You know you have too many headphones when . . .
Jan 14, 2010 at 5:25 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

ericj

Headphoneus Supremus
. . . you actually forget that you own a particular pair of headphones, that you actually do like.

A couple weeks ago our field engineers set up some temporary servers in the empty cubes next to me because they need to document an install procedure for a scenario they'll have to install for a customer soon. They also need them running so they can access them remotely for a reference when they're on-site.

The constant whine is too much, so I decided to bring an isolating headphone instead of the A/250's I've been bringing to work for the last six months or so.

So for the last two weeks I've been muttering to myself about how my DT770-80 really isn't what I'm into anymore. How they're bassier than i prefer these days, and the midrange isn't what I've come to love from some other headphones.

And wishing i had some other comfortable closed headphone with non-sweaty pads to bring to work until these servers get out of here.

I just now recalled that I own a pair of DT250-80.

Jan 14, 2010 at 5:26 PM Post #2 of 25
......you have to build bigger stands to fit them all.

Jan 14, 2010 at 5:28 PM Post #3 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by Prog Rock Man /img/forum/go_quote.gif
......you have to build bigger stands to fit them all.

Oh I'd already been pondering designs for attractive full-wall displays.

Jan 14, 2010 at 5:34 PM Post #4 of 25
Ericj, from your signature "Server rebuilt - better, stronger, faster. Still busier than a one-legged man at a butt-kicking contest, though." That reminds me of the time I was chased (seriously I had to run to get away) by a one legged beggar when I declined to give him any money!

Jan 14, 2010 at 7:31 PM Post #5 of 25
This is a clear sign that it's time to give away some headphones to some deserving folks on head-fi.

wink.gif

Jan 14, 2010 at 7:54 PM Post #6 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by nealric /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This is a clear sign that it's time to give away some headphones to some deserving folks on head-fi.

wink.gif

Heh, maybe some of the pairs i don't like so much . . .

Perhaps a raffle - make a donation to the rockbox project to enter maybe.

Jan 14, 2010 at 10:34 PM Post #8 of 25
When someone requests you bring a headphone to a meet and you can't figure out where you put it, or you realize it hasn't moved since the meet last year.

I don't have a section of wall big enough to display all my headphones, and if I tried, my wife would kill me.

Jan 14, 2010 at 10:41 PM Post #9 of 25
When you decide to order 2 more coat racks to help hold your headphones, because the 4 coat racks (and miscellaneous other headphone stands) that you already have are overstuffed, so adding 1 more coat rack just won't do it this time around.

Jan 14, 2010 at 11:03 PM Post #10 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by scompton /img/forum/go_quote.gif
When someone requests you bring a headphone to a meet and you can't figure out where you put it, or you realize it hasn't moved since the meet last year.

I don't have a section of wall big enough to display all my headphones, and if I tried, my wife would kill me.

I've got headphones, and one amp, that haven't been listened to since that denver meet i attended 18 months or so back.

As for the wife issue, uh, I'm single and own my own house
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 15, 2010 at 5:26 AM Post #11 of 25
When your wife can't cook dinner because using too many kitchen appliances while your headphone rig is switched on causes the main fuse to blow.

When all your spare storage space is full of product boxes and not personal items.

When you can't work out which headphones are plugged into your rig and have to pick each one up and listen to find out.

When you start contacting manufacturers asking for customisations or unique amps just so you have an excuse to use a pair of headphones that has been sitting in a box a while.

When you receive gear with enough frequency that the couriers automatically try the other of your nearby work or home address automatically if you are absent.

When you have more headphones than shoes or jackets.

When you have more headphones than your wife has handbags.

[size=xx-small]Ok, maybe I jest a tad, but more or less all of these have happened to myself or people I know.[/size]

Jan 15, 2010 at 5:57 AM Post #12 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by Currawong /img/forum/go_quote.gif
When you can't work out which headphones are plugged into your rig and have to pick each one up and listen to find out.

I frequently can't figure out why I'm not getting sound until I realize another pair of headphones is plugged in.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Currawong /img/forum/go_quote.gif
[size=xx-small]Ok, maybe I jest a tad, but more or less all of these have happened to myself or people I know.[/size]

Unfortunately, too many apply to me.

Jan 15, 2010 at 9:39 AM Post #14 of 25
When some of your pairs have not seen any use in months...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back