You Know You're an Audiophile When.. Version 2!
May 17, 2015 at 12:17 PM Post #5,268 of 6,112
YKYAAW Your friend says your iPod must be broken, because it says that I have 500 songs, and those 500 songs take up 9.7 gigs, and he has 500 songs and they take up only 2 gigs...

YKYAAW you know that 256 kbps AAC is indistinguishable from lossless, yet keep nearly all your music in lossless anyway because you have 12 TB of space.

May 17, 2015 at 4:21 PM Post #5,269 of 6,112
Originally Posted by Music Alchemist /img/forum/go_quote.gif
YKYAAW you know that 256 kbps AAC is indistinguishable from lossless, yet keep nearly all your music in lossless anyway because you have 12 TB of space.

CM(me)KHAAW he keeps all of his music in FLAC, because it's like having the CD itself. Wait..but they're just regular CDs. Are regular CDs not lossy compared to SACDs?

Yes, I prefer to be called Alchemist, actually.

So I probably couldn't call you Alchemisty or Alchy, right? It would be too extreme.
blink.gif

Originally Posted by Tim-E /img/forum/go_quote.gif
YKYAAW Your friend says your iPod must be broken, because it says that I have 500 songs, and those 500 songs take up 9.7 gigs, and he has 500 songs and they take up only 2 gigs...

Good one, but... YKYAAW you can only fit one song on your ipod due to its incredible file size.
Or you don't use an ipod at all. Instead, you use this doohickey: http://www.tera-player.com/

May 17, 2015 at 4:33 PM Post #5,270 of 6,112
  CM(me)KHAAW he keeps all of his music in FLAC, because it's like having the CD itself. Wait..but they're just regular CDs. Are regular CDs not lossy compared to SACDs?

So I probably couldn't call you Alchemisty or Alchy, right? It would be too extreme.
blink.gif

Good one, but... YKYAAW you can only fit one song on your ipod due to its incredible file size.
Or you don't use an ipod at all. Instead, you use this doohickey: http://www.tera-player.com/

Format is irrelevant. The only thing that matters is the music production process, as in the recording, mix, master, etc. If it's the same master, it will sound the same, whether it's CD, DSD, SACD, high-res PCM, 16-bit lossless, 256 kbps AAC, etc.

Read this article for enlightenment: https://xiph.org/~xiphmont/demo/neil-young.html

Generally, this thread is about stuff that relates to the person writing it, and I'm pretty sure you don't own that Tera-Player.
tongue.gif

YKYAAW the Schiit Ragnarok and Yggdrasil are the only source components you plan on upgrading to anytime soon.

May 17, 2015 at 4:45 PM Post #5,271 of 6,112
Format is irrelevant. The only thing that matters is the music production process, as in the recording, mix, master, etc. . . Generally, this thread is about stuff that relates to the person writing it, and I'm pretty sure you don't own that Tera-Player.
tongue.gif

YKYAAW the Schiit Ragnarok and Yggdrasil are the only source components you plan on upgrading to anytime soon.

I seee. Mastery does come first. One could release a "poor quality" FLAC or a "high quality" 128kbps .mp3.
I always thought one could exaggerate in this thread, haha. I'm imagining someone who is the biggest audiophile ever.
If a person started out with the Yggy/Raggy, they wouldn't even have to spend money on lower-end products =O! This could save them money. But there's no fun in that.
frown.gif

YKYAAW you enjoy the slow journey of upgrading Amps, cans, etc.

May 18, 2015 at 12:46 PM Post #5,277 of 6,112

You sure do love your IEMs. ^‿^

The JH Layla seems to be one of the best. I know someone who likes it more than the HD 800 and K812. But I doubt it could beat the HE1000.

I am sure that i should try he1000, but it will never be up for testing in Romania. Seems a very rare headphone.

Layla is pretty much out of what i could afford at the moment, but i am sure it is a pretty good contender to the best universal, and if i will ever have the ocasion, i should test it. 

For now, i am trying to get enough money to buy a second hand ie800, which i tested and i liked. 

EDIT: IEMs are not necessarly better than headphones, but it sure is nice being able to enjoy music without having something on your head. Sennheiser is still to produce a closed back version of hd800, so until then i must use the mind blowing sounding ultrasone, but they are pretty heavy, so from time to time it is lovely to have iems.

May 18, 2015 at 3:04 PM Post #5,280 of 6,112

The closed-back McIntosh MHP1000 is said to have a similar sound signature to the HD 800.

those are huge cans!
  I have IEMs (Shure SE215s), they just aren't as good and aren't my shiny new Grados 
tongue.gif

i have zero experience with shure iems, but i think that you should give sennheiser iems a try!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back