You Know You're an Audiophile When.. Version 2!
May 16, 2015 at 5:43 PM Post #5,251 of 6,112

So share your impressions with us!

I am about to buy a Yamaha HPH-MT220. (Originally retailed for $399, but is now $150!) Want to save up for the HIFIMAN HE1000.

The midrange is very much forwards, which I like. Guitars are very, very clear, and bass is pretty much where I like it. Listening to "High Voltage" by AC/DC now, really shows off the guitars and how upfront/clear they are, which is my favorite part of these. Separation is nice, and I'm liking the open feel. Easy to drive, the cable is incredibly thick, and comfort is good (unlike what most say about Grados). Build quality isn't bad at all, though it's not something I'd throw around. Overall, I'm really liking them. Can't wait until I can get to a really quiet place (my room at 4:00am) and listen to some acoustic stuff; "Trains" by Porcupine Tree was great with these.

Edit: Convinced these were built for AC/DC.

May 16, 2015 at 5:45 PM Post #5,252 of 6,112
  The midrange is very much forwards, which I like. Guitars are very, very clear, and bass is pretty much where I like it. Listening to "High Voltage" by AC/DC now, really shows off the guitars and how upfront/clear they are, which is my favorite part of these. Separation is nice, and I'm liking the open feel. Easy to drive, the cable is incredibly thick, and comfort is good (unlike what most say about Grados). Build quality isn't bad at all, though it's not something I'd throw around. Overall, I'm really liking them. Can't wait until I can get to a really quiet place (my room at 4:00am) and listen to some acoustic stuff; "Trains" by Porcupine Tree was great with these.

Edit: Convinced these were built for AC/DC.

Yeah, Grados are very well regarded for rock and metal. I still haven't heard any!

May 16, 2015 at 5:52 PM Post #5,253 of 6,112

Yeah, Grados are very well regarded for rock and metal. I still haven't heard any!

SR80e is only $100... 
biggrin.gif
 Sacrifice your wallet to the Grado gods

If you like guitars forwards, these will give it to you. Bass doesn't take center stage (on 80is at least) but it isn't way in the back, which I'm enjoying. I'd recommend them if anyone listens primarily to rock/metal and is looking for something cheap or just looking to try Grados.

May 16, 2015 at 5:56 PM Post #5,254 of 6,112
  SR80e is only $100... 
biggrin.gif
 Sacrifice your wallet to the Grado gods

If you like guitars forwards, these will give it to you. Bass doesn't take center stage (on 80is at least) but it isn't way in the back, which I'm enjoying. I'd recommend them if anyone listens primarily to rock/metal and is looking for something cheap or just looking to try Grados.

Maybe someday...but look at the huge wish list on my profile. I have other priorities. lol. (And I mentioned a few posts ago that I want to buy the Yamaha HPH-MT220 next.)

YKYAAW you have a huge headphone wish list.

May 16, 2015 at 5:58 PM Post #5,255 of 6,112

Maybe someday...but look at the huge wish list on my profile. I have other priorities. lol. (And I mentioned a few posts ago that I want to buy the Yamaha HPH-MT220 next.)

YKYAAW you have a huge headphone wish list.

Yikes!

YKYAAW you wish you could be rich, not to live in a mansion or own fancy cars, but to buy headphones

May 16, 2015 at 6:21 PM Post #5,258 of 6,112
YKYAAW you kidnap Metallica, herd them into a studio at gunpoint and tell them that nobody gets out alive 'til they remaster 'Death Magnetic' so it doesn't sound like a bucket of turds.

Not that I have actually done this. You can't pin anything on me. I was miles away at the time. And, in my defence, I did make them sandwiches at lunchtime...

May 16, 2015 at 6:26 PM Post #5,259 of 6,112
  YKYAAW you kidnap Metallica, herd them into a studio at gunpoint and tell them that nobody gets out alive 'til they remaster 'Death Magnetic' so it doesn't sound like a bucket of turds.

Not that I have actually done this. You can't pin anything on me. I was miles away at the time. And, in my defence, I did make them sandwiches at lunchtime...

You're sharing the remaster with me right? And a lock of James' hair?

May 16, 2015 at 6:32 PM Post #5,260 of 6,112
MAFC (Music Alchemist Fan Club) members: I am slowly getting back on top -- of the post rankings, that is!

It appears that the three top posters who went crazy with the super-short game thread posts have have begun to settle down. I've been the top poster (in terms of quantity, not quality) for a few days in a row now. Already #1 for the week. #4 for the past 30 days...and I noticed that the others above me haven't posted as much as they used to, so I may have the crown once again in a week or two!

May 17, 2015 at 2:17 AM Post #5,261 of 6,112
YKYAAW you consider buying beyerdynamic dt-770 headphone cushion replacements for your sony mdr-v900s that you shelved for a pair of q701s but refuse to spend the 15 dollar handling fee, so you troll beyerdynamics mostly spoken german facebook page for half an hr looking for non-existent discount codes

May 17, 2015 at 2:26 AM Post #5,262 of 6,112
YKYAAW you use JPLAYmini 6 + Fidelizer 6.7! This is among the two most realistic-sounding audio software systems I have heard so far. (The other being HQPlayer, which JPLAY can integrate into...but my HQP trial expired, so I can't compare directly now.)

On that note, YKYAAW you know about the very real differences in sound between audio players.

May 17, 2015 at 3:03 AM Post #5,264 of 6,112

How do you like JPLAY?

I believe this question was answered in my post in which I described how I liked JPLAY. XD

Is it worth the price?

I am using the very generous free trial. The only limitation is that it inserts a few seconds of silence every few minutes. If I was richer, I'd gladly pay for it.

May 17, 2015 at 8:35 AM Post #5,265 of 6,112
Originally Posted by Music Alchemist /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am using the very generous free trial. The only limitation is that it inserts a few seconds of silence every few minutes. If I was richer, I'd gladly pay for it.

You kn-- you're a- aud---ile --en you don'- m-nd hav--g si-enc- put int- your m-si-, as long a- yo- g-t hi-her qu-li-y sou-d.
Come back when you're a little..Mmm..richer.

This post actually made me LMAO, Alchemist(may I call you that?) Hahaha

Users who are viewing this thread

Back