You Know You're an Audiophile When.. Version 2!
Jan 11, 2015 at 10:39 AM Post #3,826 of 6,112
  Yeah but, see, you said if nobody wants it you'll keep it. But me and him want it, so I'll bid $2! 
biggrin.gif

Oh, you jokesters. I meant if no one gives me a good offer.

Jan 11, 2015 at 3:37 PM Post #3,829 of 6,112

You could always sell some of your stuff...but it's a rather desirable collector's item, so it may be gone before then.

I'm kidding 
tongue.gif
 I'm in the market for an open-backed headphone, but I think I'll be keeping my old Shure SRH440s for recording purposes, and the rest of my stuff is mostly new and stuff I use. I shouldn't need anything more than $100, and I probably wouldn't be able to drive the HD590s anyways (those are 300 ohms, right?). I wanted HD558s, but the price has gone up by about $40 recently, and I don't see why; for $10 more now, you could get the HD598.  

Jan 11, 2015 at 3:43 PM Post #3,830 of 6,112
  I'm kidding 
tongue.gif
 I'm in the market for an open-backed headphone, but I think I'll be keeping my old Shure SRH440s for recording purposes, and the rest of my stuff is mostly new and stuff I use. I shouldn't need anything more than $100, and I probably wouldn't be able to drive the HD590s anyways (those are 300 ohms, right?). I wanted HD558s, but the price has gone up by about $40 recently, and I don't see why; for $10 more now, you could get the HD598.  

The HD 590 is 120 ohms.

Here are the lowest prices I see on Amazon:

HD 558 new: $125
HD 558 used: $82
HD 598 new: $144
HD 598 used: $122

If you search the for sale forums here, there are probably even better deals.

Oh, and I'm not sure how the 598 and 558 compare; I only heard the 558.

Jan 11, 2015 at 3:56 PM Post #3,831 of 6,112

The HD 590 is 120 ohms.

Here are the lowest prices I see on Amazon:

HD 558 new: $125
HD 558 used: $82
HD 598 new: $144
HD 598 used: $122

If you search the for sale forums here, there are probably even better deals.

Oh, and I'm not sure how the 598 and 558 compare; I only heard the 558.

you are going to have a very hard time making a difference between the two. the entire 5XX series, [new ones] sound pretty much the same, no matter how you look at it. bet bid would be the most expensive, but even in a very quiet listening room, where i was totally alone, with my player, i had a hard time making a difference. they all have the same driver, so the only difference is the cups, and how they are opened.

Jan 11, 2015 at 6:12 PM Post #3,833 of 6,112
  you are going to have a very hard time making a difference between the two. the entire 5XX series, [new ones] sound pretty much the same, no matter how you look at it. bet bid would be the most expensive, but even in a very quiet listening room, where i was totally alone, with my player, i had a hard time making a difference. they all have the same driver, so the only difference is the cups, and how they are opened.

Even the HD518? It's a lot cheaper ($80 vs $140 for an HD558), but I assumed it wouldn't be up to par with the others in the series, it having seemingly been the least popular of them.

Jan 11, 2015 at 6:16 PM Post #3,835 of 6,112

You're generalizing. Perhaps a few models in the 5XX line fit some of your description, but certainly not all. I doubt any of them really sound the same.

Jan 11, 2015 at 7:19 PM Post #3,836 of 6,112
I don't quite know where to ask this and don't want to make a new thread here, but does anyone think Neil Young might show up on Head-Fi at some point? His Pono player just came out (I think? Or is coming out?), and it would be cool to see him around here. Even more awesome to talk to him. 

Jan 12, 2015 at 8:15 AM Post #3,838 of 6,112
i listened to 5XX series, 598 und 558, and they sounded the same. exactly. 518 i am not sure if i tried, but i understood that the drivers should be the same. there were some threads around for drivers on that series that prooven this point. i promise to listen when i will go to audio shop to see how is it.

Jan 12, 2015 at 11:05 AM Post #3,839 of 6,112
YKYAAW you notice a slew of original STAX SR-007s being sold on the for sale forum.

i listened to 5XX series, 598 und 558, and they sounded the same. exactly. 518 i am not sure if i tried, but i understood that the drivers should be the same. there were some threads around for drivers on that series that prooven this point. i promise to listen when i will go to audio shop to see how is it.

What do you mean by "5XX series"? If you mean all the Sennheiser models that are called HD 500-something, then they definitely do not all sound the same - or at least the 590 and 558 don't. What you really mean is that on the systems you used, with the songs you heard, with whatever headphones you heard, you did not hear a difference. Other people have.

Now that I think about it, the way you worded it may just mean that you only heard those two headphones. That is not the entire 5XX series. They have many, many headphones in that series, and some of them are well known to sound quite different. So the most you can say is that those two didn't sound different to you.

Jan 12, 2015 at 11:45 AM Post #3,840 of 6,112

What do you mean by "5XX series"? If you mean all the Sennheiser models that are called HD 500-something, then they definitely do not all sound the same - or at least the 590 and 558 don't. What you really mean is that on the systems you used, with the songs you heard, with whatever headphones you heard, you did not hear a difference. Other people have.

Now that I think about it, the way you worded it may just mean that you only heard those two headphones. That is not the entire 5XX series. They have many, many headphones in that series, and some of them are well known to sound quite different. So the most you can say is that those two didn't sound different to you.

I believe he means the current line of HD5XX headphones, the ones still in production. I know for sure those have the same drivers, but I was pretty sure the differently designed housings made a big difference in the sound, as it should. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back