Yin Lu Mei m400 portable usb dac/amp (Ak4499, 3.5SE, 4.4BAL)
Sep 22, 2021 at 1:23 PM Post #76 of 123
Finally, a few months ago, I got M400plus too! :beyersmile: I bought AK KANN(original, pre-owned) and have connected with it, instead of my xduoo X10t II. It sounds great, but I'm already curious about the comparison between the HiFiman HM100 and M400PLUS... And there's no quirk with the display of my owned one. It always display two batterys, gain1-2, filter 1-6, and volume. If I change one of them, the display would be changed.
Welcome to the club) KANA, how's the overall M400+ experience? Have you got the M400+ built on AKM 4499 DAC or the one with ESS 9038 DAC (the M400E Plus model)?

Nov 12, 2021 at 5:57 PM Post #79 of 123
No luck. I can't get the m400plus to work with windows10, the device manager has unrecognized entries when I connect the dac.
Hm, since I installed the new driver a couple of weeks ago I haven't experienced a single issue with my M400 Plus and A2 as a DAC. Before, I had some episodes of sound distortion and disappearance for a minute or two (as if some buffer was overflown) in Win 10. With that, the software system volume adjustment slider froze for some time. I got this issue with both M400 Plus and A2 only in Win 10. After installing the latest driver, no such thing.
@alexeisk what motherboard and OS are you using? Have you tried connecting M400 Plus to another USB port?

Nov 13, 2021 at 9:48 AM Post #80 of 123
Hm, since I installed the new driver a couple of weeks ago I haven't experienced a single issue with my M400 Plus and A2 as a DAC. Before, I had some episodes of sound distortion and disappearance for a minute or two (as if some buffer was overflown) in Win 10. With that, the software system volume adjustment slider froze for some time. I got this issue with both M400 Plus and A2 only in Win 10. After installing the latest driver, no such thing.
@alexeisk what motherboard and OS are you using? Have you tried connecting M400 Plus to another USB port?
Thanks for the reply, @Bellyworshipper! Nice to get words of support! But I still haven't dealt with the problem, which is present on my two windows 10 computers regardless of which port the DAC is on. If you could help me with the drivers (pm please), I would be extremely happy. In any case I am happy with my m400plus and was buying it for portable use, connecting it to a computer would be an added convenience, nothing more.

I want to share an observation that might be useful to you. I still have two iFi devices from my old setup: the igalvanic3.0 and the iUSB3.0 micro. Connecting the source via these devices noticeably improves the sound, if you have a chance to get these devices somewhere to try them out, by all means do it!

Nov 25, 2021 at 7:59 PM Post #81 of 123
the igalvanic3.0 and the iUSB3.0 micro. Connecting the source via these devices noticeably improves the sound, if you have a chance to get these devices somewhere to try them out, by all means do it!
100% Agree. I have the iGalvanic and the iPurifier3. I can only imagine what the iUSB3.0 in the chain would do.

Jan 9, 2022 at 7:41 AM Post #82 of 123
Would any of the M400 owners have tried the Xduoo XD5-BAL or the iFi Gryphon?
Stumbled upon the M400e the other day and that could be contender against the two others for my desktop replacement. Plan is to moved everything to Bluetooth(I know) using a BTA30 Pro from my workstation to a *higher power amp/dac like the M400 in conjunction with my UTWS3 for the both the office and away-from-keyboard.

Jan 9, 2022 at 1:16 PM Post #83 of 123
M400e uses a different dac chip, so hard to say.

Jan 10, 2022 at 7:27 AM Post #85 of 123
Would any of the M400 owners have tried the Xduoo XD5-BAL or the iFi Gryphon?
Stumbled upon the M400e the other day and that could be contender against the two others for my desktop replacement. Plan is to moved everything to Bluetooth(I know) using a BTA30 Pro from my workstation to a *higher power amp/dac like the M400 in conjunction with my UTWS3 for the both the office and away-from-keyboard.
I have YLM m400+ (ess) and iFi Gryphon. I like the sound of YLM more, where, in my opinion, more interesting, denser and more structured bass, more melodic middle frequencies, the resolution in general is at the same level. Gryphon sounds less emotional, harsher, more rhythmic, electronic music sounds better on it, instrumental and vocal music sounds better on m400. The Gryphon is also much less noisy, especially noticeable with low-impedance headphones.
The Gryphon's Bluetooth LDAC sounds a lot better than the m400's aptX. The Gryphon connects well to a computer, I always had problems connecting to windows with the m400+ and this is a good reason for me to keep the Gryphon.
The workmanship of the Gryphon is much better, clearer working buttons, I have problems with them in the m400. I haven't seen the insides of the Gryphon, but I have had to open the m400 and inside it looks like the work of an enthusiast. The Gryphon has a large informative display, with several LEDs to help you quickly navigate the settings. The Gryphon also has more sound settings, but I'm not used to them yet, constantly going back to the sound without modification. Despite the fact that the m400 warms up a lot when in use, its battery lasts longer and I never had to stop listening to the m400 because of the battery, with the Gryphon I already managed to get into this situation. Also don't get your hopes up for YLM support, I've contacted it a couple of times with no result.

Jan 10, 2022 at 8:04 AM Post #86 of 123
I have YLM m400+ (ess) and iFi Gryphon. I like the sound of YLM more, where, in my opinion, more interesting, denser and more structured bass, more melodic middle frequencies, the resolution in general is at the same level. Gryphon sounds less emotional, harsher, more rhythmic, electronic music sounds better on it, instrumental and vocal music sounds better on m400. The Gryphon is also much less noisy, especially noticeable with low-impedance headphones.
The Gryphon's Bluetooth LDAC sounds a lot better than the m400's aptX. The Gryphon connects well to a computer, I always had problems connecting to windows with the m400+ and this is a good reason for me to keep the Gryphon.
The workmanship of the Gryphon is much better, clearer working buttons, I have problems with them in the m400. I haven't seen the insides of the Gryphon, but I have had to open the m400 and inside it looks like the work of an enthusiast. The Gryphon has a large informative display, with several LEDs to help you quickly navigate the settings. The Gryphon also has more sound settings, but I'm not used to them yet, constantly going back to the sound without modification. Despite the fact that the m400 warms up a lot when in use, its battery lasts longer and I never had to stop listening to the m400 because of the battery, with the Gryphon I already managed to get into this situation. Also don't get your hopes up for YLM support, I've contacted it a couple of times with no result.
Thanks for the summary!
Sadly didn't make any easier to choose :wink:

Jan 10, 2022 at 8:44 AM Post #87 of 123
Does anyone know if the M400 can be used while charging, like a desktop amp?
Thanks

Thanks for the summary!
Sadly didn't make any easier to choose :wink:
There is a difference in sound, it is noticeable, but considering the reliability, support, bluetooth and connectivity of the two I would choose the Gryphon. For YLM make sure that you will be given a warranty, I had to repair my m400 by local electronic engineer and for money: YLM support told me that the device sold abroad will not be covered by warranty. Also Gryphon is more pleasant to hold in hands, it is more pleasant to use, it is a modern product in terms of user experience.

Jan 11, 2022 at 7:17 PM Post #89 of 123
There is a difference in sound, it is noticeable, but considering the reliability, support, bluetooth and connectivity of the two I would choose the Gryphon. For YLM make sure that you will be given a warranty, I had to repair my m400 by local electronic engineer and for money: YLM support told me that the device sold abroad will not be covered by warranty. Also Gryphon is more pleasant to hold in hands, it is more pleasant to use, it is a modern product in terms of user experience.
You mind me asking what failed in your m400?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back