YinLvMei W1 Windows 10 AK4499 Transportable DAP
Feb 18, 2021 at 4:59 PM Post #136 of 164
By the way, I noticed that, if I don't turn the sound module on (yes, it has an external switch to turn on and off), the device does not get warm.
Pretty much ordinary situation with YinLvMei products:) I've experienced the same with A1 and A2

Feb 20, 2021 at 4:24 AM Post #137 of 164
Dargin, are you enjoying audio Nirvana with W1?:) Can you share any findings\revelations\subliminal messages found in seemingly so familiar records?:)
And could you write a few words on how you managed to run APlayer and DSD playback on Linux?

Feb 20, 2021 at 9:26 AM Post #138 of 164
Dargin, are you enjoying audio Nirvana with W1?:) Can you share any findings\revelations\subliminal messages found in seemingly so familiar records?:)
And could you write a few words on how you managed to run APlayer and DSD playback on Linux?

Yes, for sure I am enjoying it! :) But I didn't want to comment much on the sound, as I noticed that the initial thickness is getting better by the time. It might be my brain burn-in but I think there is more than that. Out of the box, it was really thick and warm. Then compared it to DX300 and it was still thicker and warmer. Just half an hour ago I wanted to give it another try and I noticed something very interesting: With D9200 which is a dynamic HP, very revealing, clear and neutral in the midrange, it sounds still warmer and thicker than DX300, but with A18t IEM and Solitaire P, it sounded less thicker. Planar headphones are resistive only (I guess also BA IEMs) and dynamic HPs are also inductive. Could it be an interaction, I don't know.

But I imagine it might be more preferable for some people. I know some people find what I like too audiophile. I will come back to that later.

So, I am planning to leave it for some burn-in time for a few days. But If I apply a little bit of an EQ, the thickness is anyway gone. And what is left is a great depth and width, bass clarity with speed and punch. I think out of the box, I noticed also more bass, but I think l it is more neutral now.

Other observations: The volume control does not affect the line out level and line out can run parallel to the HP out. The balanced output is dead silent even with A18t which is a very low impedance IEM.

I installed the APlayer as a service to the system. For it to work (it works through ALSA directly, which is driver level access) you need to disable the Gnome sound server, pulse. The "bootable" images didn't boot but installing on Ubuntu is not an issue. Instead of Firefox, I installed the Midori browser which is very light weight and it works from it perfectly fine. But I experienced some crashes with some audio files which I didn't experience with other players, so I am not using it at the moment. After you install it, you have to set the sound device, let it know if you want PCM DSD conversion etc.

By the way, it uses UEFI to boot but as I understand although Atom processors are now 64 bits, they use 32 bit UEFI.

The music I listen to might not be very familiar to many but as said I like bass and I listen to bass players. :) This for example is my reference album recently. The bass sound is very round but can still pop up well in the cacophony if the excellent instrumentation. There are a few other pieces in the album, like with a bariton sax, that also serve well for me to judge the layering better. I also enjoy the album so much that I can just keep on "evaluating" non-stop:

I use this for evaluating the speed, texture and clarity of the bass (again, bass is very important for me):

This is the type of vocal music I listen to:

So these are music I listen to compare, but as said I will leave it for burn-in for a while.

Feb 20, 2021 at 9:32 AM Post #139 of 164
I always love new evaluation music. As for the first one, I have no idea what the band name is vs the song name. Any link to a bandcamp/similar where I can buy the album? That song is great

EDIT: Also, how TF is this "too audiophile"? Its just jazzy. I was expecting Hirakawa but worse.

Last edited:
Feb 20, 2021 at 9:39 AM Post #140 of 164
I always love new evaluation music. As for the first one, I have no idea what the band name is vs the song name. Any link to a bandcamp/similar where I can buy the album? That song is great

That is Alain Perez, who is a great Cuban bass player (he was playing for the legendary flamenco guitarist Paco de Lucia). The album's name is "El cuento de la buena pipa". This album and the previous one, ADN are great, but this one has a clearer production. I don't think he is on bandcamp, at least I couldn't find. I also like the album El Alma del Son.

Feb 20, 2021 at 10:01 AM Post #141 of 164
TYVM for the info. Im so use to YT music being ripped off somewhere I didnt realize that was the artists page. Btw, if you like bass players, its not the same genre, but this is one of the best bass focused songs I have ever come across

Feb 20, 2021 at 10:05 AM Post #142 of 164
TYVM for the info. Im so use to YT music being ripped off somewhere I didnt realize that was the artists page. Btw, if you like bass players, its not the same genre, but this is one of the best bass focused songs I have ever come across

Oooo... that is niiiice! Thank you!

Feb 20, 2021 at 10:09 AM Post #143 of 164
Oooo... that is niiiice! Thank you!
NP. Found this band a few weeks back and have utterly obsessed since. They have a decent variety of stuff too

Feb 20, 2021 at 1:54 PM Post #144 of 164
I left it blasting some old school death metal for "burn in" and tried it again with Solitaire P and I can for sure confirm that it is at the moment with Solitaire P the perfect couple. DX300 bass and mid-bass sounds overblown and in your face in comparison. All instruments in this piece sound more realistic with W1. It is a perfect balance. It sounds so awesome!

I need to check it with D9200 again for how it sounds. But it is very surprising how two different headphones reacted earlier to the same source.

One thing though, I get sometimes some seldom clicks while playing music. Maybe I should play round with buffer sizes etc.

Feb 22, 2021 at 3:55 AM Post #145 of 164
Yesterday I left it for burn-in and found out in the morning that the audio battery was finished and the digital battery was full. Possibly the charger I connected didn't supply enough power to cover both. The charger in the case is a 5v 3A charger, and the one I used was an old charger, I think 2A, which was not enough to charge both.

Anyway, currently it is a very neutral and warm sounding device. I checked shortly this morning an the mid-bass thickness wasn't noticeable. It is still warm has liquid musical upper mids and treble. Bass is fast and without any emphasis on any region. I will leave it for further burn in.

Feb 22, 2021 at 5:00 AM Post #146 of 164
It is so awesome to be able to take around a music player with PulseEffects integrated. Performance is good. I start the PulseEffects with PEQ playing a 96 kHz file and start a Firefox and no hickups.

I actually (one day) want to prepare a system image with all applications compiled specifically for Atom processor optimisations (possibly fo size). I am currently using the low latency kernel, maybe there is also some tweaking possible there... But it just is not a priority for now...

1613987980336.png

Last edited:
Feb 28, 2021 at 7:34 AM Post #148 of 164
Did you have time for more burn in and Linux tweaks?

I was just writing. :)

I couldn't do much this week but installed MPD works along with DSD playback up to DSD128. DSD256 didn't work, though it should have been available. About the sound, it is still where it was: Warm and lightly thicker signature with a little bit forward mids, well controlled bass with punch. Stage is large and deep. Compared to DX300 it has less forward bass, but it is better controlled.

The female vocal sound awesome. Especially listening to Cecilia Bartoli's velvety vocals are a treat. It is a very good tuning for listening to female vocals, especially when they have some weight to them.

Last edited:
Feb 28, 2021 at 2:19 PM Post #149 of 164
The music I listen to might not be very familiar to many but as said I like bass and I listen to bass players. :) This for example is my reference album recently. The bass sound is very round but can still pop up well in the cacophony if the excellent instrumentation. There are a few other pieces in the album, like with a bariton sax, that also serve well for me to judge the layering better. I also enjoy the album so much that I can just keep on "evaluating" non-stop:

I use this for evaluating the speed, texture and clarity of the bass (again, bass is very important for me):

This is the type of vocal music I listen to:

So these are music I listen to compare, but as said I will leave it for burn-in for a while.

Well, Dargin, since you like bass players, I'd recommend listening to this guy

I realize that he might be too heavy, but anyways. His Sleep Deprivation 2019 album is very, very cool, I think. Its not only groovy and full of technicality, but also demonstrates great variability and resourcefulness in musicianship, especially for a bass player)
When you start watching about the last minute of the video or listen to the last part of the track, you realize why dude's surname is HughHELL)))
And, of course, great Sean Malone needs to be mentioned. R.I.P. Did not have a chance to watch him live, but that Cynic show in Ukraine in 2008 is the thing I will remember for decades...

Feb 28, 2021 at 2:34 PM Post #150 of 164
Well, Dargin, since you like bass players, I'd recommend listening to this guy

I realize that he might be too heavy, but anyways. His Sleep Deprivation 2019 album is very, very cool, I think. Its not only groovy and full of technicality, but also demonstrates great variability and resourcefulness in musicianship, especially for a bass player)
When you start watching about the last minute of the video or listen to the last part of the track, you realize why dude's surname is HughHELL)))
And, of course, great Sean Malone needs to be mentioned. R.I.P. Did not have a chance to watch him live, but that Cynic show in Ukraine in 2008 is the thing I will remember for decades...

Oh, wow! I didn't know that he died! I am a fan of him since Cynic Focus and I am really shocked. So both Seans of Cynic died last year, then. I cannot believe it, really. He and Steve DiGiorgio are my favorite metal bassists. He was a crazy good musician. I am really really sad. :frowning2: Focus and Individual Thought Patterns are maybe my favorite metal albums ever.

I do listen to metal, even death metal but mostly old school stuff like Nile and Necrophagist. Thanks for the share. I will check them.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back