You Know You're an Audiophile When.. Version 2!
Feb 7, 2015 at 8:07 PM Post #4,248 of 6,112
I'm not saying that; they are. Or rather, they are saying that the DACs in affordable equipment already reproduce audio perfectly, and anything that sounds different is coloring the sound, which is not desirable from a high-fidelity standpoint. On the other hand, I've read a lot about DAC design and do not agree with them. I believe that some of the more expensive DACs get closer to reproducing the audio accurately. I have not seen conclusive proof either way. Maybe someday I will come to my own conclusion, after acquiring more experience.

Well yeah, I want directing that at you I apologize.
That's still a very interesting way to look at it. I agree to an extent because once you reach a certain price point you're spending a lot of money for less so (like going from the 90% perfect to 100% perfect)

Feb 7, 2015 at 8:12 PM Post #4,249 of 6,112
Well yeah, I want directing that at you I apologize.
That's still a very interesting way to look at it. I agree to an extent because once you reach a certain price point you're spending a lot of money for less so (like going from the 90% perfect to 100% perfect)

What confuses me, though, are the endless impressions and reviews praising the superior sound of high-end DACs. I find it hard to believe that all those people are simply deluded. And I don't even want to spell out the nasty implications of what the skeptics are really saying.

Feb 7, 2015 at 8:42 PM Post #4,250 of 6,112

I will receive the Focal Spirit Professional and Philips SHP9500 in a few days, so I'll see what improvements I hear on that song with those soon.

By the way, you should list your gear on your profile/signature! :)

Ohhh the Focal Spirit Professional, I hear (not first hand) that they are quite the detail retrieving puppies! If they don't recess the bass then minipops 67 [120.2] could sound really interesting through them, please post impressions when you get them :)

YKYAAW you go see the impressive set ups head-fiers have and become insecure about your gear...naw, I'm joking XD I don't have much in terms of audio gear: running a pair of D5ks straight from my Asus Rog laptop. My D5ks are very analog sounding and they are extremely easy to drive, just wished that I could tighten up the bass a tad...also I have a pair of JH13pro on the way. Still hunting for a DAP and a DAC/amp that I can lug around in my backpack along with my laptop (move around a lot). 

Feb 7, 2015 at 8:47 PM Post #4,251 of 6,112
  Ohhh the Focal Spirit Professional, I hear (not first hand) that they are quite the detail retrieving puppies! If they don't recess the bass then minipops 67 [120.2] could sound really interesting through them, please post impressions when you get them :)

Here is the main impressions thread: http://www.head-fi.org/t/702029/focal-spirit-professional-impressions-thread

I will probably publish a full-length review in the Head Gear section, though.

Feb 8, 2015 at 9:42 AM Post #4,253 of 6,112
YKYAAW you realize you have five head amps...........and only one head.

Feb 8, 2015 at 11:35 AM Post #4,255 of 6,112
  YKYAAW you realize you have five head amps...........and only one head.

I've seen your posts before, but only now realized you're a Schiit collector!
biggrin.gif

Do any of the more affordable / less powerful models still offer something unique enough to keep them? (Not counting tubes.)

Feb 8, 2015 at 11:57 AM Post #4,256 of 6,112

I've seen your posts before, but only now realized you're a Schiit collector!
biggrin.gif

Do any of the more affordable / less powerful models still offer something unique enough to keep them? (Not counting tubes.)

I'm starting to think the Magni 1 is a bit superfluous. LOL
L3000.gif
  But, I like the Vali a lot with my HD598s.

Feb 8, 2015 at 12:22 PM Post #4,258 of 6,112
I'm starting to think the Magni 1 is a bit superfluous. LOL
L3000.gif
  But, I like the Vali a lot with my HD598s.

I only have the Magni 2 Uber and Modi 2. I may get the Yggdrasil, but would only keep it if I can definitely hear a difference. I was going to get the Ragnarok too, but since I switched priorities to electrostatic headphones, I may not get it unless I add high-end planar magnetics and so on to the collection after the fact. I also have my eye on the Wyrd, which some people say improves sound quality even when there aren't major USB power issues. The SYS could come in handy for volume-matched comparisons of components, but I may need more features.

Feb 8, 2015 at 12:30 PM Post #4,259 of 6,112
Ykyaaw you have a near religious experience standing in an electronics store. Just walked into hhgregg to try out the cans and kill some time. Salesman comes over and asks what I need. Offhand I mention I'm looking for a preamp for my crown d75, start discussing, say "well it is over 30 years old". Of course this pup needs an education on how important the d75 was.
He lights up seeing an opportunity to sell me a " tube powered sound bar". (Now I had written tubes off as not worth the trouble without ever giving them a fair shake)
So I humor him, walk over and select a little miles Davis. Whoa.
The sound bar had so many flaws (for the cost) but dat smooth tube sound has me reconsidering my stance.

Feb 8, 2015 at 12:34 PM Post #4,260 of 6,112

I only have the Magni 2 Uber and Modi 2. I may get the Yggdrasil, but would only keep it if I can definitely hear a difference. I was going to get the Ragnarok too, but since I switched priorities to electrostatic headphones, I may not get it unless I add high-end planar magnetics and so on to the collection after the fact. I also have my eye on the Wyrd, which some people say improves sound quality even when there aren't major USB power issues. The SYS could come in handy for volume-matched comparisons of components, but I may need more features.

I just ordered a Modi 2 U and another SYS. I needed another to keep all this Schiit in check. LOL

Users who are viewing this thread

Back