YinLvMei W1 Windows 10 AK4499 Transportable DAP
Feb 28, 2021 at 3:24 PM Post #151 of 164
Didn't realize i had already posted it in this thread

Last edited:
Mar 19, 2021 at 7:47 AM Post #152 of 164
It has been a while since my last update, but frankly I didn't do much. I used to have clicks and cracks in the sound sometimes, and I found out that it was due to the low latency kernel I was using. Switched back to the generic kernel and all is fine now.

The sound is now stable: Warm sound with fast dynamics, with nothing too north of neutral. It pairs very well with brighter cans like the Deno D9200 - it is an excellent pairing.

Recently, I started to completely switch of the graphical environment and just use the MPD with a simle client called Sonata.

Still I believe it is more an experimental device rather than a real transportable one, but if there would be possibility to develop something like MangoOS of iBasso on it, it would be a real killer.

May 24, 2021 at 11:10 AM Post #153 of 164
No bugs yet? I’m hoping that the sound of W0 will be a possible upgrade to the AR-M2. Windows is an interesting concept for daps, the last time I had a Windows device was HTC HD2 that runs on windows 6, sadly outmatched by Apple.

May 31, 2022 at 8:53 AM Post #156 of 164
Well...it has been a long time since I last started it...
20220531_145012_HDR.jpg

Jun 4, 2022 at 6:37 AM Post #159 of 164
the W0 is the best DAP I've ever heard. A bit of a PITA in some ways---but the sound is astounding. Much better than my Ibasso 220 Max. Better than the SChitt Bifrost 2. Better than the Burson. I just sold my RME Pro 2 fs because the W0 sounds better. I'm going to sell it to help finance a W1
I know it's not something to talk about here, but I'm interested in your m400 sales post. Please contact me if you are still willing to sell.

Feb 24, 2023 at 12:02 PM Post #163 of 164
I have to apologize for not posting much. I now own two W1's. The first one totally blew me away. I'm a professional jazz bassist by trade. Well over 100 recordings (one won a Grammy for engineering and two were voted "top cd's to die for"in Stereophile). I also design high end speakers for bass players and now for high end home audio. I'm just mentioning this because I'm super picky and I know exactly how instruments sound acoustically. I know my bass sound and it gives me a good perspective for listening.
The W1 is the best electronic purchase I've made.
1. With the 4499 chips it gives the exact sound balance in looking for. If you're a detail freak---forget it. Get a9038 based player. Cymbals sound like I know they should. Real acoustic music is much less dramatic than most electronics portray it . Some guys like their systems to overly dramatize music. That's cool with me. I'm just giving this information to describe my preferences. Which are not the last word---just my preferences.
Staging and imaging are really exceptional. Better than my Bifrost 2/ Auris 2f setup. Better than my RME with aNikola2 power supply. Both feed by a Sotm 200 streamer with their good power supply.
Depth and individual localization is amazing.

2.Windows
The huge advantage for me is Windows. The reason for this is Audirvana. It's WAY better sounding than any Android based player. You can also use Foobar or others. Not only does Audirvana sound great---- but here's the BIGGEST thing. Professional quality Vst3 parametric EQ plugins. I use Fabfilter which is virtually transparent. Costs$160. Best money I've spent on any aspect of my system--- headphones included. There are no headphones that can't be improved with eq. Only if it's of the highest quality. The W1 is the first device where I can really hear the differences between the dac filters. Turns out the one that I love(biggest soundstage, best bass reproduction) also rolls of the high end a bit after 10k. But---with the eq--i can put it back. Win win.
I have been searching for a special W1 that they were calling the W1S. Not the current W1S which is 9038 based. This is a super hotrodded version of the W1 (ak4499). Kindof like what Whitigir has done. Better components all around. Better power supply isolation. I think that the original W1 was around$2100. The"S" version was around$400 more. Man it's worth it. As great as the original W1 is---- this is better. Bass power and control are amazing.
I'm going to put my W1 up for sale so I can upgrade my iem.
Cons---the windows system is a bit glitchy. I've got it pretty dialed in and have no problems. I have used it as a main computer on the road, but it's not nearly as fluid as my laptop.( Audirvana is glitchy, too)
Also customer service is a pita. Unless you are fluent in Chinese. You can get answers, but you have to work for them.
For me----it's worth it for the musical experience

Quote Reply
Report Edit

First Prev18 of 18

Last edited:
Jan 16, 2024 at 1:20 PM Post #164 of 164
I`m read only good response about W1.
But after years ago - any DAP portable, or portable DAC-AMP, can sound quality is a better then W1?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back