You Know You're an Audiophile When.. Version 2!
Feb 8, 2015 at 12:44 PM Post #4,261 of 6,112
Ykyaaw you have a near religious experience standing in an electronics store. Just walked into hhgregg to try out the cans and kill some time. Salesman comes over and asks what I need. Offhand I mention I'm looking for a preamp for my crown d75, start discussing, say "well it is over 30 years old". Of course this pup needs an education on how important the d75 was.
He lights up seeing an opportunity to sell me a " tube powered sound bar". (Now I had written tubes off as not worth the trouble without ever giving them a fair shake)
So I humor him, walk over and select a little miles Davis. Whoa.
The sound bar had so many flaws (for the cost) but dat smooth tube sound has me reconsidering my stance.

Speaking of salesmen...

YKYAAW this is one of the most laughable things you've ever heard. (Pasted from a story in a PM.)

I gave them a call and the tech rep there said that he used some formula to determine why the CD-Quality version sounded louder. He basically divided the bit depth by the sample rate for both tracks to get the db level. So the 24/192 original has a volume level of .125 DBs, where the 16/44.1 downsampled copy has a volume level of .36 DBs. So his explanation was that since the Redbook copy had a higher db level, that's why it was louder.

(The 16/44.1 files were converted from 24/192 files, so there shouldn't have been a difference in volume, and wasn't, except on a portable device.)

Feb 8, 2015 at 1:06 PM Post #4,263 of 6,112

What are you using it all for, if you don't mind divulging?

I just want to have all my bases covered. I hope to have whatever amp I need as I add to my small but growing headphone collection. As an example I like using the Vali and my HD598s when listening to Classical Violin Concertos. I use the Asgard and the HD650s for Rock and Metal. It's nice to have a choice.

I'll post an updated picture next week when I get all this Schiit connected. LOL

Feb 8, 2015 at 2:15 PM Post #4,264 of 6,112
  I just want to have all my bases covered. I hope to have whatever amp I need as I add to my small but growing headphone collection. As an example I like using the Vali and my HD598s when listening to Classical Violin Concertos. I use the Asgard and the HD650s for Rock and Metal. It's nice to have a choice.

I'll post an updated picture next week when I get all this Schiit connected. LOL

What about the multiple SYSes? That's what piqued my curiosity.

Here is a list of metal bands I like.

Feb 8, 2015 at 2:38 PM Post #4,265 of 6,112

What about the multiple SYSes? That's what piqued my curiosity.

Here is a list of metal bands I like.

I use the SYS in a reversed configuration. That is, one input, two outputs. It takes several to get signals to all those amps. LOL

I also have an A/V switch that has one input and four outputs.

I'll be building an A / B switch for headphone comparisons. I know my way around a soldering iron.

Edit: That's quite a list of bands BTW. I'll investigate a few. I'm pretty new to Metal.

Feb 8, 2015 at 2:42 PM Post #4,266 of 6,112
  I use the SYS in a reversed configuration. That is, one input, two outputs. It takes several to get signals to all those amps. LOL

I also have an A/V switch that has one input and four outputs.

I'll be building an A / B switch for headphone comparisons. I know my way around a soldering iron.

Oh, jeez! So you just connect all your gear at once instead of switching cables. I'm imagining you rapidly switching between setups as you go through playlists. lol

I would probably only use it for listening tests between components, and I may need other gear for that too.

Feb 8, 2015 at 3:35 PM Post #4,267 of 6,112
YKYAAW you spend more on headphones than your phone...which you won't be using the headphones with

Ergh. I'm looking for a phone under $100 (not my choice, parent's), unlocked. Everything seems like junk, and none seem to be getting Lollipop.

Feb 8, 2015 at 3:49 PM Post #4,269 of 6,112

If you sell your soul to sign a long-term contract with a qualified service provider, you could get a free iPhone. [insert hilarious emoticon here]

If you sell your soul to a qualified service provider, you could get a free iPhone. FTFY.

Yuck. Contracts are a huge no. Also, phones are impossible to look for. There's way too many, 90% are junk, and prices seem to change by the hour.

Feb 8, 2015 at 3:52 PM Post #4,270 of 6,112
  If you sell your soul to a qualified service provider, you could get a free iPhone. FTFY.

Yuck. Contracts are a huge no. Also, phones are impossible to look for. There's way too many, 90% are junk, and prices seem to change by the hour.

I got a free phone with no financial contract...but I'm special. ^_^

What are you looking for in a phone anyway? I rarely use them.

Feb 8, 2015 at 3:56 PM Post #4,271 of 6,112

Oh, jeez! So you just connect all your gear at once instead of switching cables. I'm imagining you rapidly switching between setups as you go through playlists. lol

I would probably only use it for listening tests between components, and I may need other gear for that too.

I'm planing to use the Modi 2 Uber as a dedicated DAC for the Lyr 1. No other inputs, just a nice clean path from my CDP and laptop. I'll use that as my reference.

Feb 8, 2015 at 5:36 PM Post #4,272 of 6,112
YKYAAW... Ahh, I got nothing :frowning2:

Have you looked into Nokia?

Feb 8, 2015 at 5:47 PM Post #4,273 of 6,112
YKYAAW you dig out a $500 headphone you bought several years ago, and barely ever used - only to realise that it's actually pretty darned good.

Feb 8, 2015 at 5:58 PM Post #4,274 of 6,112
YKYAAW you dig out a $500 headphone you bought several years ago, and barely ever used - only to realise that it's actually pretty darned good.

Took ya long enough. :p

YKYAAW you feel guilty listening to your favorite songs on the car speakers, because it sounds so much worse than on your headphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back