38 PM Post #5,388 of 6,112
  I wish IEMs were like that for me. I got my Monster Turbines, and I like them. But my left ear has a strange curve that causes me to lose all the treble and mids no matter what I do D=.

Ie800 man. Nothing compares. 

In fact, sennheiser hd800 and ultrasone signature dj and ultrasone dj one pro (with EQ) compares.

May 29, 2015 at 4:40 PM Post #5,389 of 6,112
Originally Posted by Dobrescu George /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ie800 man. Nothing compares.  In fact, sennheiser hd800 and ultrasone signature dj and ultrasone dj one pro (with EQ) compares.

Is that why it has an 800 in the name?
blink.gif

May 29, 2015 at 5:18 PM Post #5,390 of 6,112
  Is that why it has an 800 in the name?
blink.gif

I have no ideea. 

But it is hand made, just like hd800. 

amazing piece of technology, using helmholtz resonators really changes the sound in a good way.

Soundstage is bigger than most heqadphones out on the market, and it has pinpoint precision.

It is not linear/neutral. You can actually hear the bass and treble, and keep a very good, clear, undistorted midrange. 

I am not sure where I read this, but I do remember reading that some of the people who developed hd800 worked at ie800. But do not call me on this statement, I remember it vaguely.

May 29, 2015 at 5:47 PM Post #5,391 of 6,112
@Dobrescu George

So you just recently got the IE 800, eh? Congrats! I've heard great things about it.

The only thing audibly transparent to me are...glass speakers. If they don't exist, someone had better invent them.

Audibly transparent refers to gear that either sounds the same as each other or reproduces audio perfectly. Since most audiophiles experience very different-sounding gear, with none of it coming close to perfection, this irks me, since those who talk about audible transparency are implying that cheap amps and DACs are already perfect and the expensive ones don't provide an improvement -- and if they do, they are just coloring the sound, unlike the perfect cheap stuff. XD

May 29, 2015 at 6:06 PM Post #5,392 of 6,112
  @Dobrescu George

So you just recently got the IE 800, eh? Congrats! I've heard great things about it.

Audibly transparent refers to gear that either sounds the same as each other or reproduces audio perfectly. Since most audiophiles experience very different-sounding gear, with none of it coming close to perfection, this irks me, since those who talk about audible transparency are implying that cheap amps and DACs are already perfect and the expensive ones don't provide an improvement -- and if they do, they are just coloring the sound, unlike the perfect cheap stuff. XD

Thanks!

It is amazing!

I would totally recommend them to you! But they are not linear nor neutral Lots of badd and lots of treble! Everything sounds clear. I stopped for not from my search for headphones / IEMs. Ie800 sounds just like a miniature Hd800. But not a miniature, they sound very close to hd800 but in a pocket.

I am yet to come across a completley linear headphone / IEM. Maybe he-560. 

One thing is for sure, the theory stated by Sennheiser that a helmholts resonator will act as a treble spike attenuator is correct. You can hear the cymbals all the way, without the usual 10Khz spike. 

P.S. This might interest you more than anyone, @Music Alchemist  : In ie800 threads, a person who owns both ie800 and stax 009 said that ie800 is the closest thing he heared to 009. Though, 009 is more linear in response. But ie800 holds that clarity and detail. I think I love more a signature that has much more bass and more treble, but here is a matter of taste
biggrin.gif

May 29, 2015 at 6:10 PM Post #5,393 of 6,112
  Thanks!

It is amazing!

I would totally recommend them to you! But they are not linear nor neutral Lots of badd and lots of treble! Everything sounds clear. I stopped for not from my search for headphones / IEMs. Ie800 sounds just like a miniature Hd800. But not a miniature, they sound very close to hd800 but in a pocket.

I am yet to come across a completley linear headphone / IEM. Maybe he-560. 

One thing is for sure, the theory stated by Sennheiser that a helmholts resonator will act as a treble spike attenuator is correct. You can hear the cymbals all the way, without the usual 10Khz spike. 

P.S. This might interest you more than anyone, @Music Alchemist  : In ie800 threads, a person who owns both ie800 and stax 009 said that ie800 is the closest thing he heared to 009. Though, 009 is more linear in response. But ie800 holds that clarity and detail. I think I love more a signature that has much more bass and more treble, but here is a matter of taste
biggrin.gif

That's cool. I also heard that the Logitech Ultimate Ears Reference Monitors are similar to the SR-009. But as I have stated numerous times in the past, I only plan on getting IEMs after I have all the full-size headphones I want -- and probably only after I actually need IEMs for portable use.

May 29, 2015 at 9:56 PM Post #5,396 of 6,112
Originally Posted by DonutDeflector /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I wonder if Schiit will ever make a DIY kit...

[Replace Sennheiser/Woo amps with Schiit]

Originally Posted by Music Alchemist /img/forum/go_quote.gif
YKYAAW noticing that the knob in the shower is precisely in the middle makes you begin to ponder neutrality in headphones.

Yeah, I don't want my water being so warm that it's unbalanced. But if it's cold, it'll be too analytical. But it's still transparent either way.
I was just joking earlier about the transparency stuff =P. Audio transparency is a subjective thing, as everything colors sound. Sound even colors itself! And no sound ever sounds the same, etc.

May 29, 2015 at 10:04 PM Post #5,397 of 6,112
YKYAAW you spend months trying to decide between the STAX SR-009 and HIFIMAN HE1000. (But want them both regardless.)

Yeah, I don't want my water being so warm that it's unbalanced. But if it's cold, it'll be too analytical. But it's still transparent either way.

In the middle position, it was slightly warm. But that's a coloration of the designers. hehe

Water is only partially transparent. Just put an object in a glass to see how the water distorts your vision of it.

YKYAAW you compare water to sound like this. haha

May 29, 2015 at 10:46 PM Post #5,398 of 6,112
So I calculated the minimum amount it would cost to collect all the high-end electrostatic headphone amplifiers (to use with electrostatic headphones like the STAX SR-009 and Sennheiser Orpheus HE 90) I have my eye on. These prices include costs of desired upgrades.

Cavalli Liquid Lightning 2: $4,250
DIY T2 (based on STAX SRM-T2): $10,000+
Eddie Current Electra: $4,000
HeadAmp Aristaeus: $3,980
HeadAmp Blue Hawaii SE: $6,596
Ray Samuels Emmeline A-10 Thunderbolt II: $6,500
Woo WES: $7,890

Only $43,216! How could I have missed this great deal all my life?!
eek.gif

May 29, 2015 at 10:57 PM Post #5,399 of 6,112
So I calculated the minimum amount it would cost to collect all the high-end electrostatic headphone amplifiers (to use with electrostatic headphones like the STAX SR-009 and Sennheiser Orpheus HE 90) I have my eye on. These prices include costs of desired upgrades.

Cavalli Liquid Lightning 2: $4,250

DIY T2 (based on STAX SRM-T2): $10,000+

Eddie Current Electra: $4,000

HeadAmp Aristaeus: $3,980

HeadAmp Blue Hawaii SE: $6,596

Ray Samuels Emmeline A-10 Thunderbolt II: $6,500

Woo WES: $7,890

Only $43,216! How could I have missed this great deal all my life?! :eek:

+1 lol make your future, be your future.

May 29, 2015 at 11:08 PM Post #5,400 of 6,112
+1 lol make your future, be your future.

Even I'm not crazy enough to actually buy all those. (But I can't deny that I'd like to if money wasn't an object. hehe.) It's mainly just curiosity, you know? The BHSE seems to be the most uncolored amp from that list, but that's only going from what I have read online. I'm wondering if the Aristaeus would be a better investment, though, since that is the amp I would want to use with the Orpheus HE 90. (The Aristaeus can be used with both the HE 90 and SR-009, but the most recent version of the BHSE cannot be used with the HE 90.) The DIY T2 is regarded by some as the ultimate electrostat amp, and it can be used with both aforementioned headphones, but only a few people in the world can even build it, and I think the cost for the parts alone is over $10K. On the other hand, by the time I can afford to spend five figures on audio gear, even the craziest amps wouldn't be a roadblock.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back